How to get Elite in VR looking CRYSTAL CLEAR.:D

Galloping galaxies ... I gather from another post of yours that you are also using 1080 + CV1 like me ... I haven't dreamed of touching this kind of stuff, will it make much difference if I do?

Yeah I have 1080 + CV1 but ontop of that my rig is overclocked like mad which will gain you the most performance before these little tweaks, every little helps.
I am always looking for more performance with as much ultra graphics as I can have without disrupting my frames per second. While it does dip below 90 over 70 and I'm fine with that.
as I said before running a 4770k at 4.4ghz 2400mhz ram and gtx1080 at 2088mhz and 5400mhz ram

More to come soon guys but I will start my own thread as not to get lost in this one

So I did a video last night just to demonstrate everything maxed out, literaly everything in Elite all setting on and at the highest ultra settings with increased map sizes too. I have managed to squeeze my GTX1080 to push out 2126mhz and memory at 5500mhz. The result in VR was spectacular and it translated very well to my video. Look how smooth my terrain generation is in the video. Its 50 min uncut so I havnt faked anything try to watch the part where I take off from the first planet and land at the second start at 16min. Checkout the occlusion on the rocks. All so watch the part where I climb to the top of the mountain on the second planet an my ship picks me up, pure epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR5ozgyQzKQ

So I did a video last night just to demonstrate everything maxed out, literaly everything in Elite all setting on and at the highest ultra settings with increased map sizes too.

Nice video, but the one question I always have is "is that text in the video what you seen in VR".

Cheers

G.

Theres no problem reading the text. Less so in 2.2 update with supersampling at 0.85 and HMD pixel density at 1.75, even possible to read the little writing when you view material details in side menu. Its a balancing act between render window quality and HMD, for instance I can make the render window really poor quality with 0.5 supersampling and boost the HMD pixel density over 2 to have sharper visuals in the oculus, the negative of that is I cant produce as good quality recorded film.
I suggest when figuring out what works best for you to be at a large busy planetary base with lots of details and where aliasing is most apparent.
Also take note that positioning the oculus perfectly infront of your eyes can reduce blur.

Thanks Bartarama, as I have just had a nice bonus its TIME to get an Oculus.....

Wife is really going to kill me :)

You might be surprised. Got my Oculus 3 weeks ago now and when I first tried out some of the demos like Dreamdeck and Showdown I was SO excited I was like "you HAVE to come and try this!". She patiently put down her magazine and cup of tea and comes over to the PC to humour me. Ten seconds later she was like "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, this is AMAZING!". She couldn't stop smiling and is now addicted to Lucky's Tale. :D

Nah , after 25 years together she has no time for computers, just her books. But who knows, this might be the decider :)

Oh... booooks.. I totally read that wrong. K, not b... my bad. Long day at work.

My signficantly better half has absolutely no patience for it, at all. And I'm fine with that. :D

Last edited:
Well it has not let me down. Plugged it in, ran the debug tool can read everything without leaning in or squinting.

And it completely changes the game, wife still went... AND and went back to her books and trash tv :)

I could sit here all day just watching ships fly in and leave.

See you out in space Cmdr's

Last edited:
I could sit here all day just watching ships fly in and leave.

See you out in space Cmdr's

Haha. I said a similar thing a month and a half ago when I got my vive. It's still just as awesome to he IN the game, it doesn't get old.

Good luck CMDR

Never played this game on a desktop screen, just looked up stats on steam and it says I clocked up 602 hours purely just in VR since July. I guess that speaks for the quality of this game in VR.

It seems that the 2.2 update has changed some things. For example, within the Vive, In-game Super Sampling now has a noticeable effect on image quality. My 2.1 settings just don't look nearly as sharp when transitioned to 2.2. I have been unable to replicate the same image quality I had in 2.1 without experiencing performance issues. I will keep trying and update you guys on my findings and new settings.

It seems that the 2.2 update has changed some things. For example, within the Vive, In-game Super Sampling now has a noticeable effect on image quality. My 2.1 settings just don't look nearly as sharp when transitioned to 2.2. I have been unable to replicate the same image quality I had in 2.1 without experiencing performance issues. I will keep trying and update you guys on my findings and new settings.

You've lowered your SteamVR SS setting back to default/1 ?

You've lowered your SteamVR SS setting back to default/1 ?

Doing so and replacing it with an HMD quality setting of 2.0 is undesirable for me due to my use of a Twitch chat window within my cockpit that takes advantage of the global SteamVR super sample setting. The only way that I've been able to replicate the image quality I had in 2.1 is to increase the in-game super sampling to 0.85 which has negative effects on performance even while running SteamVR beta with Asynchronous Reprojection.

Whatever FDEV changed in 2.2 regarding in-game supersamplings effect on VR image quality and performance within the Vive is frustrating. I hope to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Last edited:
Maybe this is just a placebo effect; nevertheless:

About an hour ago, Steam VR updated itself on my machine. I can now run ED on Ultra settings (preset) without any stuttering unless I park my ship next to the station, and make a violent roll, while trying to keep the station in view.

Inside the station and looking around everything runs like butter. All chaperone settings on Stock (1.0 ss) - Of course ASW on the other one off.

Here are the specs: Geforce 1070 (8 Gigs of GPU mem) - MSI laptop Tobii Dominator 16 GB DDR4 Ram - Win Home 10.

Try to update all of yours and see if your results differ from yesterday.

I'm very, very interested in knowing what people are finding to be the most effective 2.2 settings.

I'm using a CV1, a 1080 and a high-spec 32 RAM, SSD, i7, etc machine.

In 2.1 I was using the Oculus de-bug tool to jack pixels to 2.0 and turning SS down to 0.65 in-game.

Although I know some others preferred more balanced settings, like Z4 (albeit him on Vive) this seemed best to my eyes.

Whilst I appreciate that this sort of thing is very, very subjective I'd really like to gather info on what everyone's finding best now.

Please post your preferred settings!

Top Bottom