Horizons Absolutely Disgusting

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I bought the base game a while ago because it looked great. Spent just about $80 Australian Dollars for it. Now that Horizons has come around at a staggering price of an additional $84 Australian Dollars, I will have had to drop a staggering $164 Australian Dollars. However, if I hadn't played the game earlier and I had come to the game fresh right now, I would get the entire game plus Horizons for only $84 Australian Dollars. Even when taking in the discount that I just learned I'll get for being a previous player of the game, I will pay $142 Australian Dollars while a newcomer only has to pay $84.

Why is this? Does Frontier hate people for playing the game before Horizons came out?

I don't necessarily agree with it. I would have thought that everyone would have to purchase both Season 1 (ED) and Season 2 (Horizons). That's how I've seen it with other games with expansions. I had already purchased Season 1, but then forked out for the LEP when it became available again. For the amount of time I've spent enjoying this game... worth it.

I think "Absolutely Disgusting" might be getting a bit carried away.

Sigh.. Another ones of these. Its a subscription model. It may be non standard but so is the game itself. do you want season 3 entrants to pay 3x$80? No matter how you slice it Frontier will need more money to continue developing the game and at the same time they need to discount existing content at some point.

so you purchased and played ED for 'about a year' and now you are complaining at having to buy Horizons at full price (less a small discount) because people who never played the original game, only have to buy Horizons to play Horizons? now, i don't object to that at all, i have had many many hours of fun for my £40 (£3.33 per month, or 76p per week if you prefer)

had i wanted to, the same as anyone else, i could just continue playing Elite for another year, at no extra cost. however, me myself, along with many others, can see the value in this product, as such we decided to pay £30 for Horizons (just a measly 58p per week over the next year) knowing that our money is well spent, we will continue to have great fun, as the game continues to evolve, and further more, that money will help keep the FDev machine running for another year.

Last edited:
Think of it this way. How many games are out there worth 60$ US dollars give give your at least 1000 Hours of gameplay

I am an Australian, & I pre-ordered both games, in 2014 & 2015 respectively, & it cost me around $90 (Australian) in total. My advice is to perhaps wait until later on in the year & pick up Horizons at a discount price.

I have bought ED when it launched. Not long ago my son wanted elite too and when I noticed black friday pricing I thought well 12 euros and he got ED too. Horizons for both of us was abit more expensive but my son got horizon discount even I payed only 12 euros for ED. So we are happy for the discounts even though it was not free. And we got cobra iv's, black paint jobs etc. Like it's been said here, if you buy 40 euro game and play it for 60 hours you are happy. With elite those playing hours are for bigger. So you always have to see the price / time consumed factor. But if you don't like elite at all then it's alot of money spent for nothing. I played elite back then with amiga so I know what to expect.

Had I thought of it before I should have bought the Lifetime Pass, However by the time I made my mind up the Lifetime Pass was removed from the store. When I bought the game in March my PC was slightly below the requirements to barely play it. The moment I purchased a new pc I downloaded it and bought a flight stick to play it. Been playing it ever since and enjoy it. Your are entitled to your opinion but in order to develop the game that David Braden had in mind it takes a community to support it and grow with it. at least you didn't pay $10K for a 3d portrait of a space sim that is "Absolutely Disgusting".

Horizons is a standalone game, but could be viewed as an expansion just as much.

Seen many people say its annoying to pay a full price for something like this, it does seem a bit trolling like, because we live in 2016 (soon) and games that come out cost 50-60$ USD easily, and expansions the same, I don't look twice or raise a single eyebrow at games with expansion packs and their prices, given if it was 70$ then perhaps.

But the less than 150$ I've spent on FD and ED so far is nothing compared to the 2000-3000$ I've spent on WoW alone. Or the money I've spent on other games as well. Expansions and games cost, subs cost, but it is my most loved hobby to play games.

If you don't want to use that much money on a hobby then perhaps a new hobby would be possibly to look into?

(Not saying that one should spend thousands of USD on a hobby, but over the course of a decade 5000 for a hobby is fairly little compared to other hobbies one can have)

I bought the base game a while ago because it looked great.
You will need to quantify "a while".

If you only bought ED a couple of weeks ago then there is some merit to your complaint (although you'd have had to have been living under a rock not to know that Horizons was coming, and what its pricing structure was). On the other hand if you've had 6+ months of gameplay out of ED it defeats the argument a bit. Why is the new guy paying less? Because he'll have significantly less time enjoying the product(s) than you had.

I agree that ED has an unique and potentially confusing pricing model but once you realise that it's effectively an annual subscription then it makes more sense. At a rate equivalent to less than £4 per month I don't think it's an excessively pricey one either. And unlike traditional subscription games you can stop paying your "subs" at any point and continue playing indefinitely with the features you already have.

Disclaimer: I have two LEPs so my enjoyment of ED shouldn't cost me another bean aside from cosmetic purchases and hardware upgrades. Were this not the case I would have no qualms about paying £40 each year for a further 12 months of development, especially having seen the quality of the simulation in Horizons.

Basically you have to look at the pricing structure when buying ED and make a balanced choice. You have to think, "Am I prepared to buy each season as it is released, or should I invest in the Lifetime Expansion Pass if FD offer it again?". The latter, although expensive, will save you money in the long run. Of course it also comes down to income, and whether you can afford each season separately, but my suggestion would be saving up your pennies just in case FD do release another LXP when Season 3 comes along. :)

You can wait until Elite Dangerous is feature complete in five years or so, and then buy the whole thing once for a single price of about £40,--. Bargain.

You don't want to wait? Then you have to pay for early access to each season as it comes along. Sure, that will cost you more, but look at it this way: the Elite Dangerous on your PC today is the equivalent of having a $200,-- Star Citizen ship in your hangar for you to look at and walk around. It's your philanthropic contribution to seeing this game realised. And I suspect that for all its flaws and lack of content, Elite Dangerous is more fun than walking around a hangar looking at a ship model you can't yet fly.

i still dont get this argument.
if you own the bease game you get a discount.
And how is it different from buying a game for full price then a dlc. but some one else gets the game later during a sale + the dlc brand new full price and still pays less than you did for the main game alone?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom