A Final Plea to Frontier for Longer Hairstyles

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've decided to give this one final appeal in the hopes that someone at Frontier sees this post and would reconsider there stance on hair options. Also forgive me for the wording here, I'm on my phone on a tour bus while on vacation as I'm writing this.

Many of us have stated that we were hoping for longer hair options with the character creator, especially on the female avatars. As a woman with long hair in real life, I've always envisioned my character to also have long hair. Now I get why some might see this as a minor thing but for the role players around this community our's character's appearance to the world is just as important as our ability to hyperspace jump.

For me personally the character creator is the single most important update to Elite Dangerous because it finally gives others a face to put with the words written about my character. However, since the original reveal of the NPC portraits in the 2.1 update I and many others have had concerns about the lack of hair on the female characters. For me that concern is an actual fear. That fear grew once the PS4 trailer was released and there was a woman in the co pilot seat and she still had crazy short hair.

This was frightening because it hinted at the idea of my character, who is based directly off me in my real life, won't almost certainly be forced to have short hair. I'm not comfortable with that idea. So much so that it strongly threatens my future in this game. I've always have had extremely long hair in real life, usually dyed pink. In most video games where a character creator allowed for it my characters would always have the longest hair possible that also was dyed to match my personality.

In Elite until now I as a role player has had to rely solely on my mind's eye and my words to envision and describe CMDR Momoka Azuka, 5 foot 1, petite build, long flowing hair dyed her signature pink with the one exception of when it was dyed blue to aid in keeping her off the radar while on the run. My character's hair is so important in my it's been used as a plot device. A part of that comes from my own personal struggles with my identity. That's not a reason to cater to me. I'm simply explaining why I feel so strongly about this topic.

So when the live stream went live, I was watching quietly with my fingers crossed that there would be options that fit my character. Sadly, my heart broke when the only even remotely close option was a super thin ponytail was the longest hairstyle in the bunch. I was and still am devastated by that reveal.

Several people have said multiple times that the reasoning for this choice is due to the Remlok helmets on our flight suits. Now I understand that you're programming a game to be within a form of realism but this is a bit extreme and quite honestly from my point of view it feel unfair.

There's no hair options at all that could be of shoulder length? Not one? There's not a single option there for people like me who would very much be lost in an otherwise wonderful character creator for hours on end and have the ability to express ourselves to the world through our avatars. I can't help but feel strongly about this because this isn't something I can opt out of if I don't like it like powerplay or cqc. And I can't simply ignore it either because everything else about the character creator is really strong.

Frontier, I'm begging, pleading with you, please. You have a very good thing here with this character creator. It's the strongest one I've seen in this style of game in a very long time. But I can not even remotely enjoy it when there's not a single option for the female avatars that even remotely like hair I would have. Please reconsider adding in a few shoulder length hair styles, within reason. Please, even if that means just a tiny amount of hand-waving needs to happen.

The options can quite honestly be as simple as thicker higher up ponytails that drop down tho the tip of where the thin one in the live stream was. Other options a well of a few styles of straight hair that reach shoulder length. The styles can be static if need be just as long as it's something. Perhaps maybe the style Ciri or Triss had in The Whiter 3. Or a few of the mid range hairstyles in the Sims games. They don't have to be dynamic like in those games, I'm only referring to the styles. They should still be within reason to fit into the Remlok system in a reasonable state. But please Frontier, please not just that one extremely thin ponytail.

I'd post pictures of examples but as I said before I'm on my phone as I'm writing this.

I know there's going to be a lot of hate coming to this thread but I feel this is far too important to just give up on. To all the players that are going to post here about other issues that they feel are important, please try to keep in mind that for some of us this is just as important what ever issues you address. That doesn't mean those issues don't matter at all to me. This post is simply a request to reconsider something that would make a lot of role players, and me especially enjoy the content of the 2.3 update more.

We're still in Beta! If you can get a consensus of players, you may still get your wish. In the stream, it was repeatedly said that things can change.

Problem i see is that elite ships don't have artificial gravity, this is what long hair looks like in 0G.

406px-Weightless_hair.jpg

I guess pigtails could work maybe?

main_900.jpg

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I'm all for more options, and as someone who wastes a ton of time in character creators, I sympathize.

At this late juncture I doubt it'll happen, but I guess we'll just see.

Elite ships don't have artificial gravity. This is what your long hair would looks like in 0G.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Weightless_hair.jpg/406px-Weightless_hair.jpg

I guess pig tails could work tho'

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/...ition-36/i24_6e005892/main_900.jpg?1420505667

I have seen that picture posted so many times when this topic is brought up that it is starting to feel like a troll post. I'm fairly certain that that's not your intentions though so don't take this comment the wrong way. But I am well aware of this. But is that were the case with the game the the short hair should also be affected by this and it clearly isn't from the live stream. With that said is my request really so hard to except?

Problem i see is that elite ships don't have artificial gravity, this is what long hair looks like in 0G.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Weightless_hair.jpg/406px-Weightless_hair.jpg

I guess pigtails could work maybe?

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/...ition-36/i24_6e005892/main_900.jpg?1420505667

The OP is aware that realism is against them. Of course, there's always hair gel.

Or, if we've got cybernetic eyes, magnetic cyborg hair like EDI from Mass Effect?

[video=youtube_share;X4GDedguJhk]https://youtu.be/X4GDedguJhk[/video]

Edit: Ninja'd!

Last edited:
I'm all for more options, and as someone who wastes a ton of time in character creators, I sympathize.

At this late juncture I doubt it'll happen, but I guess we'll just see.

I know. This is more or less a final hail marry to the endzone. Like most times it's tried in American football it's very unlikely to work but I've got nothing to lose at this point

The OP is aware that realism is against them. Of course, there's always hair gel.

Or, if we've got cybernetic eyes, magnetic cyborg hair like EDI from Mass Effect?

It's not so much that I'm against it so much but that's not really what the issue even is about. Plus even Frontier themselves aren't going with that level of realism

- - - Updated - - -

FINAL Plea? They JUST had the live stream - we're in for a galaxy of whines before the word "Final" starts creeping into any new feature rookie

Look I said in this very post that this has been an ongoing thing. Could you not try to derail my post with this talk of whining. Stay on topic or don't post her please

I was just trying placate the hardcore immersion people. I've been doing it since the 2.3 announcement dropped. :D

The main barrier I think you have is animating the hair. It looks like all the current models are static (I'm checking the stream), but the head can move dynamically. I'm not sure if FDev would be satisfied with clipping issues if there is no framework for animating hair, either to simulate gravity or acceleration changes.

I have seen that picture posted so many times when this topic is brought up that it is starting to feel like a troll post. I'm fairly certain that that's not your intentions though so don't take this comment the wrong way. But I am well aware of this. But is that were the case with the game the the short hair should also be affected by this and it clearly isn't from the live stream. With that said is my request really so hard to except?

I've missed previous topics about this and your OP made no mention being aware of how hair behaves in space. That said i'm not opposed to it, just pointing out the primary issue i saw with it that could be shoehorned in the lore, in case you did not know.

What if... our hair is our helmet?

I was just trying placate the hardcore immersion people. I've been doing it since the 2.3 announcement dropped. :D

The main barrier I think you have is animating the hair. It looks like all the current models are static (I'm checking the stream), but the head can move dynamically. I'm not sure if FDev would be satisfied with clipping issues if there is no framework for animating hair, either to simulate gravity or acceleration changes.

Sure but the thing is there's not a single video game to date that can avoid that. Maybe that is the reasoning behind there decision, but if it is then they should really reconsider. I said it in the post I'd take static hair in to post over nothing at all. I know I'm not alone on that.

I've missed previous topics about this and your OP made no mention being aware of how hair behaves in space. That said i'm not opposed to it, just pointing out the primary issue i saw with it that could be shoehorned in the lore, in case you did not know.

What if... our hair is our helmet?

My post on it have been mostly spread out over a year of post throughout the forums. Most recently yesterday in the live stream thread. The picture was posted many times there as well along with the explanation of the helmets, which again I'm fully aware of

FD just showed a yuge amount of awesomeness with only a part of 2.3, and more will be coming on Thursday. I suggest IF you want to be taken seriously, is to wait until beta starts, play beta, then make your concerns about 2.3 beta known. Now is not the time. And realize the yuge amount of work FD is doing and understand they can not please everyone. I waited a year for somethings that I had wished FD did previously.

I happen to agree with the OP. My character's long hair actually is actually part of her background, as well as a big part of how she expresses herself, especially as an Imperial.

Think about how long hair would react to the pseudo-gravity of a spinning station. On one of the larger rings of an Ocellus Station, the ends of long hair is actually travelling a few centimeters faster than the head they're attached to. Dealing with that effect requires both an awareness of your surroundings, as well a bit of practice so you don't embarrass yourself.

Long hair also makes a pretty nifty compass when navigating such a station, as well as providing a hint on how you need to lead your target if you're using a slug thrower.

I have, however, always assumed that Inga keeps her hair in a tight bun when actually piloting her ship. No matter how good she wants to look, it's important to ensure that the Remlok to function properly.

Looking at the stream again, I really want to see a character with the 'bob" haircut looking around. It's either gelled to stupid levels or under gravity (like the ponytail). And any rolling of the head would cause clipping issues, like in long hair the OP is requesting. Other hairstyles have hair going down the neck to a significant degree. There must be a dynamic way for that hair to move or the model to stretch, right?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom