Horizons ED Horizons approval from me

Funny enough, while I am called One True ED Fanboi around these forums, I never fully enjoyed ED or EDH until end of the year holidays. Hear me out - I have my own list of issues regarding ED and only difference that I don't go ballistic over issues I encounter. However, playing today what struck me is that ED as is now is just awesome game on it's own - despite all issues, despite me and you and everyone else wanting more. No ideal game exists...and gaming community seems get easily caught up in nostalgia and dreaming up impossible. It's not a bad thing, but sometimes it ruins or denies fun you could have with game you already having right there.

Moment to moment gameplay is there. Missions...there's variety, both in description, text and actual content. Activities - again, lot to choose from and more are coming. There's enough things to do while trying to see game "breathe"...enjoying little moments with visual and aural vistas. NPCs and players taking off and docking...saying hi to friends and total strangers which pass me by.

This is game I wanted. It will grow. It will extend. But even now it is something to enjoy and cherish, even if I log in only once a week.

To me they have created the perfect sandbox, some of the content needs a lot of work - but I have enjoyed the last year, looking forward to this one....

G

I've complained and moaned about parts of the game many times on these forums ... today, even ... but the fact is I keep playing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
U fanboi how dare u lice someting I dunt. da gume is empty tere are no content and all da airless wurlds luuk airless !
Why cant U land on earth?

The game is flawed ,but still the best space sim out there its only 2 years old and is the most ambitious undertaking in gaming history and for me , I think they have done very well with the start of S2

Last edited:
Funny enough, while I am called One True ED Fanboi around these forums, I never fully enjoyed ED or EDH until end of the year holidays. Hear me out - I have my own list of issues regarding ED and only difference that I don't go ballistic over issues I encounter. However, playing today what struck me is that ED as is now is just awesome game on it's own - despite all issues, despite me and you and everyone else wanting more. No ideal game exists...and gaming community seems get easily caught up in nostalgia and dreaming up impossible. It's not a bad thing, but sometimes it ruins or denies fun you could have with game you already having right there.

Moment to moment gameplay is there. Missions...there's variety, both in description, text and actual content. Activities - again, lot to choose from and more are coming. There's enough things to do while trying to see game "breathe"...enjoying little moments with visual and aural vistas. NPCs and players taking off and docking...saying hi to friends and total strangers which pass me by.

This is game I wanted. It will grow. It will extend. But even now it is something to enjoy and cherish, even if I log in only once a week.

I agree, +1 rep. My feelings exactly. The main problems I have with Horizons are caused by my somewhat out of date graphics card, it barely meets the minimum standard, but even so I am finding planetary landings to be a remarkable experience. Time for a new machine, I think. (My wife isn't a techie so I need a good excuse. How about "your email will load faster, dear!")

despite all issues, despite me and you and everyone else wanting more. No ideal game exists...and gaming community seems get easily caught up in nostalgia and dreaming up impossible. It's not a bad thing, but sometimes it ruins or denies fun you could have with game you already having right there.
imagination and expecting more are dangerous.
[video=youtube;KtyhC0M5RY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtyhC0M5RY4[/video]
this is all you want....

Last edited:
I agree too. I had a blast all this year with ED (DK2 only). There are moments when I just sit and stare for ages. Today I was hauling a cargo (missions) and I visited the LHS 3119 system (Reed Observatory - surface port). Cargo delivered, and just after take off, I could not get enough from the amazing surroundings just beside me (highrise buidlings), bridges, amazing graphics and effects. I was moving my starship slow and low between skyscrapers and wanted to land on some highrise building... :). Hovered under bridges and explored this beautiful settlement for a half a hour :D..... "I finally decided to purchase my private appartment there with optional installed - so called - helipad". Next Christmas? I´ll spend some time there with my wife and boy....

Cheers, CMDRs!

Well said. I have never logged into the game unless I had several hours to spend because it seems to take no effort at all for it to slip by. Yes it's not perfect. I don't care. The Horizons addition opens up so much future possibility that I'm just going to have fun learning to be the best damn buggy driver I can be. The transition from space flying to planetary game makes this one of the most ambitious games to come out in a long time.

It's entirely possible that because I went to play some other games for a while coming back recently has refreshed for me the awesome space in which the game takes place. There is actually a lot to do, even if the framework is a bit like a skeleton on which more will be fleshed out later.

I see a good future and don't mind playing as it slowly gets better and I already got my money's worth out of ED. Horizons won't take too long.

Similar story. Last night, I logged on with just the intention of finishing off a legal salvage mission I picked up the previous day. However, when I got there I realized the system I was in was one for which I did not have any exploration data. So my simple salvage mission instead turned into an almost 1 hour exploration of that binary system, marveling at the beauty of all the *landable* planets I was finding! Now that my ship is repaired (long story) I will now pop back over there to land on those planets!

I agree its a great game. Although I find myself not playing very much recently. There are some bugs that really let me down. And haven´t been fixed. But E.D is in constant motion. And will expand and grow, but NPCs should have a better look. They need to fix the roll of death and make them shoot back, at least the some of the lower ranks. Making some of the NPCs have hidden stats could be fun. Like the ship is stated as harmless in a Sidewinder but packs a punch and flies like a deadly ship. Probably a "talented" NPC with high skills and ambitious, but just started to explore its potential. So "some" ships could surprise you. It could be fun :)

While still a lot of things are missing, we all know, that the concept of Elite Dangerous always was a development over time.

Like the OP, i play the game only a few days a week for a handful of hours each session and i enjoy each and every minute of it since the original beta. I greatly enjoy exploring alien worlds since the release of Horizons and i am really looking forward for the things to come. Elite is a game i always wanted and it gets better with each update.

Missions...there's variety, both in description, text and actual content.
I agree with almost everything you say, except this. Missions variety is only BARELY enough now, 12 months after the original release. FD need to be working heavily on more mission types, or the current ones will eventually get boring.

Proper chained missions (rather than the limited version we have now) should hopefully go a long way to allowing FD to create truly interesting missions, rather than the simplistic ones we have now. Given this is planned & supposedly coming some time this year, I have some hope missions will finally get the injection of both variety & non-trivial consequences they need.

NPC faces would also be awesome for both mission givers & ship encounters, so I hope it doesn't take 12 months for them to be added.

Last edited:
I agree with almost everything you say, except this. Missions variety is only BARELY enough now, 12 months are the original release. FD need to be working heavily on more mission types, or the current ones will eventually get boring.

Proper chained missions (rather than the limited version we have now) should hopefully go a long way to allowing FD to create truly interesting missions, rather than the simplistic ones we have now. Given this is planned & supposedly coming some time this year, I have some hope missions will finally get the injection of both variety & non-trivial consequences they need.

NPC faces would also be awesome for both mission givers & ship encounters, so I hope it doesn't take 12 months for them to be added.

I am actually finding that the mission variety has increased at least 4 fold since December 2014. Just tonight I did a multi-stage courier job & a multi-stage freight job which forced me to really get out & about. I also did a courier run where I couldn't get scanned, & I responded to a couple of distress calls (1 got me killed by a Python, the other had a shipwreck with a tragic loss of beer), as well as a salvageable wreck & a weak signal source-none of which was available back in December 2014. I also saw a lot of missions that I could have taken, but lacked the time the one where you have to wait to meet with a contact, & the assassination mission where you need to meet your handler to get the job details)-all very different to a year ago. When the bugs are removed, we will also have the hostage rescue & missing pilot missions too. Then we have base assaults & data collection. Not to say it can't be improved even further, but I think it is downright incorrect to claim that we haven't had a major boost in mission variety.

...I have my own list of issues regarding ED... No ideal game exists...But even now it is something to enjoy and cherish, even if I log in only once a week.

How very dare you come to an interweb forum with common sense and a calm demeanour, and spout something very sensible that I agree with!

Double-dog-dammit.... have a bit of rep...

I agree with almost everything you say, except this. Missions variety is only BARELY enough now, 12 months are the original release. FD need to be working heavily on more mission types, or the current ones will eventually get boring.

Maybe I am more forgiving...for me missions in current form scratch an itch, I see it as interesting proposals...not something I would like to see like full blown story...yet. However I agree on all your points - I want to see more in missions. And as we got chained ones atm - very simple but they get work done - I hope they get fleshed out more and gets unpredictable. I see improvements...maybe not as fast as I would like to, but nevertheless I see them.

Top Bottom