Patch Notes Update Elite Dangerous: Horizons patch 2.0.05

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Some geniuses in this thread should seriously consider building a videogame from scratch, it would be the greatest game ever by far! I'm throwing money at the screen just at the prospect of this game! :)

While it's a great joke, it doesn't really make any sense. FDEV could be a one handed, blind, deaf and dumb monkey and it wouldn't change the reality of what the game is. When you begin making exceptions for failure you are accepting them as failures, no matter how glib or flippant that acceptance is. Taunting overly negative players does little but demonstrate that their is a legitimate reason for their disapproval and dissatisfaction, you're effectively saying "so the game fails in these aspects, I'd like to see you do better". I guess what I'm saying is - you're just trolling.

Personally I think they have an excellent development team in all areas, from the outside looking in I honestly can't see any reason they shouldn't be proud of what they have achieved.

However there are various caveats to that - of which I believe should be addressed and which have been discussed at length in many threads. Importantly - the end product is far from perfect, in terms of reliability. The example on this page is 'turning off' features that are broken to the point of being unusable. In a game that expects a lot of your time it is unnecessarily frustrating to have your time wasted by a broken mission that could simply be removed until a fix is released.

I see a lot of "I work in the industry", "I work in software development", "I work in project management" thrown about the forums to validate reasoning or win debates - which is great, this knowledge can offer remedial education for the ill informed. Really though, it should be tacit - it should be evidenced through the information in their posts without needing to be stated. Furthermore this experience cannot allow them to extrapolate internal decisions from PR or efficiency and ethic from patch notes and version history. All it allows them to say is "You don't understand, you've never witnessed the <any development initiative> and the x process for QA or y process for InfoSec and the z process for config" and speculate on what happened.

I lament when the IT crowd pretends like software development is the only industry that has awkward resource management principles, unexpected delays and unsociable working hours. Or that someone from outside the industry is incapable of understanding these (rather typical) business hurdles.

Ultimately, the discussion should be surrounding the end product; not whether or not the players understanding of the development process means they are allowed to have expectations or desires of that product.

While it's a great joke, it doesn't really make any sense. FDEV could be a one handed, blind, deaf and dumb monkey and it wouldn't change the reality of what the game is. When you begin making exceptions for failure you are accepting them as failures, no matter how glib or flippant that acceptance is. Taunting overly negative players does little but demonstrate that their is a legitimate reason for their disapproval and dissatisfaction, you're effectively saying "so the game fails in these aspects, I'd like to see you do better". I guess what I'm saying is - you're just trolling.

Personally I think they have an excellent development team in all areas, from the outside looking in I honestly can't see any reason they shouldn't be proud of what they have achieved.

However there are various caveats to that - of which I believe should be addressed and which have been discussed at length in many threads. Importantly - the end product is far from perfect, in terms of reliability. The example on this page is 'turning off' features that are broken to the point of being unusable. In a game that expects a lot of your time it is unnecessarily frustrating to have your time wasted by a broken mission that could simply be removed until a fix is released.

I see a lot of "I work in the industry", "I work in software development", "I work in project management" thrown about the forums to validate reasoning or win debates - which is great, this knowledge can offer remedial education for the ill informed. Really though, it should be tacit - it should be evidenced through the information in their posts without needing to be stated. Furthermore this experience cannot allow them to extrapolate internal decisions from PR or efficiency and ethic from patch notes and version history. All it allows them to say is "You don't understand, you've never witnessed the <any development initiative> and the x process for QA or y process for InfoSec and the z process for config" and speculate on what happened.

I lament when the IT crowd pretends like software development is the only industry that has awkward resource management principles, unexpected delays and unsociable working hours. Or that someone from outside the industry is incapable of understanding these (rather typical) business hurdles.

Ultimately, the discussion should be surrounding the end product; not whether or not the players understanding of the development process means they are allowed to have expectations or desires of that product.

I agree with the spirit of your post but only want to add that if I mentioned that I've been in software development for almost 25 years, this is in response to the people who have no clue and post replies like "This is complex" or "This is a huge project" or "They will fix bugs eventually", basically, all the posts that are defending Frontier and publicly saying that we don't know what we are talking about because we would like Frontier to fix the long lingering bugs. In the software development business, if you're unable to deliver, you have to find yourself another job, until nobody wants to hire you, in which case you consider another field. Frontier did great things, yes, I agree. I love this game to bits. This is a real great technical achievement. But, that doesn't mean we should ignore all the issues that are affecting it and that have been known by Frontier for quite some time. That's the part of the story that I don't like. Instead, what we read from Frontier is how the work is progressing on the next major update with a bunch of new features that will only add their pile of bugs to the existing bugs. We don't read any statements about the current bugs and what they're going to do about them. I even contacted QA directly to ask for some update on tickets I opened a few weeks ago. I asked because many times, it feels like your ticket falls in some kind of black hole. You never hear from anyone about it. I'm still waiting for any reply from the QA team. One of the most glaring bugs which had some players ask for a refund is how they broke the Mac version with one of the latest 2.0 patch. Basically, you're stuck with the default bindings because any change you do to them are not saved anymore. Talk about a show stopper. How could something that big did escape QA is beyond me. I just don't understand. And I could go on with other serious bugs that have been reported, yet, we don't hear anything about them.

Make no mistake, the IT crowd is exactly like any other crowd in general. A few winners and a whole bunch of losers.

Last edited:
a fix for that would be changing a button press in the controls menu. something like "firing (or button press) deploys hardpoints" if i remember correctly...

I’m glad to report that one of the regression that bugged me the most, the wanted status of targets your wingmate had scanned not being transferred to you, has been fixed (or un-regressed), even though this is not mentioned in the release notes.

I’m glad to report that one of the regression that bugged me the most, the wanted status of targets your wingmate had scanned not being transferred to you, has been fixed (or un-regressed), even though this is not mentioned in the release notes.

This is very worrisome. Bugs are re-introduced then fixed without anyone noticing, or almost no one.

Assuming spring should be around march the 20th, beta should drop around end of february or early days of march ;)

Yes, a lot depends on whether the Beta will drop before Michael finishes discussing the remaining elements of mission changes. The final part-Rewards-will drop around the 5th of March, so most likely see the Beta drop either the previous Monday (29th) or following Monday (7th). Assuming a 2 week beta, then we can expect 2.1 to drop on the 21st of March.

Yes, a lot depends on whether the Beta will drop before Michael finishes discussing the remaining elements of mission changes. The final part-Rewards-will drop around the 5th of March, so most likely see the Beta drop either the previous Monday (29th) or following Monday (7th). Assuming a 2 week beta, then we can expect 2.1 to drop on the 21st of March.

March 21 is a Monday, and in general, Frontier releases its versions (also beta) the Tuesday or Thursday

;)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom