[Distant Worlds] The Cardinal Point Return

Greetings Commanders

I've finally returned from the Distant Worlds expedition. The good ship 'Delicate Sound of Blunder' performed beyond expectations and is now safely docked in the bubble. But my journey home has ended up being a bit more than just heading straight for the bubble. On my way back, I decided to head out as far west as I could, based on Sagittarius A*. As I left, I thought, 'you know what? Let's do it!'.

So, I've returned to the bubble by visiting every Cardinal point in the galaxy based on Sagittarius A* being the central point :cool:

This includes above and below Sag A*, as well as north, south, east and west. My self imposed rules were to head out to all points of the compass, but to head out there from the direction of Sag A*. No passing along the outer arms and no Jumponium (just the 32.4LY range of my armed Explorerconda). As a result, I know that other Commanders will get further out than I did, and that some probably already have (at least on the northern, eastern and southern cardinal points). Also, this journey wasn't exactly planned, so I've not taken massive amounts of screenies. Also, the journey to east and south were a bit rushed (if you can call 2 months rushing!) due to real life kicking in. And the coffee machine ran out after the western Cardinal point :eek:

I have opened up my EDSM.net account for public perusal, including full flight map and all flight logs

Stats
Cardinal Point
System
Distance from Sag A*
Date Visited
Lower
Sluemoa OD-B e9
2826.17LY
18/02/2016 08:59:06
Upper
Quemeou AA-A f23
2823.97LY
20/02/2016 17:55:38
Northern
Beagle Point
39386.35LY
02/04/2016 17:54:06
Western
Juemiae HV-H b16-0
35187.23LY
02/05/2016 19:15:14
Eastern
Hypeae Fruia NJ-X c28-0
32691.65LY
25/05/2016 00:20:15
Southern
Spaidou HI-B d13-0
34793.43LY
25/06/2016 18:37:25

General Stats
Journey Duration
163 Days
Distance Travelled
~350,000LY
Systems Visited
Exploration Profit
Highest Payout
L2 Scans
L3 Scans
Ship / Ship Range
Anaconda / 32.4LY
Ship Status
100% hull and 100% on all modules
Brown Trouser Moments
3 (due to close binary / trinary systems)
Estimated Fun Value
Incalculable!

First Discoveries
Earth Like Worlds
Water Worlds
Ammonia Worlds
Neutron Stars
Black Holes
White Dwarfs
Herbig Ae/Be Stars
MS Class Stars
S Class Stars
O Class Stars
CN Class Stars

Images
3ajEVtQ.png

Screencap of the entire journey for those unable to access EDSM.net for whatever reason

THxwVRs.png

Stats before selling Cartographics

qUMbFlT.png

Stats after selling Cartographics

JAtvTva.png

Ringed Erath Like orbiting a ringed Class III gas giant at Tyriedgae ZJ-I d9-3

And a few snaps from the album
m5oVa2b.png

PadrkoN.png

gX6EpWm.png

nYnIxuJ.png

59U1QL8.png

3SAJJ9b.png

6mFk0Yv.png

Thanks to everyone involved in the Distant Worlds project for giving me the confidence to do this, and for keeping me sane on the looooong legs between the cardinal points. Space Madness nearly set in on many occasions, but just seeing the little green icons of my fellow Explorers winding their own ways back to the bubble helped a lot :)

Last edited:
As I've said several times throughout your trip, you're mental. :p

Great achievement though. I still haven't made it to Sag A* and I set off before you (in Jan)!

Hah, that's funny. I'm back in about 3 days, and was going to post similar stats. And then I saw this:

L3 Scans506,024

L3 Scans506,024

L3 Scans506,024!!

Sweet suffering Methuselah!?! Are you some kind of scanning space bot? I've been gone a similar amount of time, travelled to about 60% of that number of systems, but have scanned about 5% of that number bodies.

Last edited:
There's a bug in the L3 scan numbers (a newish bug that is, not the old one(s)) which can vastly inflate them. I had something like 600,000 for my DWE trip which is complete nonsense.

There's a bug in the L3 scan numbers (a newish bug that is, not the old one(s)) which can vastly inflate them. I had something like 600,000 for my DWE trip which is complete nonsense.

Interesting, thanks. I was wondering how he was both travelling quite a bit faster than me, yet still scanning far, far more bodies than I did.

Very interested in this, as I'm trying to figure out if I'll make Elite on the back of DW. I'm kinda sorta burnt-out at this point, and won't be heading back out for a while.

I have to admit, I thought it was high when I saw it. But then again, on DW I scanned everything because I knew that I could travel much faster than the fleet, but still wanted to stay with everyone, as that was the point of it all. I actually travelled over 100KLY out to Beagle Point because of the many side trips I took between waypoints and scanned every body in ~90% of the systems I passed through, so I tended to beleave the figure. But if it's a bug, it's a bug :)

I have to admit, I thought it was high when I saw it. But then again, on DW I scanned everything because I knew that I could travel much faster than the fleet, but still wanted to stay with everyone, as that was the point of it all. I actually travelled over 100KLY out to Beagle Point because of the many side trips I took between waypoints and scanned every body in ~90% of the systems I passed through, so I tended to beleave the figure. But if it's a bug, it's a bug :)

Hah. I was the opposite. Trailing behind the whole way, so I was flying like an explorer possessed.

(Actually, that's not really true. I'm just too prone to distractions. This is very close to what I was like every time I landed on a planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-7aQ_JYYg

Is there a typo in the tables, or is the distance to the up-most and bottom-most system really exactly the same?

Other than that, that is a massive journey, you've made, CMDR Duckfather.
You deserve all the adoration you can get. :)

Is there a typo in the tables, or is the distance to the up-most and bottom-most system really exactly the same?

Other than that, that is a massive journey, you've made, CMDR Duckfather.
You deserve all the adoration you can get. :)

Well spotted. Typo fixed. Although the actual distance is still pretty close to the typo.

And thanks :)

Congrats Cmdr and +1 Rep!

A great achievement.... I'm still out in the black on my Cardinal Point journey, taking a detour to BP then heading back south-west to the most Northerly before making the trip back to Sol (prob stop off at Sag A just for giggles). Not looked at your data yet, was your trip to the 'real' cardinal points? My trip is taking in the cardinal points lying with 1Ly of the 0 lines (see https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/220552-Cardinal-Points).

Cmdr A

A great achievement.... I'm still out in the black on my Cardinal Point journey, taking a detour to BP then heading back south-west to the most Northerly before making the trip back to Sol (prob stop off at Sag A just for giggles). Not looked at your data yet, was your trip to the 'real' cardinal points? My trip is taking in the cardinal points lying with 1Ly of the 0 lines (see https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/220552-Cardinal-Points).

Cmdr A

Remember there are 2 firsts achievements to be given out in https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...r-Exploration-Data-Logs-amp-Records-Version-2
One for Cardinal points based on SOL , the other based on SAG A* :)

Cmdr A

I wasn't using co-ordinates as my guide. Just getting as lined up with Sag A* as I could (initially using the co-ords) and heading off in the required direction. The final path almost always ended up very circuitous anyway as I tried to navigate as far out as possible. Sometimes I had to turn back on myself several times and try a little further across to get any more distance.

Remember there are 2 firsts achievements to be given out in https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...r-Exploration-Data-Logs-amp-Records-Version-2
One for Cardinal points based on SOL , the other based on SAG A* :)

What Dognosh said. I was aware of your trip and was glad when I discovered that I wasn't duplicating you or potentially Ninja'ing your journey. I did try to use your Southern point as my destination for that point, but was unable to get there by going direct from the Sag A* direction in my 32.4LY Exploraconda. keep us updated on your journey and fly safe :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom