UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
While the puzzles are fun etc, I can't help but think overall it's a crappy idea to have to solve it using external tools and software, by doing so FD have excluded a massive amount of the player base.

what player base exactly? this forum is full of people on Xbox helping to solve the mistery, so..

Just to expand on this idea a little bit.
sdWbiZ7.jpg

Plus a nice spelling mistake :D

Last edited:
Yes people have fallen foul to whats been said on here and whats been tested in the past, FD have been watching and it has guided them in introducing things they know we will work out because we have tried the methods in the past.
so if any body is to blame it's Science :D

Sorry Han_Zen I have to disagree. Anybody who comes onto a 7-subthreadnaught megathread, explicitly & very clearly set up to do science on the E: D universe's mysteries, and then complains about how we do science and the tools needed to do that, is just trolling us & I'm putting them on my ignore list. FD have been very clear that this is a new type of game, open & long term. There is absolutely no reason why everything required should be within the game, there are plenty of third party tools available for use.

I don't want to waste my time reading their whinging, they should go play a different game.

EDIT: Another night with only 4 hours sleep! my normally placid easy-going nature is turning into a grumpy old nerd. :O

Last edited:
what player base exactly? this forum is full of people on Xbox helping to solve the mistery, so..

First of all, the forums aren't the be all and end all of the game. What percentage of players regularly use the forums? What percentage of players have access to audio software? FDev have said in the past the forums are only part of the community.

Second of all, it's a game that made great waves talking about being a pilot in the universe. So they create puzzles that require you to leave that universe. If there were in game tools to help solve the puzzles, then that's good, but not the other way around.

Edit:

Thirdy, I've posted in this thread with ideas etc the same as everyone else. Why? It's all I can do. If I had tools in game I may be able to do more. As it is, I need to rely on other players doing something and posting about it before I can add input. Not the most clever of ideas really.

Last edited:
Yes people have fallen foul to whats been said on here and whats been tested in the past, FD have been watching and it has guided them in introducing things they know we will work out because we have tried the methods in the past.
so if any body is to blame it's Science :D
....Or God, its easier, no proof is required

Last edited:
Sorry Han_Zen I have to disagree. Anybody who comes onto a 7-subthreadnaught megathread, explicitly & very clearly set up to do science on the E: D universe's mysteries, and then complains about how we do science and the tools needed to do that, is just trolling us & I'm putting them on my ignore list. FD have been very clear that this is a new type of game, open & long term. There is absolutely no reason why everything required should be within the game, there are plenty of third party tools available for use.

I don't want to waste my time reading their whinging, they should go play a different game.

Yep i love the fact that we have to THINK, if thinking leads to using other tools then so be it more fun.
And i think FD has/is playing a blinder in the way they observe whats gone on in here and other places and react. keeps things interesting.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

....Or God, its easier, less proof is required
Very nice :D

First of all, the forums aren't the be all and end all of the game. What percentage of players regularly use the forums? What percentage of players have access to audio software? FDev have said in the past the forums are only part of the community.

Second of all, it's a game that made great waves talking about being a pilot in the universe. So they create puzzles that require you to leave that universe. If there were in game tools to help solve the puzzles, then that's good, but not the other way around.

Most people like puzzles. Why not expand them outside of the game?

You could also just ignore it and play the game and read the results sometime in galnet. But this here is much more exciting, don't you think?

probably you just nuked your own theory, considering the amount of people that don't use the forums, how many of them don't even care about this thread and therefore how this particular piece of the whole gameplay does not leave appart all that amount of player base you pretend.

so yeah, good luck

OK, so I'm compiling a thread for kicking off a search for free-floating Unknown Probes.

I'm putting together a list of candidate landmarks to search around, using "UA shell" logic. The idea is to search in increasing 10-LY bands, out to 200LY from a central, known landmark (E.g Merope). Like Merope (which is not central), it's hard to get a central reference for some landmarks (like Witch Head Nebula,, literally no stars in the guts of that thing).

Each search band will be recorded with the distance to the landmark, and number of hours searched for (given it's known that UAs can take an hour or longer to spawn sometimes). Distance ensures there's no large gaps (like searching 1LY away for 0-10, and 19 LY for the 10-20 band), and hours searched ensures it's not a "Nothing spawned in 5 mins, so I give up".

If anyone has landmarks they'd like to contribute *with justification* (in order to cut down on candidate landmarks and make sure we're not just searching arbitrarily or "because it's purple"), feel free to recommend them. This is just so we can try and get some semblence of "where has been checked"... not authoritative list to say "Don't check these areas" and yes, it has it's flaws, but it's a start.

My list so far is:
- Merope (Pleiades), because Barnacles/UAs have been found here.
- California Sector, because Barnacles
- Witch Head Nebula, because Barnacles
- T Tauri (Hind Nebula), because triangulation of barnacle systems
- Barnard's Loop, because vague resemblance to Barnacle Symbol
- Flame Sector, Orion Nebula, because proximity to Barnard's Loop
- Jaque's Station, because UA's dropped it there

Ok with all of these overcomplication araund have any of u accualy thinked abaut it this way?
[h=3] [/h]

M5c is tidal locked to M5, but lit by M.

M5 is almost in the system plane, but M5c is tilted 75.8deg.

This makes day and night a very fuzzy subject.

I think one pole of M5c is in daylight for about half a M5 year. Then the other pole for half a year.

More or less. The inclunation is not quite 90deg.

Edit:

Thirdy, I've posted in this thread with ideas etc the same as everyone else. Why? It's all I can do. If I had tools in game I may be able to do more.

It's just a form of gameplay a group of Elite players like to play the game. It accessible to every one willing to invest. Most software needed is freeware anyway.

You can't really not like it, its just a part of Elite.

OK, so I'm compiling a thread for kicking off a search for free-floating Unknown Probes.

I'm putting together a list of candidate landmarks to search around, using "UA shell" logic. The idea is to search in increasing 10-LY bands, out to 200LY from a central, known landmark (E.g Merope). Like Merope (which is not central), it's hard to get a central reference for some landmarks (like Witch Head Nebula,, literally no stars in the guts of that thing).

Each search band will be recorded with the distance to the landmark, and number of hours searched for (given it's known that UAs can take an hour or longer to spawn sometimes). Distance ensures there's no large gaps (like searching 1LY away for 0-10, and 19 LY for the 10-20 band), and hours searched ensures it's not a "Nothing spawned in 5 mins, so I give up".

If anyone has landmarks they'd like to contribute *with justification* (in order to cut down on candidate landmarks and make sure we're not just searching arbitrarily or "because it's purple"), feel free to recommend them. This is just so we can try and get some semblence of "where has been checked"... not authoritative list to say "Don't check these areas" and yes, it has it's flaws, but it's a start.

My list so far is:

I'll do from hind (T Tauri) to merope, 4h in every 10ly, would that work?

M5c is tidal locked to M5, but lit by M.

M5 is almost in the system plane, but M5c is tilted 75.8deg.

This makes day and night a very fuzzy subject.

I think one pole of M5c is in daylight for about half a M5 year. Then the other pole for half a year.

More or less. The inclunation is not quite 90deg.

See overcomplicateing again forget abaut the main star an look at it that way.

Last edited:

My list so far is:

I think we need to look closer to home if not IN the civilized bubble, this is just my assumption from the Convoy locations and whats gone before with the UA's.
Trouble is the UA convoys were found on the edge of civilized space and the Pleiades. this time the convoys are deep in the bubble. so i think this time it might be a bit different.

My list so far is:

Maybe add vicinity ofSirius, since thats where we know probe convoys occur.

probably you just nuked your own theory, considering the amount of people that don't use the forums, how many of them don't even care about this thread and therefore how this particular piece of the whole gameplay does not leave appart all that amount of player base you pretend.

so yeah, good luck

Thanks ;) :D It's not that the hunt isn't exciting, it is. It's the fact that many don't like forums or can't communicate properly in them. Perhaps they don't even know this thread exists. I'm not putting down this thread or it's contributors - there are a lot of excellent ideas, it's the fact that it's all taking place out of the game. Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps not. Either way, having in game clues and methods to solve the clues would be better for a lot of people.

On Topic - I feel we are back to a place where we are waiting for FDev to add more content.

Most people like puzzles. Why not expand them outside of the game?

You could also just ignore it and play the game and read the results sometime in galnet. But this here is much more exciting, don't you think?

more exciting and for those of us on long haul routes, apart from the occasional distracted star crash, make the time pass less tedious. Thanks!

Thanks ;) :D It's not that the hunt isn't exciting, it is. It's the fact that many don't like forums or can't communicate properly in them. Perhaps they don't even know this thread exists. I'm not putting down this thread or it's contributors - there are a lot of excellent ideas, it's the fact that it's all taking place out of the game. Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps not. Either way, having in game clues and methods to solve the clues would be better for a lot of people.

On Topic - I feel we are back to a place where we are waiting for FDev to add more content.

I said that almost a week ago. There's a slight chance that the solution is something we haven't tried yet, but that chance is getting slimmer every day.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom