Release ED ToolBox - A companion app

What is ED ToolBox?

ED ToolBox is web app that runs on the user's computer, allowing a virtually real-time updating of location based data. The user installs EDTB on their computer and accesses it through their web browser while playing the game, preferably using a second monitor to do this.

Key features

- Real time system and station data based on your in-game location (data downloaded to the user's system from EDTB server, which in turn gets its data from EDDB)
- General & System specific captain's log (text, voice or both)
- Two maps: Galaxy Map (using the ED3D Glaxy Map plugin) and a dynamically updating "Neighborhood Map", both showing your visited systems, points of interest and bookmarked systems
- Map bodies in a system and get approximate value of system in Universal Cartographics. Also available online
- Add Points of Interest and Bookmark systems
- Find nearest system/station by allegiance, power, or what modules or ships they are selling
- Screenshot gallery: screenshots automatically converted to jpg and categorized by the system they were taken in. Option to upload to Imgur straight from ED ToolBox
- VoiceAttack module: Meet Marvin, the foul mouthed ship computer; get information about current system, closest station or latest GalNet articles with voice commands. Marvin really hates the Federation, so don't have any little kids or stuck up adults around when you're in Federation space. Or in Empire space. Or space. A quick demonstration of Marvin's capabilities on YouTube
- A notepad for taking some quick notes
- Add custom tables to the database and use the Data Point page to collect any kind of information imaginable during your escapades in the galaxy
- Read latest GalNet news
... much more

Screenshots

For a full album of screenshots of EDTB's features, click here

Download

Downloads and instructions at: edtb.xyz

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Looks nice, but it's missing exploration log data. Not sure if that's something you want to support? Ideal would be if EDSM would consider adding more data to capture about each system as well.

There's two separate things here:
1) General exploration data (list of objects (and their relationship?) in system; triangulation for systems without a position)
2) Prospecting data (types of materials found on a landable planet)

I'd love to help test but unfortunately I'm offski tomorrow for a month. Will be keeping an eye on this though!

Cheers,
- Micha.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but it's missing exploration log data. Not sure if that's something you want to support? Ideal would be if EDSM would consider adding more data to capture about each system as well.

There's two separate things here:
1) General exploration data (list of objects (and their relationship?) in system; triangulation for systems without a position)
2) Prospecting data (types of materials found on a landable planet)

I'd love to help test but unfortunately I'm offski tomorrow for a month. Will be keeping an eye on this though!

Cheers,
- Micha.
Forgot to mention in the op (now added) that you can add custom tables and store any kind of data you want.
Trilateration for systems missing coordinates is also included.

Yes please, would be happy to beta test for you. I have development experience in design and coding in c# & VB .NET, c++, python and several web languages. Just PM me and I'll get on it (can't work atm because awaiting back surgery so I have plenty of time too).

Yes please, would be happy to beta test for you. I have development experience in design and coding in c# & VB .NET, c++, python and several web languages. Just PM me and I'll get on it (can't work atm because awaiting back surgery so I have plenty of time too).
Great! I mean, not about the back surgery but great that you can help ;) I'll compile a new installer in the morning and send you a download link.

BTW the interface is plain old HTML+CSS+JQuery with a PHP backend.

Heya, this looks like just the thing ive been looking for, ive been making my custom voice attack profile for a while now and i would love to help test this out, it seems like something pretty amazing. Thanks.

Hmm, also interested in playing around with this. Just moved to a new Imperial Cutter so I've been "populating" the EDDB pretty heavily as of late lol. And with the limited jump/trade range need all the assistance I can get.

Nice job!

Hmm, also interested in playing around with this. Just moved to a new Imperial Cutter so I've been "populating" the EDDB pretty heavily as of late lol. And with the limited jump/trade range need all the assistance I can get.

Nice job!
Awesome, private message incoming!

Do you have to run this on the same computer that's running the game, or can we use a different device (tablet, laptop, etc.)? I play fullscreen and don't want to continuously alt-tab out. I'm currently playing around with AndDiscovered so I can use my tablet. I'd like to try yours, but if it needs to run on the gaming machine, I'll have to pass...

Do you have to run this on the same computer that's running the game, or can we use a different device (tablet, laptop, etc.)? I play fullscreen and don't want to continuously alt-tab out. I'm currently playing around with AndDiscovered so I can use my tablet. I'd like to try yours, but if it needs to run on the gaming machine, I'll have to pass...
The program itself runs on the same computer as the game, but since it's essentially a website you can access it from any device that's connected to the same modem. Personally I use a second monitor and a raspberry pi.

Last edited:
Hey Walter,

I am interested in trying this. I downloaded it and installed it. After starting the program and right clicking Open ED Toolbox I get the following error.

"Aestan Tray Menu

Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[Exception] Could not execute run action:
The system cannot find the file specified"

I had an error installing originally then went back and installed 32bit version of Visual C++ Redistributable Package 2015. Uninstalled then reinstalled the program. Same issue. The icon in the taskbar is blue. Any help would be appreciated.

Additional notes:
Game not installed on "C" Drive (on different drive then OS)
Program not installed on same drive game is on.

[Update] Fixed: I uninstalled and reinstalled a 3rd time, this time not giving a directory for screenshots. It seems to now be working.

Thank you

Last edited:
Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[Exception] Could not execute run action:
The system cannot find the file specified"
Did you remember to specify your web browser when installing? This error occurs when the program can't find the browser executable.

EDIT: But great that you got it working :) Let me know of any bug you find and features you'd like to see.

Last edited:
Even though i enabled verbose logging i cant get location info and couldn't figure out why. I'm doing something wrong but i don't know what it is :D

Even though i enabled verbose logging i cant get location info and couldn't figure out why. I'm doing something wrong but i don't know what it is :D
A couple of things I'd like you to check:
- Did you enable verbose logging for the correct version of ED? If you've recently upgraded to Horizons you'll probably have the old folders still so you need to make sure you got the right one.
- Are you sure you entered the correct log directory when installing? Click the gear icon on the top right corner and open "Customize ED ToolBox". The log directory is stored in the log_dir variable.

A couple of things I'd like you to check:
- Did you enable verbose logging for the correct version of ED? If you've recently upgraded to Horizons you'll probably have the old folders still so you need to make sure you got the right one.
- Are you sure you entered the correct log directory when installing? Click the gear icon on the top right corner and open "Customize ED ToolBox". The log directory is stored in the log_dir variable.

I did clean install of the game and located log file inside the steam folder and now i get real-time location info thank you for this great app :)

Top Bottom