Horizons combat ship recommendation?

Hi, I have been trying out different ships and so far not happy with the types and my load out`s. I am looking for PvE, combat missions and local wars.
What is the recommended ships and load outs?

I have tried the ASP, seems ok but not good in a large battle.
Cobra, the same but not as good as the asp.
Viper, good all rounder can kill an anaconda with ease but again not good in a large combat zone.

I have been looking as suggestions on the vulture, but again some of the posts are old (about a year old)
Thanks for any help

Get an iCourier.

Put PE thrusters on.

Put some basic mods on.

Enjoy using a 800 m/s Lord of the Trolls.

what was your problem with a viper mkIII in combt zones?

did you try a cobra with hull reinforcement packages?

AspE has a really huge hitbox, so i can understand it having problems in CZ.

i personally fly a DBS mostly in CZ - can recommend that.

and 10+ mio will buy you a vulture, which is the ultimate small combat ship.

it was a quick post, had to go out lol.
I didnt like the cobra in combat I pref the viper, I had a better kill ratio with it.

FED allied post cpt, empire friendly barron, alli 0 neutral.

I already have a few modded ships so cash isnt too much of a problem, if I had to sell a few parts and/or ships about 150 mill+ cash to play with :).
I was looking for a meat grinder :D, the ships and outfitting I have are ok for general use.

(I have bought a FDL, though atm its almost fully kitted out except for the armour need about an extra 50 mill, so saving that for a later date)

As for weapons I have used a mixture of weapons, from gimballed beams and multiguns and a few turrets, (my setup for the ASP is 4 g1 turret pulse lasers 1 2f burst turret and 1 2e beam)
for the smaller ships like the viper had gimballed beams x2 and the rest multicannons, works well for me :)

Last edited:
I was looking for a meat grinder :D, the ships and outfitting I have are ok for general use.

well, try a vulture, it is the ultimate meat grinder.

more subtile would be an imperial courier (you have the rank), but vulture is more in line with viper.

i personally fly eagle - dbs - courier and fdl ... i prefer speed and manouverability over tankyness... but a vulture is a special fun for its industrial efficiency.

with that kind of money, you can also buy a FDL, which is the currently most flown high end combat ship - and it shares most internals with a vulture, so you can try both with modded thrusters, shield, booster etc.

what was your problem with a viper mkIII in combt zones?

did you try a cobra with hull reinforcement packages?

AspE has a really huge hitbox, so i can understand it having problems in CZ.

i personally fly a DBS mostly in CZ - can recommend that.

and 10+ mio will buy you a vulture, which is the ultimate small combat ship.

well, try a vulture, it is the ultimate meat grinder.

more subtile would be an imperial courier (you have the rank), but vulture is more in line with viper.

i personally fly eagle - dbs - courier and fdl ... i prefer speed and manouverability over tankyness... but a vulture is a special fun for its industrial efficiency.

with that kind of money, you can also buy a FDL, which is the currently most flown high end combat ship - and it shares most internals with a vulture, so you can try both with modded thrusters, shield, booster etc.

This chap always has some reasonable advice.

Personally in a CZ I steer clear of anything with weak shields - viper is well out the question because if a pack spawns on me, or another player decides I look tasty, I want resistance maxed shields with a little bulk; viper base shield does not cover this, and two utility slots make this infinitely less viable.

Otherwise, HRPs all the way, DBS is the best small ship with sub-midrange shields, but none of that matters if you can get a FDL. Which doesn't stop the DBS rocking.

Vultures...meh. I've had a couple of disputes around the vulture, one or two with Goemon involved, so I'll cut the hoo-hah...vulture is the easiest killing machine to fly. Not the most effective, but if you're not a born/bred combat pilot, they be easy to have a decent level of effectiveness.

I fly a stealth DBS, Vulture, or Keelback with SLF.

All decent combat ships. The Vulture and DBS are good in CZs.

Vulture I use for assassination missions.

Keelback awesome for bounty hunting.

An Eagle and help out big ships in your CZ, if you really short on cash.
Diamondback scout if you are short on cash.
Then an Imperial Courier.
After that I would go for a Vulture.
And possibly a FDL after that, but I have no experience with a FDL.

I got my FDL up and running, cant afford the military armour yet, but the con fig is all internal is lvl A, 4A shield cell bank,4D hull reinforcement,4x A shield boosters, 2 point defence, 4 2F turret pulse lasers and 1 C3 gimbal frag cannon.

So far in a high resource extraction point in the sol system, its holding its own, with out too much hastle, havent tried in a combat zone yet

I got my FDL up and running, cant afford the military armour yet, but the con fig is all internal is lvl A, 4A shield cell bank,4D hull reinforcement,4x A shield boosters, 2 point defence, 4 2F turret pulse lasers and 1 C3 gimbal frag cannon.

So far in a high resource extraction point in the sol system, its holding its own, with out too much hastle, havent tried in a combat zone yet

- class 5 scb and class 4 shield will give you more total MJ (i run my FDL without scb, but with a bi-weave)

- try a huge MC instead of a large frag (i love frags, but it is a bit of lost DPS to go for a large frag instead of a huge MC)

Yea, the shop only had those parts lol, up get the better upgrade when I get to founders world, I just changed the fc to a canon lvl3, again got to get the lvl4 version. I like the cell banks as it give me a better edge if I get into trouble and saves time to have to go get repairs. Also the config is good on power output and energy use, I can keep an extra unit/blip to shields and still keep a constant fire without draining the power bank :)

Top Bottom