UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi cmdrs,
First of all, i apologise if this have already been tested but i cannot find it on the spreadsheet on first page. Have we tryed to honk UP by different bodies (ammonia, metal rich, water etc ... or with different atmosphere) ? The idea is to understand what it looks for to narrow research in space.

Anyway here is a theory :
Something happened in Mérope at some point. A life form had to leave. UA point to merope not because they wanna go there or relay information there but because they expand from there. They look for something (they scan, they analyse but deliver no message). UP can be either a metamorphosis or a second kind of vessel that shows up once what it was looking for is found.
By honking and listening to UP next to different kind of planets/stars/kind of rings etc ... we could perhaps narrow our research to find "wild" UP in systems having those planets/stars.

I know this sounds a bit crazy and would request a lot of testing (different kind of planets x diff atmospheres types / diff stars / perhaps diff rings), but who knows ;o)

Obside
(apologies for me English being so bad)

Last edited:
That is some good reverse engineering. I like your numbers, even though they are selected a bit arbitrarily (unconfirmed inner radius of UA shell). The fit very nicely, and the 127 may not have anything to do with the UA shell, but we'll figure that out later.
I would however remove your speculation about what we will find in the sectors mentioned. First off to keep an open mind, do tests, note results. Test again and doublecheck results. Going in looking for something makes any discovery biased towards that thing.
Secondly, it makes no sense for anything to tell us "here are more UAs/UPs". Why would that be interesting to anyone? Like I said earlier, "Hey you found me. Want to find more of me? Go here!". That's just silly as it doesn't lead to anything, only more UPs. It's a circular move, unless the Free Floating UPs show a different image or hold different information from the "captured" ones. I highly doubt that they do.

Excellent points. Thank you

Good morning commanders,

Edit: Special thanks to CMDRs Martin Afonso for the data on Pleione 11A, and Mr_Zeno for checking as well.

The sparklies occur on other bodies, not just Merope 5C. (I checked Merope 5b and Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 1) The intensity appears different, which may be related to the metal content of the world, or the metal content of the region I was driving over. Merope 5b had the least sparklies on the sample site I tried briefly last night after coming home from the gym (brain not functioning for more than superficial tasks at that time. Just enough processing power to remember to PULL UPPPPP! damnit)

Also, the directional noise I have been chasing and measuring day and night for a week now may be an artifact of a long range reflection of rocks well before they appear on the SRV scanner. Which is an interesting thing to know, but not very germane to the search... perhaps. Also, as with the sparklies, the effect is more pronounced on Merope 5c than the other two test sites. Again, more experimentation and data collection will be required to work out the relationships, but for now is of secondary importance to other lines of inquiry.

So my obvious conclusion of a cloaked invasion force waiting to pounce on us may not be a possibility after all :)

Today: Try to accurately identify the origin point on the map, given the rings-as-a-line conjunction with the orbital plane. I am working on the assumption that the fuzzy circle in the middle (but slightly off centre) represents Merope 5 as it appears as a dotted circle in our screen.

Base image:
Dzhm8jP.jpg

Conjunction 0
Ycnhl84.jpg

Conjunction 3.3
I think todays conjunction is this one:
QyfFXj0.jpg

Unfortnately there are four possible locations (maybe eight) which match todays conjunction origin, depending on which way is up on the map, so some trig will be needed (come on brain, you can do it this time)

Cheers
Rixaeton - still poking reality with a stick, even if it disagrees with it.

Last edited:
Just a random thought about the binary and the link to voyager ...

Where will the two voyager probes be in 3302?

We already know where they are and bin to them. so far there is little connection between the probes and them. just the word probe that are simaler.

Ahh nuts - I got my days/orbit wrong/upside down. Today is not a conjunction day.... infact it is the opposite.

Ah well... practice runs then, and maybe a little trig.

Good morning commanders,

Base image:
http://i.imgur.com/Dzhm8jP.jpg

Conjunction 0
http://i.imgur.com/Ycnhl84.jpg

Conjunction 3.3
I think todays conjunction is this one:
http://i.imgur.com/QyfFXj0.jpg

Unfortnately there are four possible locations (maybe eight) which match todays conjunction origin, depending on which way is up on the map, so some trig will be needed (come on brain, you can do it this time)

Cheers
Rixaeton - still poking reality with a stick, even if it disagrees with it.

thanks commander Rixaeton,

accidentally you gave me the idea that i think will solve this mistery.
the picture you posted it's look a like a clock.

so i think this:

that picture rappresent a clock, a sextant and a compass at the same time.
all three of them are useful to determine a point.

but now i need help because i am completely ignorant about the use of the sextant.
I only know few things.
Within these few things there is the knowing that gave me the idea here above.

So, with the clock it determines the time, with which measure the position on the map thanks to the sextant which is also able to determine the point or latitude of the place in which is located. Then, thanks to the compass, you can orient, despite the absence of reference points, always knowing where they are the north and the other cardinal points

someone help me now to determine the point. thanks

Hi guys,

Since I am on a vacation on a nice island on a planet called earth in the sol system, I have no access to my ship and nav computers. I lay on the beach just reading the discussions and theories and thinking about the solution offline.

One thing that came to me yesterday is the hint from mr Brooks that it is in space (can't remember the exact words ). I know that there are still a lot of people playing 1.6. Would FD create such an important story line , which eventually might lead to the (re)discovery of the Thargoids, just for Horizons players? I don't think so. While there are of course parts of the mystery that are planet based, I think the main part will be accessible to 1.6 players too.
This leads me to believe that the map (if it is a map) points to a system rather than a planet.

Does anyone know if a 1.6 player has found a UP? If so has it been honked a sent the same image?

Hey commanders,

could be nothing important but is the first time happen to me, today i was in EOL PROU RS-T D3-94 4 A Ring to mine some Osmium for Jaques and from the asteroid started a strange repetitive sound (is more clear at the end of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZakIV7Ra0

never happen to me something like this, unfortunately i was without scanner because miner outfitting and i don't know if it was some probe or other, sincerely could be nothing, any idea?

possibilities:
1- asteroid was angry you were mining it
2- asteroid was happy you were mining it

I am sorry, I don't find anything related on the front page but do we actually agree regarding the orientation of the UA/UP?
To me it looks as if the orientation is exactly opposite.

If we agree that on the UA the bulbous „head“ points towards Merope A, and the UP points with the larger, bulbous „payload” towards Merope 5C then we must conclude that the UP actually points away from Merope 5C.
The „payload“ of the UP seems like an enlarged and 90° mirrored version of the „head“ .
It would not be logical that that the same „head“ with identical patterns serves different purposes with the UAs and the UPs.

For clarification have a look EcthelionTelrunya’s Unknown Probe video and Obsidian Ant’s Epic History of The Unknown Artifact video.

Another thing that caught me were the UPs light effects. Can the glow of the UPs hard shell contain code? Right now I’m too tired to check.

Tinfoiling:
Are UPs are actually Barnacle spores that spread within the UA Shell? Does that explain why the Barnacles are dying?

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Michael Brookes already hinted that "different information" can be gained by finding free floating UP's.

You can view the hints on the first page of this thread.
Oh, I have read every post since before Riz@L honked the UP. Don't worry.
Now, he did not say that the UP will give us new information, he specifically said "different." That can mean so many things, and it may relate to his other hint about their position being logical, but that's only obvious after the fact. So, the "different" information may be that their positioning makes sense towards understanding the picture.
Anyhooo...let me put it this way; It is illogical for a UP to send an image of where the rest of his buddies can be found. If you get "captured" and taken away from the place you have been a while, would your first order be to tell your "capturers" where the rest of your group is? Would your "orders" be to do it? Not very likely, and definetely not logical...unless the rest of your group are all suicide bombers.
But, until we find a Free Floating UP, we won't know. I'll happily eat my crow if it turns out that the picture shows a UP "shell", but I'll also be most disappointed ;)

Hi cmdrs,
First of all, i apologise if this have already been tested but i cannot find it on the spreadsheet on first page. Have we tryed to honk UP by different bodies (ammonia, metal rich, water etc ... or with different atmosphere) ? The idea is to understand what it looks for to narrow research in space.
It has definitely been tested alot near different bodies. Whether it's been honked at near all of them I couldn't really tell you, but I hope that was part of the testing that was done. Where is Bungalo when you need him?!?
(And your English is pretty much spot on. No need to apologise for that.)

So my obvious conclusion of a cloaked invasion force waiting to pounce on us may not be a possibility after all :)
No, no, no! You said 90-95%!! ;)

thanks commander Rixaeton,

accidentally you gave me the idea that i think will solve this mistery.
the picture you posted it's look a like a clock.

so i think this:

that picture rappresent a clock, a sextant and a compass at the same time.
all three of them are useful to determine a point.

but now i need help because i am completely ignorant about the use of the sextant.
I only know few things.
Within these few things there is the knowing that gave me the idea here above.

So, with the clock it determines the time, with which measure the position on the map thanks to the sextant which is also able to determine the point or latitude of the place in which is located. Then, thanks to the compass, you can orient, despite the absence of reference points, always knowing where they are the north and the other cardinal points

someone help me now to determine the point. thanks

I think you are correct. I had made a posting on this very thing a few days ago on page 414 (which is a loooonnnggg time on this thread) in #6201. I really should keep that URL handy for times like this. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/276077-UAs-Barnacles-and-other-mysteries-Thread-8-The-Canonn/page414?p=4320914&viewfull=1#post4320914

I can't think of any help I need with it right now, as it will be I think another 1.5 days or so before the next conjunction. For today though, I just had an idea about free floating UPs, but I need a UA first, and I know nothing about them really... just what I have read on the forum. I will be reading the guide on the front page on how to get one, and try this experiment:
Find a fresh UA
Let it scan me
It transmits the signal to Merope
Wait.... and wait..... and wait.... and see what happens.

The reasoning behind this is from what I have read of the UA it scans the ship and sends a signal to Merope. I have an idea that the UA is the advance detection system for the UA/UP/Barnacle empire, and it is sending a signal that might be interpreted as "hey: scanned ship=friendly here - come over and see if it can talk"

it may be a long day.

Cheers
Rixaeton.

I am sorry, I don't find anything related on the front page but do we actually agree regarding the orientation of the UA/UP?

If this is true, then it means the UPs are pointing at an infinite number of directions away from 5c. Which means 5c is still the most important focal point because it is the only point in space that the UPs refuse to look at. Thus making it unique and important.

Your advice is very, very helpful and insightful...[praise] The snark, ehhhh :D

Besides, it was the conjunction between the rings and the lines that was 90-95% not the invasion force ;)

I might have to work out the real probability for the conjunction, what are the chances that three lines on what appears to be a navigation image match three fixed elements in the frame of reference to provide a reasonably precise location on a world which was pointed at by the thing that gave you the message?

Cheers
Rixaeton [wacko]

If we agree that on the UA the bulbous „head“ points towards Merope A, and the UP points with the larger, bulbous „payload” towards Merope 5C then we must conclude that the UP actually points away from Merope 5C.
The „payload“ of the UP seems like an enlarged and 90° mirrored version of the „head“ .
It would not be logical that that the same „head“ with identical patterns serves different purposes with the UAs and the UPs.

For clarification have a look EcthelionTelrunya’s Unknown Probe video and Obsidian Ant’sEpic History of The Unknown Artifact video.

Another thing that caught me were the UPs light effects. Can the glow of the UPs hard shell contain code? Right now I’m too tired to check.

Tinfoiling:
Are UPs are actually Barnacle spores that spread within the UA Shell? Does that explain why the Barnacles are dying?

You have to think about this for a second. If one end of the UP points towards a certain point no matter where we take it, WHERE DOES THE OTHER END POINT.
There's a serious serious flaw in your question: you assume that there's a front or a back end to this probe, and that it matters.

One end of this probe points towards m5c. You can say the other end always points away from m5c but who cares, it's just a different way of saying the same thing.

Oh, I have read every post since before Riz@L honked the UP. Don't worry.
Now, he did not say that the UP will give us new information, he specifically said "different." That can mean so many things, and it may relate to his other hint about their position being logical, but that's only obvious after the fact. So, the "different" information may be that their positioning makes sense towards understanding the picture.
Anyhooo...let me put it this way; It is illogical for a UP to send an image of where the rest of his buddies can be found. If you get "captured" and taken away from the place you have been a while, would your first order be to tell your "capturers" where the rest of your group is? Would your "orders" be to do it? Not very likely, and definetely not logical...unless the rest of your group are all suicide bombers.
But, until we find a Free Floating UP, we won't know. I'll happily eat my crow if it turns out that the picture shows a UP "shell", but I'll also be most disappointed ;)

It has definitely been tested alot near different bodies. Whether it's been honked at near all of them I couldn't really tell you, but I hope that was part of the testing that was done. Where is Bungalo when you need him?!?
(And your English is pretty much spot on. No need to apologise for that.)

Arguendo, I usually agree with what you say, but bear with me this time:
Let's assume for a moment that the UP is NOT giving us the message INTENTIONALLY, let's imagine a scenario where in fact it is not a "message" at all.

What I suspect is that our scanner hacked somehow the UP, that in fact replies violently, pushing away our ship, and transmitting "something" not intentionally.

What I think is that the message is not for us (I know, I know, other have already said it): I suspect the drawing is depicting instructions for the UP itself.
Its flight plan.
So, in this scenario, it could be plausible that the drawing contains navigation info for the UP like, for example, WHERE TO GO. That means the drawing could tell us where to find the free floating UPs.
This is just a way to see things differently, remembering what MB said about the wrong assumptions many of us are making.

Last edited:
Riz, do me a favour. Big ol red text top of the main post;

The unknown artefact, without a doubt, tested multiple times, points to the main star in the Merope system. Don't belive us? Get one from Aries Dark Region GW-W D1-52 and test for yourself.

The unknown probe absolutely only points to Merope 5 C. Again, tested multiple times. Go get one and see for yourself.

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Your advice is very, very helpful and insightful...[praise] The snark, ehhhh :D
It was meant in the jokeful tone of my smiley. Hope you took it as that.
I do like your theory, even though most of it pretty much goes "whoosh" on me. The part about the cloaked ships, firmware upgrades, in combination with 90-95% confidence was a bit much though.
Friendly ribbing...nothing more.

And yes, if you are right that the three lines match the way you describe, then again, it is a very interesting theory. To be honest, it seems incredibly advanced for an in-game puzzle though, but maybe I just think that because it goes "whoosh." See, there it did it again ;)

Arguendo, I usually agree with what you say,
It took some work, but I got you over on my side eventually...or was it the other way around. I forget :D
but bear with me this time:
Let's assume for a moment that the UP is NOT giving us the message INTENTIONALLY, let's imagine a scenario where in fact it is not a "message" at all.

What I suspect is that our scanner hacked somehow the UP, that in fact replies violently, pushing away our ship, and transmitting "something" not intentionally.

What I think is that the message is not for us (I know, I know, other have already said it): I suspect the drawing is depicting instructions for the UP itself.
Its flight plan.
So, in this scenario, it could be plausible that the drawing contains navigation info for the UP like, for example, WHERE TO GO. That means the drawing could tell us where to find the free floating UPs.
This is just a way to see things differently, remembering what MB said about the wrong assumptions many of us are making.
That does make sense. I am more inclined to think that the UP replies violently because it needs us to shut up and listen (and ofcourse because it looks awesome!). Not that it's necessarily is meant for us, but that atleast it is a message "for someone."
Could be a navigational map I guess. Pretty sloppy to have intel like that just laying around for others to grab, but a hack could explain it.
I will add that to my list of maybes.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom