Release EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website

@Alien. You seem to have missed something in the reddit thread. It turned out that commander bilago has made a GUI for it. You don't need to install Ruby for this as it contains everything in one zip file. Download it and got it running without problems. It takes quite a while to calculate everything and haven't waited for it to complete but it seems to work.

ED Trade Route Generator GUI - By Bilago

Please report back if this did work for you and how good the routes are. Would be appreciated.
I tried using the GUI, and it's exactly what this script needed, but all it does for me is create a text document called "Error" that says the following: "There was a fatal error using DLL Resources: The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform."

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I tried using the GUI, and it's exactly what this script needed, but all it does for me is create a text document called "Error" that says the following: "There was a fatal error using DLL Resources: The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform."

Sad ;-(
I tried it on Windows 7 64 bits. I ran it by double clicking on EliteDangerousRouteGUI.exe in windows explorer.
What is your system?

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Before EDCodex was released on the 17th of August, in the period 5th - 10th of August every author in it received an invitation with a special link. After registering and logging in they automatically became owner of their entry/entries. Its possible an author missed the PM, has been (temporarily) away from ED, still is away, or possibly decided not to claim their entry/entries for whatever valid reason. Yesterday all authors have received either a post in their thread, or when not available received a PM. Purpose: Reminding them that they can still claim their entry, because the special link for security reasons will be disabled in the (near) future.

The first batch of invites was send on Friday and yesterday the rest. As of Friday the number of page views, users on the website has increased quite a lot. Yesterday it has increased again. Exposure for this thread helps commanders finding EDECodex ;-)

In the process of creating posts I found 4+ entries which were not 100% correct, sometimes an url was wrong or another small issue was at hand. Quite a few commanders DID use the special link in the past but also a sizeable percentage did not. Yesterday it resulted in a few commanders activating their entry/entries. So in all it was productive.

Note: If you find irregularities please DO report them. It will be appreciated by us and the community. With 215+ (and growing) entries in EDCodex its impossible for us to be 100% sure that everything is correct - as has been proven yesterday. I can't emphasize the community part of EDCodex enough.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Spend a day weeding out duplicates in EDCodex. Biobob has made a tool to detect duplicates so that made it do able;-)

Next phase will be to detect duplicates when an entry is entered - the check is on the url links. For the old duplicates (and possibly also for future dupes) he will create a redirect mechanism. When a dupe exists it will be possible for admins to state which off the dupes is leading - the original entry. When a dupe is then accessed the leading entry will be shown. Basic principle of EDCodex, no entries are deleted (they can be hidden or archived however). This is not to break bookmarked entries or ones which are in the RSS feeds. The redirect will probably be silent.

For the time being I've done the following. For a dupe entry there is now text shown and a link to the original entry. An example can be found here.

Dupes where added by commanders new to EDCodex but also by myself ;-( When entering a new entry please check if the title you want to use (often includes title of the tool) is already in EDCodex. Most of the time you know who the author is, that is also a good check. In both cases use the "search" functionality. It allows you to search for (part of) the title and (part of) the authorname. It works like a charm.

Luckily there were not that many dupes, approx 7 or so. As EDCodex has around 215 entries that is not bad. The new dupe mechanism should make dupes invisible and the change of them being entered minimized.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
For fun checked how many emails (initial email and all the responses) biobob and myself have created since the start of the project. Turns out 1377 in the Gmail labels we created for EDCodex and a guesstimated approx 100+ which are still in the inbox. Hence in total approx 1500 emails. Holy smoke. Total time spend on project, approx a Conda worth. NOT good. The good thing, haven't played ED that long that when I will have time I can enjoy both the beta of 1.5 'ships' and beta of 'Horizons' to the fullest, its as if I start with a fresh new game....

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex has been added to the fan site section of the Official ED Community website!!!!

Biobob and mysyself are VERY EXCITED now that EDCodex is on the fan site section of the official ED Community website.

Almost immediately after EDCodex was publicly released on the 17th of August 2015 we asked FD using the proper channels if EDCodex could be added to the ED Community website. The end result is here today. Champagne!!

We both want to thank (in alphabetical order) the Community managers Zac Antonaci, Brett C. and Edward Lewis who made this possible. It took a bit longer then we hoped but they have to be careful that what is added to the ED Community Website is SAS compliant - Safe And Suitable. After all EDCodex is community driven and every one can and is encouraged to add entries there so they had to potentially check around 215 entries ;-)

Fun fact (or not): Biobob and myself after we have been contacted by Brett C. this week (for a suitable image for the fan site) have been watching the fansite RSS feed like a hawk to see when it would be added. I was typing a CONGRATZ message to biobob and literally 3 seconds before I could hit the SEND button I received an CONGRATZ email from him!!!

Very curious what it will mean with regard to users and pageviews for the EDcodex.info website now that we are on the fan site of the Official ED Community website. Visit us today and create a MAJOR peak!!!

Note: RSS Feed for the fan site section. You need to have a RSS reader installed in your browser otherwise you will only see a website page with XML in it.

Cmdr Biobob
Cmdr Wolverine

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
It has been an excellent week so far for EDCodex.

• EDCodex has made it to the fan site section of the official ED Community website.
  • The EDCodex thread (this one) has become a STICKY.
Our sincere and humble thanks goes to the entire Community managers time for making it possible. Totally appreciated.

In football terms. EDCodex has made two goals. Lets make that a hat-trick ;-)

If you all want to make this week even better for us, please register, login and start adding one or more entries. The whole community would benefit from your efforts. Even if only a small/tiny fraction of the commanders would add only one entry it would have a BIG impact on the number of entries. It would be mean that the authors of the entries in EDCodex would get the attention/exposure they TRULY deserve. For more info see here.

Cmdr Biobob
Cmdr Wolverine

Last edited:
Hi Cmdr!
To celebrate the new addition of EDCodex to the official community website I made a small update on EDCodex:
there is a new menu to see the list of all current live streams on Twitch (updated every 10mins)
Live Streams can be filtered by language or by keyword (Exploration, CQC...).
I hope some Cmdr will find this useful :)

More features coming soon...

Cmdr Biobob
Cmdr Wolverine

Last edited:
Good Work ! With regards to the above, why not adding your ED Codex link to some Commanders' signature ? I wouldn't mind having a nice signature which could promote EDCodex ...

New EDCodex updates - Add a "Toolbox" section on the website:
- Signature generator: Now registered users can generate their own personalized EDCodex signature ;)
- E: D Timeline: Add an Elite: Dangerous releases timeline (major releases only) WITH a list of related submitted entries to read.

(this is the first part of "Toolbox update": more small features incoming)

EDCodex updated with the new Ships mod,
details and feedbacks on the dedicated thread.

List of features for EDCodex Ships mod:
- list of all ED Ships with some filters and basic data (using some json files from coriolis.io),
- detailed page for each ship with related thread on reddit & videos on youtube (using API)
- direct links to fit each ships on existing ED fitting tool (coriolis, edshipyard & roguey).

Cmdr Wolverine
Cmdr Biobob

Last edited:
Small update when editing entry on field "Supported languages": now using the full ISO 639-1 languages list instead of ingame langs only.

Last edited:
Could not find a way to report a issue with a Link on the site, so here it is.

http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=60

Name: Elite Dangerous 2D Galaxy Map
Author: Arktac13

Link is dead, domain has expired, thread in forums shows the creator has dumped the project, so this site is not active and needs to be flagged as such or removed.

Thanks.

Could not find a way to report a issue with a Link on the site, so here it is.

http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=60

Name: Elite Dangerous 2D Galaxy Map
Author: Arktac13

Link is dead, domain has expired, thread in forums shows the creator has dumped the project, so this site is not active and needs to be flagged as such or removed.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback :)
i've add a warn on the entry & send a PM to the author in order to know if the project is definitely dead (maybe he just forgot to renew his domain: expired 2 weeks ago).

EDCodex updated with the new Ships mod,
- direct links to fit each ships on existing ED fitting tool (coriolis, edshipyard & roguey).
Neat idea, helping out everyone. You guys are doing a great job with the Codex. Big thanks for including the links too :)

This thread is great and the ED Codex website awesome. Thanks to the community members who support these.

I found the Elite Devs Forum Tracker by Commander Bewilderbeest to be fantastic and used it all the time but it seems to be dead. Is there news or an alternative? I don't like the twitter feed version as the posts are not complete and every one requires clicking to open the original.

This thread is great and the ED Codex website awesome. Thanks to the community members who support these.

I found the Elite Devs Forum Tracker by Commander Bewilderbeest to be fantastic and used it all the time but it seems to be dead. Is there news or an alternative? I don't like the twitter feed version as the posts are not complete and every one requires clicking to open the original.

Hi!
First Thx ;)

About Elite Devs Forum Tracker apparently no news from the author since a while, there is a thread about that: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189014
I will move it as a deprecated entry if no answer in a couple of week.

There is two alternatives :
A RSS Feed: http://edcodex.info/?m=threads&entry=35 but also need clicking on the entries to read the details on FD forum
and a small javascript app to use in browser: http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=105 (not tested but seem to be interesting)

If there is no news Cmdr Bewilderbeest (and if people want it) I could contact authors of the RSS Feed & Js app to see if something else can be done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom