Ships Imperial Cutter Speculation Thread

I'm guessing that the launched Fighters will be like in CQC where not everything, like Landing Gear, is available so docking at outposts will still be impossible.

The fighters be launched in the main game will be based on the fighters that are already in the main game.

Those fighters do indeed have landing gear. They don't just float inside their mother ship.

It's possible the reason why the very large trading ships are reserved for season 2 is because the ships require huge landing pads, which would only be found on planet surfaces. Non-season 2 owners wouldn't be able to purchase ships which could only be docked on huge pads.

Having a smaller dockable ship on board these would allow these enormous ships to interact with stations for all but outfitting and shipyard services.

One of the posts by the devs (can't remember which one) stated that 1.5 (The Ships Update) was going to come out alongside of Horizons. They did say, however, that it was part of Horizons. So available to all.
edit:
*snip*

Continuing the theme of what’s coming next after the CQC Championship update. The big release is Elite Dangerous: Horizons, but we also have the 1.5 “Ships” release for season 1 as well. This is planned for release at the same time as Horizons – the ships will be there for all, both season 1 and season 2, but of course Season 2 players will get a lot more, including Planetary Landings, so there’ll be something for everyone on the same day. This will bring the total to 30 ships (plus the Cobra Mk IV) available in game.

Along with already announced Federal Corvette, the Imperial Gutamaya Shipyards are releasing the Imperial Cutter and the Asp Scout and Viper Mk IV will see their debuts, too. There will more information on these ships in future newsletters.

Thanks!

Michael

Last edited:
I hope they dont continue their 'recycling-hulls' strategy, like the diamontback scout/explorer types, federal dropship/assault ship,
and then slap the label 'new' on praticly the same looking ship, with minor cosmetic changes, even the cockpits looks the same on those ships i just mentioned... just one of either ships was enough for me personally.

The clipper is a visual masterpiece, i will never ever sell that ship, i love it!...i can only hope, and dream(i cannot yet afford one anyway) that the upcoming 'cutter' is a trully differrent, but somehow still has the tell-tale empire signature, and just as dazzelingly beautiful, as the clipper, and the courier wich looks great too.

Last edited:
I hope they dont continue their 'recycling-hulls' strategy, like the diamontback scout/explorer types, federal dropship/assault ship,
and then slap the label 'new' on praticly the same looking ship, with minor cosmetic changes, even the cockpits looks the same on those ships i just mentioned... just one of either ships was enough for me personally.

While I agree that the DBE and DBS look very similar, I think the individual Federal ships look sufficiently different while still retaining a common manufacturer/brand feeling, what is exactly how it should be, IMO.

Just look at this fantastic ship size comparison chart, created by fellow forum member Janichsan:

NcvxJts.jpg

it conveys the point I tried to make very well, doesn't it? The hulls of the Federal, Gunship, Dropship and Assault Ship all have pretty unique shapes.

Would it be safe to guess that it would be about as long as the Orca?

How much wider than the Clipper can it get before it can't fit on a large pad?

I think the Cutter from the books is very similar to the Clipper in looks, so I guess it is going to be longer but same wing span as Clipper and will just fit on the largest landing pad.

I'm speculating firepower will be maybe, 4xclass 2, 2 on top, 2 under, 2xclass 3, most likely on top of engines, 1xclass 4 on a ventral centreline mount.
Probably going to fit a single fighter bay, and probably going to fit a class 7 FSD, so it'll out-jump any competition.

Lol, half the federation will be flying these things. How feds get empire tech and vice versa is a joke. Here have my SU-27 for a ride on your bike.

I can't wait for the Cutter! I just hope it isn't much wider than the Clipper otherwise I may have problems piloting it through the mailbox! And hopefully it will have a better hardpoint configuration than tge Corvette, maybe 1 huge, 3 large and 2 medium?

They also need to sort out a medium Imperial ship!

I wouldn't be surprised if the design of this ship resembles the Majestic Class Interdictor, given the Federal Corvettes resemblance to the Farragut Battle Cruiser.

I say it will be "Duke", since the Federal Corvette has already been announced as the largest player-controllable Federation ship and I suppose the Cutter will be the Imperial counterpart. Therefore it should be a sufficiently high rank to acquire it.

There is a term called Corvette captain, that as the name implies a captain of a covette class warship.In most cases this rank in modern terms is Lieutenant commander. the 9th rank in the elite system, thus the empire counterpart is count.

So it is more likely to be count, also i don't think Fdev want to lock it behind a crazy rep grind, but instead a hard work rep, as getting to count even in 1.4 rep system is doable without loosing your wits.If it where locked behind duke i even at marquis would need to do over 200 charity missions to get to Duke. i am prepared for Duke grind just in case but anything higher and i will lose my mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if the design of this ship resembles the Majestic Class Interdictor, given the Federal Corvettes resemblance to the Farragut Battle Cruiser.

i wonder if this is the reason for the wait for them to show it?
we know the early concept arts for all the empire ships have that Enterprise like cell engine design, and there are two concepts we have seen of the cutter from the early days

this http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net..._art_01.png/revision/latest?cb=20150720231053
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130720191055/elite-dangerous/images/0/01/Empire_Courier.jpg

dont mind the courier tag on the second one, as the whole naming of the empires ships only got finalized later in the game.

but i do wonder if they decided to give it more of a ship like look with having one long hull like the majestic class interdictor

Last edited:
It will run OSX Yosemite.

- - - Updated - - -

So it is more likely to be count, also i don't think Fdev want to lock it behind a crazy rep grind, but instead a hard work rep, as getting to count even in 1.4 rep system is doable without loosing your wits.If it where locked behind duke i even at marquis would need to do over 200 charity missions to get to Duke. i am prepared for Duke grind just in case but anything higher and i will lose my mind.

All we have to do is kill an emperor and wait for the coronation of the new one...

So... do we know anything about this ship yet, anything at all?

We have one, very old concept image; but don't know if it's still valid (some speculated that became the Clipper). It does look a lot like the Clipper, though the nose / canopy seems relatively smaller. But it's hard to judge based on that - given in ED the canopies are misleadingly large. They give the impression the craft is a lot smaller than it is, until you get up close and see the pilot's size dwarfed in that huge cockpit. If the canopy in the Cutter is similarly oversized, then the Cutter would be absolutely massive.

Is it definitely larger than the Clipper? Because the Clipper is one of the largest ships in the game, so it's either going to be a near copy of that, or else it'll need some new way to dock!

It's the ship that most intrigues me (bar the Keelback, which has me wondering..)

Top Bottom