Seamless planetary landings

Which should come first, planetary landings or walking around on ships and stations?

• Walking around on ships and stations

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • Planetary landings

Votes: 92 56.4%

• Total voters
Talking of scale, I hope the planets, moons and other interstellar whatnot are true to scale vs. player ships and the like.

Planetary ports could offer goods not available on space stations. For example it would make sense for livestock to not be available from a station due to the upkeep costs. The same could be said for high volume, low value items - orbital storage costs would be prohibitive.

Also, it should be easier to trade in black market goods in a shady planetside bar, meaning they wouldn't need to be smuggled into a station before being sold.

Planetary ports could offer goods not available on space stations. For example it would make sense for livestock to not be available from a station due to the upkeep costs. The same could be said for high volume, low value items - orbital storage costs would be prohibitive.

Also, it should be easier to trade in black market goods in a shady planetside bar, meaning they wouldn't need to be smuggled into a station before being sold.

Very good points! +1

Valid points.

It does make me wonder though. If I rocked up to a station with a cargo-hold full of cattle from planet-side... in theory... would I *make* more money? (because it's food & they're expensive to port to space) or would I lose money (because space is premium and no-one wants to pay for the storage costs?)

I think that planetary landing/take-off could be very fuel expensive, as in real-life, so that would balance out the reductions of planetside prices to a degree. There could be specially designed vessels for land-to-space transportation, but unless a player owns one, it would be more economical to trade from space-stations (in most instances).

Also fuel-burn could be very much dependent on the mass of planets - so it's cheaper and easier to land on less massive planets. Rich planets could build space-elevators to make it more economical for players to transport goods directly from the planet.

I'm a massive fan of seamless planetary landings..

But I can't think how that's going to work in Elite Dangerous, because - without the Stardreamer / time acceleration, it would take forever in realtime to enter an atmosphere...

I think this is why Frontier have been sheepish commenting on it - I think it will be impossible to implement & bad for gameplay.

Thoughts & comments?

I hope it does feature somehow - because it's part of Elite's soul for me.

I'm a massive fan of seamless planetary landings..

But I can't think how that's going to work in Elite Dangerous, because - without the Stardreamer / time acceleration, it would take forever in realtime to enter an atmosphere...

I think this is why Frontier have been sheepish commenting on it - I think it will be impossible to implement & bad for gameplay.

Thoughts & comments?

I hope it does feature somehow - because it's part of Elite's soul for me.

Easy, don't make it take forever to enter an atmosphere and land.

In real life it could take a long time (I dunno, I'm not a rocket appliance) but that doesn't mean it has to in game.

It's the future, we have space ships, there's some magic shielding that means you slice through the atmosphere like a hot knife through butter at full speed. Slam the anchors on last minute and then land. Boom, How's that for a slice of fried gold plated latinum

So, i've just sent this message to FD:

Hi!

Will all my respects, i think you should include planetary landings on Day 1. This is why:

I know you don't want to include them on Day 1 because you want to make them really rich And that's great, but i think you could release the game with a basic planetary landing model, like Frontier Elite II, and then, make an Update a year later or so, that makes the planets a lot richer with more options. But i think you really should include the basic planetary landings on day 1, because for me it is one of the UNIQUE features that Frontier has over other games. If planetary landings were on day 1, you could advertise them! THAT would help pledges.
Also, if you need to sacrifice something on Day 1, sacrifice something else, but not a unique feature of your game.

Valid, but DB does have a point. A bad planetary landing is probably more damaging than none at all for the moment.

As soon as they reveal "you can land on planets!" - someone will say "what more can I do when I have?" and there needs to be an answer to that.

Having said that though, the thought does occur that given the size of the galaxy - some planets or moons would be empty anyway, no bases, no life - so for those, there'd be no harm in being able to land.... all you really do need for those is a height map.

I think they made the right decision to do all this in updates to the game, get a good basic game then build on it.

Last edited:
Valid, but DB does have a point. A bad planetary landing is probably more damaging than none at all for the moment.

As soon as they reveal "you can land on planets!" - someone will say "what more can I do when I have?" and there needs to be an answer to that.

Having said that though, the thought does occur that given the size of the galaxy - some planets or moons would be empty anyway, no bases, no life - so for those, there'd be no harm in being able to land.... all you really do need for those is a height map.

I think it would not harm if it's like Frontier Elite II, in the sense that you could land on a planet. And planets had stations, very similar to the space stations you have in outer space. At first it would be just that: like a space station on a planet surface. That would be no harm, and that would be good because would be a unique feature. Then, with time, you could make an Update, and tell everyone: Planetary Landing improved: You now have big cities, lots of trees, and lots of other options!

I'm with Imperial Courier on this one.

I'd prefer a basic planetary landing experience on day 1, restricted to visiting a spaceport with an update providing more functionality and improving the look further down the line.

I'm sure most people would be happy to overlook less-than-detailed surfaces in the phase 1 release. I don't see people complaining about the blocky graphics on minecraft...

You'd be utterly amazed, but that doesn't mean anything in real terms.

If Frontier Developments came out and said that seamless planetary landings are not planned for the first release of the Elite Dangerous, would it affect how you feel about the project? Would it influence your pledge level? Would you support it just as much with or without seamless planetary landings?
Well, they've confirmed it's not in for initial release - I think we can expect to see pledges being cancelled to be honest.

planetary landings are a big deal for me immersion wise, I'm left wondering if DB and FD have seen the I-Novae engine (infinity: quest for earth engine) now THAT is some impressive procedural technology. when i saw the engine demo I reminded me so much of frontier, just more modern

http://youtu.be/yrcEUO7TC28

Is a bummer but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of pulled pledges. I won't be pulling my pledge. Only in for £20 at the moment as I know I can afford that in the new year. May up it if I've got spare cash on the last day and we need a boost.

Well, they've confirmed it's not in for initial release - I think we can expect to see pledges being cancelled to be honest.

Yeah, I'm really glad they've made an unambiguous statement about their development plans, it was exactly what is needed right now. Their plan does seem sensible although I think it should have been made clear from day one as there were certain clues (eg. the cloud prototype) that implied it seamless planetary landings be there from the start. I hope that backers do not feel as though they have been misled.

From personal point of view this isn't going to affect my pledge as I made it based upon the information that was factual at that time. On the other hand if they had announced that seamless planetary landings were going to be in the game I would probably have increased my pledge.

I'm not convinced they have made the right choice but I can see why they have made it. I believe that most players would be happy with "Frontier Elite" style planet surfaces (with modern graphics) and the surface gameplay could be planting mining rigs and buying terrestrial goods and minerals for cheaper prices.

Is a bummer but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of pulled pledges. I won't be pulling my pledge. Only in for £20 at the moment as I know I can afford that in the new year. May up it if I've got spare cash on the last day and we need a boost.

Neither I won't be pulling my £20 pledge. But the only reason i won't be pulling it is because it's just a £20 pledge, so it's still a bargain. What i can tell you is that if i had pledged more than £20 i would be reducing it right now to £20.

What's more, i won't be rising my pledge in the near future. If planetary landing was confirmed on Day 1, then i would rise my pledge to £40 or £50.

I just upped my pledge, AS long as the feature is coming I see no point of being angry about it. I would not like a basic landing feature...it would ruin the experience of landing on a new planet.

I just upped my pledge, AS long as the feature is coming I see no point of being angry about it. I would not like a basic landing feature...it would ruin the experience of landing on a new planet.

Well, the point is this: one thing is something 100% sure, another different thing is a promise. That's 2 very different things. That's is why i am deceived. So, we don't even know when that promise will take place. Maybe half a year? Maybe 1 year? Maybe 2? Look, i'm not angry, because i can't be. They tell us the game features on Day 1. And i pledge accordingly to that. I wouldn't recommend anyone to pledge according to promises.

This kickstarter campaign is starting to bother me a litte, over a million to get started, and release date that is really just about a year and a bit away, very little to show so far, no planetary landings. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Remember First Encounters, a bug ridden mess, if they think they can release a polished product in a year they are crazy, they will release a rough game like everyone does nowadays and just patch it all the time. I don't think this a good time frame for a game that has barely begun production, and planetary flight is a deal breaker for me personally, even if they included it at laucnh at a basic level then improved upon it, that would be cool.

no more pledges from me.

Top Bottom