UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
well i think ive officially given up. Found a UP near Ross 47. Took it all the way back to Merope, dropped it out of my cargo hold and poof....gone. 4 hours of searching wasted. Im landing on 5C for now and going to remove my helmet and slowly choke to death.....

You found it in a convoy? Did you open a bug report? Some people have had luck getting their UPs reinstated by FD from this bug.

Been searching around ELEPHANT'S TRUNK SECTOR DL-Y D20 which has USS showing up.

No USS are showing up in ELEPHANT'S TRUNK SECTOR DL-Y D18 or ELEPHANT'S TRUNK SECTOR DL-Y D19.

Maybe it is in DL-20 after all we could be lucky?

Last edited:
Um... I hate to ask, but has anyone considered that the Globe in the UP message is the UA shell, not a planet? I've tried to keep up on the thread, but don't know if this specific point has been brought up. Braben even said that the UA shell was a testable theory, right?

Um... I hate to ask, but has anyone considered that the Globe in the UP message is the UA shell, not a planet? I've tried to keep up on the thread, but don't know if this specific point has been brought up. Braben even said that the UA shell was a testable theory, right?

Michael Brooks said that something about the UP was a testable theory as a reply to someone's thinking loud in here... can't remember what exactly.

Yep when MB gave us the hint that Merope may not be the planet and to test it out.

Looking into this line of thinking some more. To the right of the symbol we all know, there's more "stuff". I've highlighted the pertinent details:

http://i.imgur.com/ROuBIfz.png

Now, overlay this on my previous overlay of the clue on Merope 5, do a bit of scaling and rotation, and you get:

http://i.imgur.com/ssRArCH.png

More and more, this is not looking like a coincidence. Now, what does the stuff on the left mean?

UPDATE: The chevron looking symbol to the left of the "clue" fits the opposite side of the merope 5b orbit and the merope 5 orbit. I didn't do pics this time because it's all getting too busy, but if you don't believe me, try it yoruself.

Its a treasure map! Now can you pick out points in those orbits in regard to the --| type number scheme. 4 steps, probably need to bring a UP along, to go to? Might be an unlockable POI if things are done in an order.

Michael Brooks said that something about the UP was a testable theory as a reply to someone's thinking loud in here... can't remember what exactly.

Twas me I'll post his replies once I find them

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Summary of new clues from MB
---
The message has a specific purpose, and a very different one to the UA.
---
The pointing is deliberate, but also for a different reason to the UA.
---
The transmission from the UA is its purpose.
---
The UP has a different purpose.
---
That's a testable theory.

(So that means the information in the UP about the planet in the sound is NOT merope it is from a nearby planet probably in the UA range. Its just the wording the U P is the PROBE which is something you'd think would be the thing looking since its a probe.. the artifact who knows what it is. Maybe it is the more advanced of the 2?)

I was rambling too because I was working and noticed his reply hit the feed and tried to get something out there as soon as I could since I knew he was watching the thread at that time.

The gist of what I was asking and saying that maybe the PROBE is a PROBE and should be looking elsewhere within the UA bubble not at Merope. I think he said we should test that.

Then I meant that Maybe the UA is still more advanced than the UP. Maybe he meant to test that?

Last edited:
We've got a confirmation on the guy with the UP free floater, he says it was in Elephant's Trunk Sector DL-Y D20. He seems to be pretty certain about what he found, and UA free floaters were originally only appearing in a few systems. In any case, I'm there right now and looking.

Been searching around ELEPHANT'S TRUNK SECTOR DL-Y D20 which has USS showing up.

No USS are showing up in ELEPHANT'S TRUNK SECTOR DL-Y D18 or ELEPHANT'S TRUNK SECTOR DL-Y D19.

Maybe it is in DL-20 after all we could be lucky?

Don't give up! If USS are spawning, 2500ly from Sol, you could be onto something... :)
I told you: the guy seemed honest to me, since my first talk with him.
Worth checking, at least. If not, it was fun the same. ;)

I just think it's worth pursuing, since Merope(System) and Merope 5C (Planet) are the only pointers we've gotten, but we've known that they're the center of a Globe-Shaped shell for a long time.

One last thing about spectograms, they're notoriously difficult to get a clear image out of without fiddling with the input.

To give an example, here's one I made earlier.
f12c5ada7329b2abf3bb876d106caa84_original.jpg
Notice the double image. That isn't specifically required, but it helps with ensuring the top most image is clear on the resulting 'gram. So any data below the point of the top image is useless noise.

The resulting 'gram:

My_SG.png
As you can see, the bottom is useless noise. On my image, you'll also notice a distinct lack of background noise, as this is the only sound recorded. Ingame, it is very likely that ambient noise from the game was introduced causing some of the distorted echos we see.. It could also just be white noise added by the sound devs to cause us headache.

The point, is that the only image that is clear, is obvious. Anything else should be discarded, as if the devs wanted to give us more info, it would have been shown much clearer that the distortions we see either side of the original image.

Another way of looking at it could be that the probe was made / extracted from the original first barnacle we found by humans. When it was grown the picture it produced was of where it originally came from or where in that nebula it was originally seeded.

Maybe its pointing to its mother?

Don't give up! If USS are spawning, 2500ly from Sol, you could be onto something... :)

As much as I want to believe it, I just dont know. He claims to have found it TWO days after patch 2.1 hit, didn't know what it was, and so looked it up? Well, no-one else had seen one at that point, or for a month afterwards, so where did he look it up exactly? Something is off.

I am still at it!

Could someone please try and make sense out of exactly WHAT Michael Brooks means by his reply to Colonel Kennedys post?

Colonel Kennedy: "(So that means the information in the UP about the planet in the sound is NOT merope it is from a nearby planet probably in the UA range. Its just the wording the U P is the PROBE which is something you'd think would be the thing looking since its a probe.. the artifact who knows what it is. Maybe it is the more advanced of the 2?)"

Michael Brooks: "That's a testable theory."

WHAT is a testable theory... please see if you can decipher what exactly from Kennedy's post! :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I did some Googling, looks like reddit user Derthek beat me to the punch with this theory: https://www.reddit.com/r/Canonn/comments/4unaxa/up_diagram_is_ua_shell_theory_by_rozete_its_a_3d/

*chuckles* Reddit user Derthek :D

WHAT is a testable theory... please see if you can decipher what exactly from Kennedy's post! :)

I think trying to decipher the whole of the UA mystery will be easier than working out something Michael says :p Trust me he's as close and cryptic in person ;)

Twas me I'll post his replies once I find them

Summary of new clues from MB
---
The message has a specific purpose, and a very different one to the UA.
---
The pointing is deliberate, but also for a different reason to the UA.
---
The transmission from the UA is its purpose.
---
The UP has a different purpose.
---
That's a testable theory.

(So that means the information in the UP about the planet in the sound is NOT merope it is from a nearby planet probably in the UA range. Its just the wording the U P is the PROBE which is something you'd think would be the thing looking since its a probe.. the artifact who knows what it is. Maybe it is the more advanced of the 2?)

I was rambling too because I was working and noticed his reply hit the feed and tried to get something out there as soon as I could since I knew he was watching the thread at that time.

The gist of what I was asking and saying that maybe the PROBE is a PROBE and should be looking elsewhere within the UA bubble not at Merope. I think he said we should test that.

Then I meant that Maybe the UA is still more advanced than the UP. Maybe he meant to test that?

See above

I am still at it!

Could someone please try and make sense out of exactly WHAT Michael Brooks means by his reply to Colonel Kennedys post?

Colonel Kennedy: "(So that means the information in the UP about the planet in the sound is NOT merope it is from a nearby planet probably in the UA range. Its just the wording the U P is the PROBE which is something you'd think would be the thing looking since its a probe.. the artifact who knows what it is. Maybe it is the more advanced of the 2?)"

Michael Brooks: "That's a testable theory."

He already said it pointing to a specific planet was intended, and its different function to the UA. Which means we should test if it can point to other planets and output a different sound-image, or we can test if its more intelligent than the UA.

Yeah, I think he's saying "Yes, the UP message applies to more than just Merope 5c, possibly other planets in the UA shell". I think that maybe the Thargoids used UAs and UPs originally from Merope 5C, but what WE are looking for is somewhere else, since they're no longer there. There will be some remnant or technology left behind by them in a nearby system, probably what's powering or guiding the UAs/UPs. Just a theory, but it's more grounded than a lot of stuff we've been trying. I think possibly we can use the UP as a garage-door opener for some kind of location.

Maybe the UP points one particular end towards Merope 5c because it is in fact pointing the other towards the UA shell, then once it's through the 'boundary' the orientation switches. I've had a look at some of the videos but I've not really been able to get a clear idea of which 'side' of the shell they were taken. Maybe we should name the ends :p

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom