Discussion Commanders log manual and data sample

I know it was asked for a while back, but is there any chance of providing a decent chunk of journal log for testing purposes?

There are, however, two things that i thoroughly miss:

Good idea. Doing it like that would avoid "the game doesn't know this info when you jump into the system" type problems. It could also remember the last system it saved for each, so opening the map/info again wouldn't repeat the details.

Q: Will player journal will be available in game?/So when are we getting an in game UI for this?
A: This is likely to be added in the future, there’s no ETA at the moment.

Sorry for being a little dumb, but does this mean FD is planning to create its own, first-party player journal tool based on the information in these logs, apart from the 3rd-party tools written by the community?

I love EDDiscovery and Captains Log, but I'd actually prefer to have similar functionality in-game, nicely embedded into the existing UI, without the need to "tab out" every time I want to make a note or look up an entry.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I know it was asked for a while back, but is there any chance of providing a decent chunk of journal log for testing purposes?

From newsletter 142 (20160916) wrt the Ed Guardian Beta: We’re thrilled to let you know that you’ll be jumping in your ship-launched fighters, taking on passenger missions, piloting the Beluga liner and experiencing the rest of the amazing list of features coming to 2.2 The Guardians this coming Tuesday 20th September.

Assuming the first beta has the API enabled we will have lots and lots of data starting next tuesday ;-)

Last edited:
From newsletter 142 (20160916) wrt the Ed Guardian Beta: We’re thrilled to let you know that you’ll be jumping in your ship-launched fighters, taking on passenger missions, piloting the Beluga liner and experiencing the rest of the amazing list of features coming to 2.2 The Guardians this coming Tuesday 20th September.

Assuming the first beta has the API enabled we will have lots and lots of data starting next tuesday ;-)
And if someone dare to share their logs it could be great for those who don't have access to the beta :/

I've been working through some of the items and the manual is missing some of the lists of enum types. Specifically:

• need list of possible values for FactionState (from FSDJump)
  • need list of possible values for Allegiance (from FSDJump)
  • need list of possible values for Economy (from FSDJump)
  • need list of possible values for Government (from FSDJump)
  • need list of possible values for Security (from FSDJump)
  • need list of possible values for CrimeType (from CommitCrime)
  • need list of possible values for USSType (from USSDrop)

I'll keep this up to date with other missing types as I find them.

Last edited:
I'm happy to say that I'm eager for the beta release so I can start testing my DMX lights and effects control program for ED.

If you want to make your room into a starship and have it fill with smoke as the ship heats up, this will be your thing ^_^

[video=youtube;9WkSlcaDqRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WkSlcaDqRo[/video]

Greetings Commanders,

As you may have heard in the 3rd party developers discord or at Lavecon we have a new journal feed being added into game for 2.2 which developers can use to create a player Journal or “Commanders log”. What we would like is to give you information and support ahead of time to ensure that you are able to understand and utilise the functionality from day 1 of release.

To do this we have two downloadable links. One has a manual, explaining how the journal works. The other is a small set of data to get you started.

More data can be compiled later but we felt it was best to get the first set of info out so people can begin understanding the functionality of the Commanders Log.

What’s more, the very amazing Howard Chalkley (who is far more intelligent than I) will be on hand in this thread to answer any questions that you have regarding the journal.

As always, post on this thread and feel free to get in touch directly with any questions, concerns or recommendations.

Thanks again!

===

Manual
http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/journal/Journal_Manual.doc

Data sample
http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/journal/Journal.160719102509.01.log

UPDATE: new updated file: http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/journal/v3/Journal_Manual.doc.

Rare event: Duly +1'd Zac.

I would pay in the Frontier Store for a list of my past First Discovered's. Support says no, I can't have them. This API allows that. *Ahem*.

But you do.

Same for who's has killed me (all NPC's, no worries).

I would also pay for my "Docking Denieds", and reason.

Anything that could not be used as an gross exploit should be available to a player (such as a "grudge list").

EDDiscovery, EDSM, Captain's Log, et al are doing, literally, stellar work. I've PayPal'd them.

My character's exploration history is vital to my immersion in this game. I don't think I'm alone. 3,000+ hours, much spent out in the black.

Please, Zac, talk to The Great Ones for us.

Thanks!

Ralph.

hchalkley

Senior Programmer
Frontier
I've been working through some of the items and the manual is missing some of the lists of enum types. [...]

The FactionState, Allegiance, Economy, Government, and Security should be as in the Galaxy Map filters.

The possible Crimes I have found include Assault, Murder, Piracy, Interdiction, IllegalCargo, DisobeyPolice, FireInNoFireZone, FireInStation, DumpingDangerous, DumpingNearStation, DockingMinor_BlockingAirlock, DockingMajor_BlockingAirlock, DockingMinor_BlockingLandingPad, DockingMajor_BlockingLandingPad, DockingMinor_Trespass, DockingMajor_Trespass, CollidedAtSpeedInNoFireZone, CollidedAtSpeedInNoFireZone_HullDamage

The USSType is not an enum, the game designers can use any string to describe the scenario, as it appears in HUD when scanned

hchalkley

Senior Programmer
Frontier
[...]My character's exploration history is vital to my immersion in this game. [...]

The server's database of first discoveries is highly optimised for lookup by star system, so it can show the names on the system map. Getting a full list of all the first discoveries for one commander would currently be a very expensive query on the server. Making this possible would require sufficient work for the server team that it would have to be scheduled alongside their other work.

hchalkley

Senior Programmer
Frontier
Here's the latest update to the journal manual:

http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/journal/v4/Journal_Manual.doc

v4 changes:
• Add extra parameters to MissionAccepted events: destination info, and passenger info
• Interdiction events IsPlayer value is always a bool
• Clean up "smart quotes" and convert to "straight quotes"
• Add a note about the heading entry in every continuation of the file
• Add ApproachSettlement event

The server's database of first discoveries is highly optimised for lookup by star system, so it can show the names on the system map. Getting a full list of all the first discoveries for one commander would currently be a very expensive query on the server. Making this possible would require sufficient work for the server team that it would have to be scheduled alongside their other work.

This makes a lot of sense. It always boggles my mind that you need to do some sort of a lookup whenever anyone even hovers over a system in the galaxy map, to know whether or not that CMDR has knowledge of the system or not (system map icon red/grey).

I talked to Dav about it at Lavecon, and he did suggest that doing such a check ("exists/doesn't exist") is much cheaper than actually having to look up all the first discoveries though, which also makes a lot of sense.
"The gift that keeps on giving" indeed... :D

Thanks for the updated manual and your work making this happen; looking forward to the beta tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Here's the latest update to the journal manual:

http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/journal/v4/Journal_Manual.doc

v4 changes:
• Add extra parameters to MissionAccepted events: destination info, and passenger info
• Interdiction events IsPlayer value is always a bool
Clean up "smart quotes" and convert to "straight quotes"
• Add a note about the heading entry in every continuation of the file
• Add ApproachSettlement event

OMG the smart-quotes got me when I blindly cut and pasted an example out of the manual and fed it into my JSON parser. Took me at least 40 minutes of frustration to figure out why all of the Python JSON parser libraries I was trying were saying "this isn't JSON" !

:p

The FactionState, Allegiance, Economy, Government, and Security should be as in the Galaxy Map filters.

The example journal shows security, for example, as being $SYSTEM_SECURITY_high_anarcy in one place and $SYSTEM_SECURITY_medium in another. Other items it's unclear as to how spaces are treated and if there are areas such as mis-spellings or similar in the definitions. If you can lay your hands on the defines wherever they are it would help us all a fair bit.

The possible Crimes I have found include Assault, Murder, Piracy, Interdiction, IllegalCargo, DisobeyPolice, FireInNoFireZone, FireInStation, DumpingDangerous, DumpingNearStation, DockingMinor_BlockingAirlock, DockingMajor_BlockingAirlock, DockingMinor_BlockingLandingPad, DockingMajor_BlockingLandingPad, DockingMinor_Trespass, DockingMajor_Trespass, CollidedAtSpeedInNoFireZone, CollidedAtSpeedInNoFireZone_HullDamage

The USSType is not an enum, the game designers can use any string to describe the scenario, as it appears in HUD when scanned

Many thanks for both of these pieces of information.

Makes sense.

Perhaps a new "link" table that links <commander> and <system in which they have a first discovery> might be useful here. It would be lacking links when first introduced but could be populated for new discoveries.

In order to back-fill existing information it could be updated when a commander opens a system map, linking all discoveries in that system. Commanders who are really interested might already have logs of trips and could manually open systems to trigger population.

Or, perhaps it might be better populated as a background task that runs during the more idle time periods.

Then, if a commander asks for a list you can look them up in the link table and do the efficient first discovery lookup per system linked there. The same table would also allow you to highlight discoveries on the galaxy map, potentially.

As you say, all work that needs to be scheduled.

Last edited:

I think you should be able to publish a snapshot of it once a month or so? Michael B did it some 2 years ago, I think this should fit all needs...

What you guys could do is to feed this into a little elasticsearch index and use that instead of SQL to search. You shouldn't even need sharding and loadbalancing, should work on a single machine. This kind of stuff is the perfect usecase for ES :)

I am quite disappointed by how less is added from all the suggestions made by all dev's in the last two months!

There was so much time to discuss and review, but none is done or was simply ignored.

Hope there is more to come, otherwise some things wouldn't work as expected to track by the journal.

I read every line. This is going to answer so many of those "Why Did This Happen?" questions.

What would really be of immense help to me is to have a list of: ship cargo (commodities), materials and data with this matched to engineer blue prints to figure out how much of each type i need for progress.

At the moment i use INARA and update my data with the Cargo input on INARA and then only derive how far i am with each blue print.

This of course is time consuming to manually update each time.

Otherwise its a great job and the information is going to come in as very useful. Much appreciated so far. My only question how it will be displayed / filtered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom