Mission redirects are annoying

• Thread starter Deleted member 115407
  • Start date

Deleted member 115407

D
FD, you either need to kill mission redirects, or make them optional. The way they work now is extremely annoying. Please look at it from a player's perspective.

Fire the game up, mission board is packed with delivery and supply missions. Awesome.
Stack up 10 of them, check out the gal map. Mission board full again, awesome.
Stack up 10 more (6, actually, I think).

Go to system A. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system B. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system C. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system D. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system E. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system F. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system G. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.
Go to system H. SC to station. Deliver cargo. Open the gal map, plot a new course.

Great, one delivery to go. Hours have passed and I'm ready to turn-in and log out. Can pick up my supply commodities in the same system

Go to system I. SC to station. Pick up cargo.
Set waypoint for origin system, ready to rock and roll.

INCOMING MISSION CRITICAL MESSAGE! Take commodity to system B instead.
INCOMING MISSION CRITICAL MESSAGE! Take commodity to system H instead.
INCOMING MISSION CRITICAL MESSAGE! Take commodity to system C instead.
INCOMING MISSION CRITICAL MESSAGE! Take commodity to system F instead.
INCOMING MISSION CRITICAL MESSAGE! Take commodity to system G instead.

That's ridiculous and I don't want to do it, especially for 50k credits. One redirect every once in a while I'm OK with. I'm not going to backtrack to all of these systems. Make these redirects optional, for an extra reward, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree.
If you take a contract, changing the terms of the contract must be agreed by both parties. Usually, in the case of a haulage contract, it will only be redirected for an additional fee and that's only if the haulier agrees to do it.

I have taken a few items of cargo for a pittance just to get rep with the minor faction and had it redirected almost as I was approaching the station to deliver it. The redirect took me to another system and cost me more in fuel overall than the reward gave me. I didn't want to dump the mission and lose rep so I had to do it but it ended up costing me money. However, the ONLY option is to dump the mission and the cargo as well since it immediately becomes stolen goods.

The alternative would be to have an option to take it somewhere else for an additional fee or deliver it to the original destination for the original fee. If you have to go to the original destination for another mission, you don't have to hand in the redirected cargo, you can still take it to the new destination.

I read somewhere that if you don't open/read the mission critical message, the new location isn't updated, so you can hand the mission at the original destination.

I could be mistaken, but I'm gonna experiment with this later.

When you look at a mission and see a planetary icon starburst to the right that means that there is the possibility of changing the final destination to a planetary base. As usual it is a roll of the dice. If your ship is not prepared to take on these challenges, check out the gravity of the planet to adjust for the correct approach and complete the mission then of course you are going to be frustrated. So it is either not taking the missions or configuring your ship so that they are just an annoyance rather than a game breaker. It is a good edition to the game getting the player to figure out what is going on and adapt for the best planetary landings. Many higher paying missions will have this. Another challenge. The fact that Frontier does not tell you what that icon means is part of the game play. But now you know. Welcome to Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
When you look at a mission and see a planetary icon starburst to the right that means that there is the possibility of changing the final destination to a planetary base. As usual it is a roll of the dice. If your ship is not prepared to take on these challenges then of course you are going to be frustrated. So it is either not taking the missions or configuring the ship so that they are just an annoyance rather than a game breaker. It is a good edition to the game getting the player to figure out what is going on and adapt. Another challenge. The fact that Frontier does not tell you what that icon means is part of the game play. But now you know. Welcome to Elite Dangerous.

I think it's great to encourage adaptation. There are some problems with the way it's implemented though. Like many other mission design decisions, it makes me think they weren't playtested for all play styles. As if the play tester tested the functionality of a single redirect, but never bothered to stack 20 haulage missions, have a quarter of them redirected 90% of the way through the run, and experience how annoying it is.

I'm sure there are newer commanders who find it a fun mechanic that offers a little extra pay, some variation, and an exciting "Incomming Mission Critical Message". For those of us who have the trading/mission system nailed down pretty tightly, the 50k Cr bonus and the unavoidable extra time commitment is nothing more than an annoyance. You can satisfy both play styles by simply enabling an accept/reject option on the message. If they can do that with other mission offers, they should be able to easily port that to cargo missions.

This is especially true, also, when you've carefully selected missions with easily accessible drop-off points, and they are redirected to ridiculous locations 250k Ls out from arrival point.

Another example being "wetwork" style missions, where you don't know what you're getting into until you drop into the system and subsequently find out that you are going to have to spend the next four hours of your game time pulling 36 ships out of supercruise. Hint, FD, that's not fun. Either give us smaller target counts, or give us target-rich realspace environments where we can complete such missions.

- - - Updated - - -

I read somewhere that if you don't open/read the mission critical message, the new location isn't updated, so you can hand the mission at the original destination.

I could be mistaken, but I'm gonna experiment with this later.

I'll see if it's true and let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well per Michael these redirects are becoming optional in 2.3. So I guess that pretty much resolves the issues. I liked the original premise. But being optional makes those starburst icons pretty useless. Probably something more in line as is done with passenger missions where one can accept or reject requests from the passengers but there are consequences. I'm not seeing them here. Maybe a loss of 20% profit if the redirect is not accepted as an idea to bounce around and see how it plays. I'm not sure this is the best current decision but I'll go with the flow. Meanwhile my Python and Cutter will be making a lot more credits a lot faster without redirects! I'm OK with that. :)

Last edited:
My personal favourite was when I was hauling stuff in my Clipper and got redirected to an outpost, not only was I obviously not going to be able to land there it was 300,000ls away from the Star, I had to go to a station, several jumps away, buy a type 6, travel again to another station to get an FSD upgrade as I couldn't make the jumps on the standard grade E with the cargo weight. All the hassle for a measly 5000cr and I lost 100k+ when I got rid of the Type 6 lol.

These delivery redirects are being made optional in 2.3.

Michael

Good move Mr. Brookes.
Thank you and +1.

Thanks for the mission timer relaxation in 1.7 as well. Makes real life interruptions and such easier to deal with. Much appreciated. Although, some few missions with super-strict time limits might still be fun to see as a challenge, just not the majority.

Wow ! Amazing.

Maybe we can even get the 0H 0M mission update fixed also. I thought maybe they fixed it since it has been ages since I got one but nope got one today. This isn't a huge deal but usually when you get one of these your docking request at an outpost is denied or you get interdicted as your approaching a port.

We can keep hoping

Caliber_az

Top Bottom