Do I, or do I not ?

Pull the trigger? On the Rift CV1?

After 6 years, I'm building a new PC setup. I never had VR headset.
Originally I didn't think of wanting to have VR headset, but a friend is currently at position to be able to get it for an attractive price, so if I don't buy it now, who knows when will I get this opportunity again.

I'm not interested in technicalities, just need your honest opinion.
Go for it or not?
Any of you regret buying it?
Are you really using it daily, or did you buy it thinking you'll be using it, but instead it's mainly collecting dust on your shelf?

Thanks

Bought a CV-1 at Christmas. Haven't regretted it since, although tbh once you've tried all the demos of other games, ED is the only thing I use it for. GTAV is quite good fun, as is Doom (with VorpX) - but personally the drop in resolution and colour gamut is much more of a loss in those ones.

If ED is your primary source of gaming goodness then I'd recommend it, though you should have a good HOTAS setup as a first investment. If you want to just experience some VR stuff I'm not sure it's quite there yet.

VR is amazing. Have used the DK1, DK2 and now switched to the HTC Vive. There's not that much support (yet) but the experiences there are are really something else and you wouldn't believe how much you feel 'there', in the game world. I don't use it daily though - games like Fallout 4 and Deus EX: MD that I played lately don't support it. I will play ED with it - but I am still new to the game and currently I'm just working on building muscle memory for the Hotas for when I'm wearing the headset! :)

Absolutely, definitely, emphatically YES. Had my Oculus since November and Oh. My. God. It is absolutely stunning, the most exciting piece of tech I've owned since ... err, forever. It utterly transforms Elite Dangerous. As many have said, you can build yourself the biggest triple screen or 180 projection sim pit you like but at the end of the day you're still just looking AT Elite Dangerous. With an Oculus you are IN it.

Also highly recommend the Touch controllers while you're at it. I got Robo Recall at the weekend and it's an insane amount of fun. They're also worth it just for Google Earth VR which is mind blowing.

There's a bunch of VR related stuff at the bottom of my "Best of the forum" thread which you might find interesting too ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...here)-thread?p=4997022&viewfull=1#post4997022

Last edited:
Bought a CV-1 at Christmas. Haven't regretted it since, although tbh once you've tried all the demos of other games, ED is the only thing I use it for. GTAV is quite good fun, as is Doom (with VorpX) - but personally the drop in resolution and colour gamut is much more of a loss in those ones.

If ED is your primary source of gaming goodness then I'd recommend it, though you should have a good HOTAS setup as a first investment. If you want to just experience some VR stuff I'm not sure it's quite there yet.

VR is amazing. Have used the DK1, DK2 and now switched to the HTC Vive. There's not that much support (yet) but the experiences there are are really something else and you wouldn't believe how much you feel 'there', in the game world. I don't use it daily though - games like Fallout 4 and Deus EX: MD that I played lately don't support it. I will play ED with it - but I am still new to the game and currently I'm just working on building muscle memory for the Hotas for when I'm wearing the headset! :)

I do have X52 Hotas system.
I intend to use it primarily for ED and some driving VR games (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, etc.). Also for anything else that comes along and looks nice in VR.
We played a bit with friend's Samsung Galaxy S7 and Gear VR. It was a nice experience, but pixels were too obvious for my taste. Not sure how that compares to the Rift or Vive?
The S7 has QHD screen, split into two when you mount it into Gear VR.

You will always get a bit of pixels in today's VR headsets - that's just a consequence of how close the screens are to your eyes and the lenses used. But it's really not that bad and you soon forget about it. I certainly don't notice it anymore. Once you have it, be sure to try Google Earth in VR - it's simply amazing to fly around the world and walk around cities...

(I REALLY need to get my ED VR setup sorted... The more I read about it in VR and the more I play it the more I want to BE in that world! :D ).

I still use mine, though there was a time (before I got Touch) that it gathered dust for a bit. I use it pretty much every day now.

Ive said many times before and still is the case: I can NEVER go back to playing ED in normal 2D monitors!!!

If you play a lot of Elite then without any shadow of a doubt. In fact the type of games you've mentioned should all work well with VR. Where it shines is games that have a point of reference for your brain to not flip out that you're not actually moving. With Elite it's the ship but the same will be true for the driving games.

So yeah if that's your play style definitely go for it.

Oh and follow the advice on picking options for Elite, the difference it makes is stunning.

I do have X52 Hotas system.
I intend to use it primarily for ED and some driving VR games (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, etc.). Also for anything else that comes along and looks nice in VR.
We played a bit with friend's Samsung Galaxy S7 and Gear VR. It was a nice experience, but pixels were too obvious for my taste. Not sure how that compares to the Rift or Vive?
The S7 has QHD screen, split into two when you mount it into Gear VR.

I'm not too certain about the s7, since I have an s6 but I don't really think it's a big difference for VR.

The s6 and gear compared to vive or rift, is well, crap.

I'm sure someone will technically say the gear has potential for higher res, but it's still vastly limited by the phone and it's processing.
In fact, most gear vr titles are downsampled, where the rift and a powerful machine can use super sampling.
And that makes for a big difference.

Also, the biggest and most important things for VR, is positional head tracking and high framerates. The gear has only rotational tracking and 60fps.
For VR that's about the same as playing a game on a monitor at 30fps vs a smooth 60, it is the bare minimum of what is acceptable withouth heavy frame interpolation.
And honestly that is the two important aspects for a comfortable experience.

Last edited:
Alright. I really enjoyed what Samsung Gear VR showed me and I knew it's not comparable to true VR headset, so dang it...I pulled the trigger.
For both the headset and touch controllers.

Thank you all :)

P.S.
Expect a multitude of newbie questions when I receive it :p

Last edited:
Alright. I really enjoyed what Samsung Gear VR showed me and I knew it's not comparable to true VR headset, so dang it...I pulled the trigger.
For both the handset and touch controllers.

Thank you all :)

P.S.
Expect a multitude of newbie questions when I receive it :p

I can give you a tip. Do not try to control the galaxy map with a mouse. It is impossible. Switch the grid on and map controls to the your controller of choice (not mouse though). Even a keyboard will be better.

I can give you a tip. Do not try to control the galaxy map with a mouse. It is impossible. Switch the grid on and map controls to the your controller of choice (not mouse though). Even a keyboard will be better.

Yeah although you can click the icon with the mouse once you've used the w, a, s and d to select the star, you just have to keep your head very still whilst doing it. Or use the left hand menu for selecting nearby systems/planets and stations.

Originally I didn't think of wanting to have VR headset, but a friend is currently at position to be able to get it for an attractive price, so if I don't buy it now, who knows when will I get this opportunity again.

Go for it or not?
Are you really using it daily, or did you buy it thinking you'll be using it, but instead it's mainly collecting dust on your shelf?

Thanks

i would say it is a try before you buy. me, i have had my monies worth and a LOT more, but i am a self confessed VR fanboy.

my teenage dream came true after playing with virtuality in the early 1990s in july 2014 with DK2and i have not looked back since, half of the people who demoed my rift have gone out and bought either a rift or vive, but not everyone was so impressed.

edit you have ordered already... good work!

make sure you get all the freebie stuff of oculus home.
there is a lot of free stuff on steam too, tho the quality is more hit and miss - as is always the case with steam.

Robo Recall is the daddy!

Last edited:

Ruined me, started turning my phone off during long ED sessions, lack of sleep, even stopped having my evening drink (VR and whiskey is not a good mix) Random friends turning up to have a go (Cutting into MY time) sending my girlfriend to the Spa so I can get some extra hours in at home. Can't touch non VR games.. Currently 8 weeks away from home without Elite dangerous and VR, wake up with cold sweats ;-)

Ok maybe not that bad, VR is addictive though, for me ED stopped feeling like a game, it's a futuristic alternate reality that I can escape to.

Last edited:

Go for it or not?

Thanks

what are the PC specs?
I agree to all posts here. I am also hooked to VR. All I can contribute is that I believe a 1080GTX is minmum for VR.

OP just make sure you put some cash aside for a powerful GPU as ED in VR needs a lot of grunt to maintain close to 90 FPS with graphics settings turned up. I don't know what others think but I'd consider a 1080 to be the minimum (and remember 1080ti coming out in a matter of days).

Yes, and also regular steamvr games does work with touch as well.
And so far unlike oculus, steam has a very nice returns policy.

In a nutshell, once you buy a game on steam you have either two weeks or two hours of game time to ask for a refund.

This has proven quite useful since the steamvr titles range from truly amazing to " dear lord, what where they thinking?".

The most recommended vr experience I have had on vive is hotshots, hotdogs, and handgrenades.
It's basically a gun range simulator with some crazy why not's thrown in.
Granted this has been mainly designed for the vive, but should have full support for touch.

Of course if you hate guns, and think handgrenade skeeball sound boring. It might not float your boat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom