End of the Road

I've messed up.

I am less than a thousand light years out from Beagle Point beginning a slow-boat journey home. Using the new feature in the galaxy map which highlights previous systems you have visited, I was retracing my jumps back and made a 50% boost into a system. It has one landable planet with a rich source of materials.

Without thinking, I did a normal jump to the next 'blue' system (which has no planetary bodies) knowing that the NEXT system on is a mere 48 light years from my current one. No problem, I thought. I have 29 ly range on this old Lakon Type 6E.

So you can imagine my horror when I jump into the first system (with no planets) only to see that the NEXT one is 30.3 light years away. I can't make it without boosting and in my stupidity I didn't realise that on the 50% boost I used up all my Germanium.

No problem, I thought, calming myself with a cup of earl grey tea. I will jump BACK to the system behind me with that one landable planet. So I do. Only it has plenty of Vanadium listed but no Germanium at all.

So now I am in a dead end bouncing between two systems, unable to boost, and with one planet I can land on that lacks Germanium - the one material I am missing.

There are no other systems in jump range at all. I have reached the end of the road.

It's my own fault - I was so excited to see my route in to Beagle Point marked out as blue systems that I failed to check the distances correctly.

Not sure what to do now . . .

T73Xem8.jpg

Yes, the system with the landable planet has a few ringed ones (in fact, the landable one is a moon of a ringed world) but I have no mining capabilities alas.

Also, fuel-wise I am running on a tank which is practically empty - hence the 29 LY jump range. That is my absolute maximum - and that system is 1 LY outside it. I feel the galaxy is mocking me now!

Yes, the system with the landable planet has a few ringed ones (in fact, the landable one is a moon of a ringed world) but I have no mining capabilities alas.

Also, fuel-wise I am running on a tank which is practically empty - hence the 29 LY jump range. That is my absolute maximum - and that system is 1 LY outside it. I feel the galaxy is mocking me now!

Sometimes rings spawn materials when mined. Materials that does not have to be refined.

So... hypothetically... A FUEL RAT ELITE with mining laser could go with you into the ring and mine until Germanium material pops, and you collect it.

This would be an epic rescue mission. Worthy of a FD unique reward.

Last edited:

Private message sent.

Wait - so a Fuel Rat could rendezvous with my Lakon Type 6E and blast away at the rings until Germanium pops out? I can then scoop it straight into the materials hold and break free from this hellish twin-system prison???

That would be epic and crazy!

If that could be done, this would be one very grateful Lakon pilot. Let me jump back into ED and get more system details so I can report back.

Wait - so a Fuel Rat could rendezvous with my Lakon Type 6E and blast away at the rings until Germanium pops out? I can then scoop it straight into the materials hold and break free from this hellish twin-system prison???

That would be epic and crazy!

If that could be done, this would be one very grateful Lakon pilot. Let me jump back into ED and get more system details so I can report back.

A rescue worthy of a video log. Proof so that FD can give you medal of rescue or something...

Maybe a custom skin which says: I was mining-rescued 65K ly away from Sol!

Last edited:
Top Bottom