Horizons double 12hr download?

So Steam just completed a 12hr download that was Horizons...I then run the launcher and it instructs me to instal 64bit Horizons via the launcher before i can play which is another 12 download??

What is happening!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but there is not a lot Frontier can do about your poor internet connection. 12 hours to download the game (even once) is an extremely long time.

That should not be happening. I downloaded Horizons on Steam, just like you, and it was ready to play. No additional downloads were required.

That should not be happening. I downloaded Horizons on Steam, just like you, and it was ready to play. No additional downloads were required.

This basically my point, yes i do have a slow connection, however once steam downloaded it, i was not expecting to do it all again!

I opened the Launcher (blue), and it prompted me to "instal 64 bit installer" despite already loading the new launcher (i thought), it is now "syncing files" which is another 12h's

:):):)?

Did you run "Elite Dangerous: Horizons" in Steam? It's delivered as a seperate game. If you run the old "Elite: Dangerous", then yeah, it will be a completely different download. You'll be installing Horizons twice.

This is an issue that confuses some people who already had Elite on Steam and then bought Horizons and have both installed.

Last edited:
Did you run "Elite Dangerous: Horizons" in Steam? It's delivered as a seperate game. If you run the old "Elite: Dangerous", then yeah, it will be a completely different download. You'll be installing Horizons twice.

This is an issue that confuses some people who already had Elite on Steam and then bought Horizons and have both installed.

This is correct..thus how do i run Horizons without needing to download twice??? Gee why did they make it so confusing?

This is correct..thus how do i run Horizons without needing to download twice??? Gee why did they make it so confusing?
There is a way. In the Steam "common" directory (where the "Elite Dangerous" directory is), create an "Elite Dangerous Horizons" directory and in it a "Products" subdirectory. Then copy the "elite-dangerous-64" directory from the original "Elite Dangerous" directory into the "Elite Dangerous Horizons\Products" directory. Then start the download. Steam will not download much, since you just copied it over and the majority of data files are exactly the same.

Yeah, that's stupid as hell, but it works.

There is a way. In the Steam "common" directory (where the "Elite Dangerous" directory is), create an "Elite Dangerous Horizons" directory and in it a "Products" subdirectory. Then copy the "elite-dangerous-64" directory from the original "Elite Dangerous" directory into the "Elite Dangerous Horizons\Products" directory. Then start the download. Steam will not download much, since you just copied it over and the majority of data files are exactly the same.

Yeah, that's stupid as hell, but it works.

Thanks but surely Steam can create a new launcher or the new launcher tie with Steam. Im refusing to have 2x the game downloaded on my drive..i have yet to play i dont fancy messing with files. I cant believe that FDEV made such a blunder considering most people have there games on Steam!

Top Bottom