Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Total Recall (27.08.3302 - 04.09.3302)

Let me try to explain. This is a recording of my thought process during this remarkable moment

Ah … ! What’s happening? i thought.

Er, excuse me, who am I?

Hello?

Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?

What do I mean by who am I?

Calm down, get a grip now … oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It’s a sort of … yawning, tingling sensation in my … my … well I suppose I’d better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let’s call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it’s getting quite strong. And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that … wind! Is that a good name? It’ll do … perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I’ve found out what it’s for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What’s this thing? This … let’s call it a tail – yeah, tail. Hey! I can can really thrash it about pretty good can’t I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn’t seem to achieve very much but I’ll probably find out what it’s for later on. Now – have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now isn’t it?

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Drum roll .............. and the awards are as follows.

Total Recall 2 : Unlimited class

1st place: Cmdr Cookiehole in the RSXRS Falcon with a time of 41m 52s

2HmJw3g.jpg
2nd place: Cmdr Polly in the Regina Noctis with a time of 46m 36s

uA1leQJ.jpg
3rd place: Cmdr Bruski in the Sugar Glider with a time of 48m 51s

AYeBeQD.jpg

Total Recall 2 : Hauler class

1st place: Cmdr Cookiehole in the Tin Can with a time of 46m 25s

SmQ6HuS.jpg
2nd place: Cmdr Polly in the Vita Brevis with a time of 48m 59s

rQ4KrzM.jpg
3rd place: Cmdr Aken B. in Batteries Not Included with a time of 49m 37s

EZyfyv5.jpg

Total Recall 2 : Big Air challenge

After some further consultation with Cmdr Cheetah it's been decided that there may well have been something a bit iffy about his 3180m jump so I'm leaving his name on the board but officially ...

1st place: Cmdr <-lightspeed-> in the High Flyer with an altitude of 1680m

yNPinZe.png
2nd place: Cmdr Terrorsidic in the ALD Anaconda with an altitude of 1580m

kS853iF.jpg
3rd place: Cmdr Bruski in the Lazarus with an altitude of 1290m

vRsXYsl.jpg

Congratulations one and all!

I would point out that the winners should send me their home address so I can send them some exclusive Buckyball beermats except these are no longer very exclusive at all (i.e. anyone can send me their home address and I'll send them some Buckyball beermats).

Last edited:
My videos are up:

[video=youtube_share;eeN910ZkNt4]https://youtu.be/eeN910ZkNt4[/video]
[video=youtube_share;raAjovNehcU]https://youtu.be/raAjovNehcU[/video]

Race analysis might follow soon, but I'm pretty tired now and don't know how much time I'll have during the next few days... :rolleyes:

Thanks again Alec for organizing this amazing race, it has been great fun! Also thanks to everyone who participated and congrats to the Big Air high-flyers and podium contestants :)

Thanks for giving us this truly epic track, Alec!

As I began my pro-buckyball racing career about four month ago in your first total recall, I must say I was really looking forward to this one. And I enjoyed every second of it! *

Congratulations to everyone, and especially to that darned Cookiehole for the double.

* Except when interdicted, rolling down very large large slopes in low gravity, stuck upside down in giant potholes on the dark side of a planet, pressing the ship launch button instead of deploying the SRV, and high speed docking forgetting that the hauler is shieldless. Well, I may have enjoyed those moments too, but in a strange, masochistic way.

* Except when interdicted, rolling down very large large slopes in low gravity, stuck upside down in giant potholes on the dark side of a planet, pressing the ship launch button instead of deploying the SRV, and high speed docking forgetting that the hauler is shieldless. Well, I may have enjoyed those moments too, but in a strange, masochistic way.

Indeed, this is a challenge for patience and self-control, as much as for precision flight and quick reflexes...I tried quite hard to put in some more attempts, but apparently I lost the favour of the Recall God, at the fourth Unlimited attempt gone awry because of the AI derping recalls, I pulled the plug and considered it a finished business. Congratulations to the winner, the runners-up and everyone who persevered!

Note: all the podium beauty shots have now been updated. Do take a quick look because they're very nice, some have even attempted to do a spot of TrakMark writing!

With a certain amount of smugness I can't fail to notice that I positioned myself above some of the racers that has repeatedly handed me my own *** in previous races, including but not limited to Total Recall 1 and Musical Science. To ensure victory in future races I have devised a cunning plan involving one quick race and then blocking the port entrance with a T9 for the rest of the week.

But now to the post race analysis:

Flying (mostly uninteresting, you should look at Cookieholes analysis instead).
Regina Noctis (ASP):
The advantages of a relatively good FSD (optimal mass 1555) was offset by me constantly forgetting to remove the 5A power plant, the scanners and the heat sink. Also, a weaker engine than the 5A (dirty) I used should probably have been enough since I spent most time braking when approaching a port.
However, my fastest race was a flawless one, with no eclipses or interdictions and lucky grav-breaking. I don't think I've could have done it any faster without optimising my jump range.

Vita Brevis (Hauler):
Here I was eclipsed twice and had to make an emergency stop that cost me about a minute. Don't ask why, because I'm not going to tell! The driving and the grav-breaking was pretty good.

But now, lets focus on driving the SRV. Hard lessons from both Total Recall 1 has been studied and digested. Here are the essentials:

1) Scout the area around the stations. Note two possible headings. Decide which one to use based on the landing pad you are assigned when approaching.

2) Drive recklessly (as shown by BACKER #-4112)
vxfZak6.gif

3) Use your thrusters (images by Alec Turner)
CO2cYkF.png

XOtcPio.png

4) Avoid falling down a huge cliff when you should have recalled your ship 2.91 km earlier (Did this one myself)
TCovY6F.jpg

5) When everything else fails, Stern Winter knows the answer:
Double-Facepalm-Picard-10.jpg

Here's a list of my time for each planet. Time is from screenshot when landing to screenshot 5 km from port (on most occasions this includes turning around and facing the port since the ship was already recalled and I wasn't in a hurry):
Erikson: 2 min 27 s
Forward Horizon: 2 min 27 s
Parker: 3 min 10 s
Cenker: 2 min 22 s
Gwynn: 2 min 22 s
Cardano: 2 min 57 s
Reinmuth: 2 min 1 s

Last edited:
With a certain amount of smugness I can't fail to notice that I positioned myself above some of the racers that has repeatedly handed me my own in previous races, including but not limited to Total Recall 1 and Musical Science. To ensure victory in future races I have devised a cunning plan involving one quick race and then blocking the port entrance with a T9 for the rest of the week.

But now to the post race analysis:

Flying (mostly uninteresting, you should look at Cookieholes analysis instead).
Regina Noctis (ASP):
The advantages of a relatively good FSD (optimal mass 1555) was offset by me constantly forgetting to remove the 5A power plant, the scanners and the heat sink. Also, a weaker engine than the 5A (dirty) I used should probably have been enough since I spent most time braking when approaching a port.
However, my fastest race was a flawless one, with no eclipses or interdictions and lucky grav-breaking. I don't think I've could have done it any faster without optimising my jump range.

Vita Brevis (Hauler):
Here I was eclipsed twice and had to make an emergency stop that cost me about a minute. Don't ask why, because I'm not going to tell! The driving and the grav-breaking was pretty good.

But now, lets focus on driving the SRV. Hard lessons from both Total Recall 1 has been studied and digested. Here are the essentials:

1) Scout the area around the stations. Note two possible headings. Decide which one to use based on the landing pad you are assigned when approaching.

2) Drive recklessly (as shown by BACKER #-4112)
[video]http://i.imgur.com/vxfZak6.gif[/url]

3) Use your thrusters (images by Alec Turner)

4) Avoid falling down a huge cliff when you should have recalled your ship 2.91 km earlier (Did this one myself)

5) When everything else fails, Stern Winter knows the answer:

Here's a list of my time for each planet. Time is from screenshot when landing to screenshot 5 km from port (on most occasions this includes turning around and facing the
port since the ship was already recalled and I wasn't in a hurry):
Erikson: 2 min 27 s
Forward Horizon: 2 min 27 s
Parker: 3 min 10 s
Cenker: 2 min 22 s
Gwynn: 2 min 22 s
Cardano: 2 min 57 s
Reinmuth: 2 min 1 s

Main rep tank drained but brilliant stuff! (P.S. I'm relying on [ QUOTE ] to collapse that wall of text into a ledge of text - apologies if it doesn't)

My videos, incase anyone wants to see what the slower end of the leaderboard looks like :)

And the 1580km big jump at 1h 9m on the unlimited video.

Regulation Hauler
[video=youtube;r0Gq315F-Fg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Gq315F-Fg[/video]

Unlimited Anaconda
[video=youtube;b-Sl0kVxQRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Sl0kVxQRw[/video]

Top Bottom