UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Do we even know what the purpose of the UA or the morse they broadcast is? We don't.

They scan our ships and broadcast details to Merope. The underlying motive is unknown but surely the purpose (function) of the UAs is to collect and send information about our ships. This is Aliens cataloging our ships :)

Let's not gloss over what MB said.

He said 'the message has a very specific purpose and it's very different from the UA'.

Do we even know what the purpose of the UA or the morse they broadcast is? We don't.

no, but we had some good hints when we found the schematic ship revealed.....

but...

Cynaqq said:
We have a very strange rule to follow in our hands. Speculate a theory for the UA and something distinctly different for the UP.

This is like solving two equations with two unknown variables. We can see the results, we have to figure out the variables.

..but i agree that this puzzle is a very very difficult one.

Last edited:
So I just got my 4th threat 4 convoy in ross 47 "maybe this will be the one!" and the game crashs haa I guess my luck is deciding that it doesnt want a Unknown probe!

Good analogy Anthonycsheey!

I wrote to a professor last year about a Etruscan ruin I'd come across images of in trying to write a paper. It was very much like where we are at night. The site wasn't identified, but I recognized the stone work. I was concerned because the stonework I was looking at appeared to have several markers on it that said it had to be older than the site was listed. Location made it appear to be Roman, but the design was all wrong. This created a kind of fun moment for me and my professors as we started to get into this debate about the chemical corrosion we could see on the stone. If it was Roman it should have had such and so markers on it. This stone was pitted showing that it had to be older. It also was better constructed with a different masonry. Chemically we were confident it wasn't Roman, but we only had pictures to work with. Another group of professors felt I was wasting time trying to prove this. It was a Roman villa and that was the end of it for them. This kind of annoyed me so I wrote to the Italian university that had posted the images. I didn't think I'd get anything back in the summer, but within a few hours I was given the whole layout. It WAS Etruscan and had had Roman villas build near it. The actual site was some kind of irrigated farmland; which wasn't what we were expecting at all. Both groups were looking at it as the remains of a village aqueduct.

Point is, you can have the right expertise to understand something like the chemical erosion of stone by eyeballing it. You can have another group who is utterly familiar with Roman city and village design who things that your idea are all very well and good, but you've been in the sun too long. The trick is getting two specialized fields to stop telling the other they don't have enough expertise and combine their data.

By the way, getting two groups of confident people with specialized fields to stop and look rather than use their heads to brain themselves into an isolated way of thinking is preciously rare and difficult. Often the data is correct (as such), but we're a civilization way too confident in our specialties as being sufficient. Best thing to do is figure out who is in what camp, convert the data into their type of analysis and go "Hey look at this!" ...I can even be exactly the same image. The only difference is that you're no longer talking the talk a Humanities Major is looking for. Now you'e talking for a PhD who specialized in Roman Engineering. Seems the same, but Humanities Majors are happy friendly people. PhDs are angry, paranoid people that won't be caught dead near anything even remotely flaky: no puzzle, no problem.

So, we probably already solved this as far as what information we have. The problem is we are all coming at it from our own fields of understanding and education. Sometimes that's the same as talking another language. Or another way of looking at it... Speaking the same language, but coming from a different country. The friendliest words and phases of your country can sometimes be friendship destroying stuff in another country even though the meaning of the words haven't changed.

Two points:
  1. Cleaning up the image of the 'map' or 'message': (I suggested this when thread 7 was moving rapidly so it may easily have been missed): make several recordings in as close to identical circumstances as possible and extract the images and stack them, to improve signal-to-noise. Just like you might stack e.g. astronomical images of a starfield to bring out subtle details of nebulosity or record fainter stars. If we could see the details on the left hand side in particular more clearly, then it could be very helpful in interpreting the meaning - and it might also bring out something interesting on the right hand side which is not very clear at all.
  2. Interpreting the meaning of the message: the message clearly contains positional information and is directly transmitted to our ships, even shutting them down to ensure the message can be clearly heard (possibly for additional reasons...). The sender wants us to know about a particular location, to either bring us there or to avoid it. A warning to stay away is possible but how would you communicate the danger: simply giving the location might well attract you to the danger? This seems less likely to me than the alternative message: go to the location specified. Why the sender wants us to go there we might not know until we arrive and that's my main concern - not that we won't work out where to go but that we might need to bring something the sender wants (which might be additional information in the message if we can clean it up). I don't think this is a trap (look at how much trouble they can cause already with UA and UP technology without us needing to go there) but there might be someone in trouble of some kind who needs help.

Last edited:
Just browsing the galnet news, i came across an older article that made me think, have we missed some vital clues, maybe there is more that needs to be done with the Meta-alloys.

"Commentators generally agree that the meta-alloys have now become a focus for Federal-Imperial antagonism. While it has been confirmed that the meta-alloys can counter the harmful effects of the Unknown Artefacts, no other applications for the material have been found. But speculation abounds that there may be as-yet undiscovered uses for the remarkable substance. The fact that the Federation has announced plans to construct a number of outposts in the Pleiades sector – one of the primary locations of meta-alloys – is further evidence that it has a keen interest in the material."

Does anyone know if there are similar craters on planets with barnacles similar to Meropes?

If yes,

*tinfoil hat on*

Barnacles are a effect of something that's happening to the planet itself. The impact crater being the initial "seed". (Of another alien lifeform / master race).

UA/ UP's are probably of Thargoid origin based on their biomechanical characteristics. UA's are probably similar to motion sensors, while UP's are a more focused mechanism. To tell us (humans) something.

Thargoids have been gone for 30 years in lore, and are considered myth. Due to barnacles inhibiting their capabilities?

INRA biologically engineered barnacles to stop Thargoids from ever coming back!

*tinfoil hat off*

If no,

Right on, and fly safe commanders.

Last edited:
What's the difference between a probe and an artefact? Why not call it 'Unknown Object'??

(Oxford English Dictionary)
Artefact -
1 - An object made by a human being, typically one of cultural or historical interest

2 - Something observed in a scientific investigation or experiment that is not naturally present but occurs as a result of the preparative or investigative procedure

Probe

1.1 A small device, especially an electrode, used for measuring, testing, or obtaining information.

3 - An unmanned exploratory spacecraft designed to transmit information about its environment.

I've also thought, the artefacts came before the probes in timeline, but what if the artefact is what you have left after a probe has finished being a probe?

Last edited:
If the glyphs around the edge of the diagram represents binary numbers - Ie: "- - |" is one, "- | -" is two, "- | |" is three, and "| - -" is four, then shouldn't we move 1 to 2 and 3 to 4?

Like this?

TwtA6z6.jpg

If the glyphs around the edge of the diagram represents binary numbers - Ie: "- - |" is one, "- | -" is two, "- | |" is three, and "| - -" is four, then shouldn't we move 1 to 2 and 3 to 4?

Like this?

http://i.imgur.com/TwtA6z6.jpg

I don't follow why we 'should' do that. It looks interesting though.

However, I think we are once again overlooking it. I think the image, as we have been given it, is exactly what the image needs to be. It just needs to be 'figured out' as is.

Does anyone know if there are similar craters on planets with barnacles similar to Meropes?

If yes,

*tinfoil hat on*

Barnacles are a effect of something that's happening to the planet itself. The impact crater being the initial "seed". (Of another alien lifeform / master race).

UA/ UP's are probably of Thargoid origin based on their biomechanical characteristics. UA's are probably similar to motion sensors, while UP's are a more focused mechanism. To tell us (humans) something.

Thargoids have been gone for 30 years in lore, and are considered myth. Due to barnacles inhibiting their capabilities?

INRA biologically engineered barnacles to stop Thargoids from ever coming back!

*tinfoil hat off*

If no,

Right on, and fly safe commanders.

someone posted on Reddit that the unnatural orbits of Merope suggest 5c is actually a Thargoid Death Star, the barnacles are there because it's made of metal (like Barnacles on a ship) and the UA's and UP's are actually guardians preventing Thargoid ships from escaping.

http://i.imgur.com/TSEfkgM.png

That's nice binary, but if dots are zeros then it is an OFF-by-one error.
Should be:
. . . = 0
. . | = 1
. | . = 2
. | | = 3
| . . = 4
| . | = 5
| | . = 6
| | | = 7

Which would then give you quadrant numbers:
2 . . . 3

4 . . . 1

[edit] not my pic.
just pointing out the off by one error.
using count zero binary, as I have, gives you a 1 to 4 labeling of the quadrants.

My theory is that this is a sequence of things that have to be done or found:

quad 1 has a line to the center. Perhaps a sub surface structure.
quad 2 has an arc above the surface maybe a ring or the blue landable indicator.
quad 3 looks like it's getting scanned
quad 4 has two structures coming out from the surface.

I was working on this as well. I had the exact same idea. I only wish I knew what that cloud represents.

What's the difference between a probe and an artefact? Why not call it 'Unknown Object'??

I've also thought, the artefacts came before the probes in timeline, but what if the artefact is what you have left after a probe has finished being a probe?

I thought what came after a probe was a gibbering conspiracy theorist who had tendencies to wear tinfoil hatsand blame the "govimint" for everything

someone posted on Reddit that the unnatural orbits of Merope suggest 5c is actually a Thargoid Death Star, the barnacles are there because it's made of metal (like Barnacles on a ship) and the UA's and UP's are actually guardians preventing Thargoid ships from escaping.

Isn't it already established in Thargoid lore (assuming it remains constant from previous games) that they were capable of building ships that would put small moons to shame in terms of size? So it is possible that 5c is a dormant Thargoid worldship or something?

After all, in the Sci-Fi TV show 'Red Dwarf', the titular ship was eventually found inside a moon if I'm not mistaken.

Perhaps once we find where to align the image on 5c (assuming that is the use) then that line will point to an entrance. Perhaps oriented so that the bottom-left quadrant is the perspective of the large crater on the horizon from the position which the planet is to be viewed?

@ CMDR Moortz,

So you're saying HONK the planet? (not being sarcastic)

If it's true they could move planets then maybe this is like a chemistry set? The map is like a procedural formula?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom