Seeking advice for Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X.

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
Hi guys. My X52 died a couple months ago, and I've been using a gamepad since.

However, I want to get back to using a stick. I'm on a tight budget, but we all know excellent value for money the titled model is. So I'm going to buy one today.

I wanted to ask, how do people map their controls for the stick? I tried searching for guides but my Google-Fu is pretty pap today. Any links and such will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. My X52 died a couple months ago, and I've been using a gamepad since.

However, I want to get back to using a stick. I'm on a tight budget, but we all know excellent value for money the titled model is. So I'm going to buy one today.

I wanted to ask, how do people map their controls for the stick? I tried searching for guides but my Google-Fu is pretty pap today. Any links and such will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all! :)
I used a HOTAS X Throttle with Logitech 3d Extreme joystick as the thrustmaster joystick didn't have enough buttons for me.

Honestly, if you want a REALLY good HOTAS spend the extra and get a T.16000M with more buttons than you need.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

Last edited:
If you do want a HOTAS X, Isinona uses one, here are his maps around the 30 sec mark.

[video=youtube_share;WtD41MRibe4]https://youtu.be/WtD41MRibe4[/video]

Deleted member 110222

D
I used these bindings that CMDR intel352 posted as a starting point and then tweaked for my personal likings

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...otas-X-SRV-supported-starter-keymap-bind-file

It uses multiple shift keys to make up for the lack of buttons.

You're going to have to forgive my ignorance here. What is a shift key? I have read here and there about "UI shift". Is thus changing the function of the buttons on the controller?

- - - Updated - - -

I used a HOTAS X Throttle with Logitech 3d Extreme joystick as the thrustmaster joystick didn't have enough buttons for me.

Honestly, if you want a REALLY good HOTAS spend the extra and get a T.16000M with more buttons than you need.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

You think it's worth it? I'm open to getting that model as well. :)

Have not needed a hotsa since I left WWII fighter sims.
When I started ED I had a Thurstmaster X Stick in the closet, so I started using it.
Voice Attack also sheds the need for so many buttons.

You're going to have to forgive my ignorance here. What is a shift key? I have read here and there about "UI shift". Is thus changing the function of the buttons on the controller?

Elite allows you to bind button combinations to functions so what you can do is use one or more of the buttons on your joystick as so-called "shift" keys. Generally these don't do anything when pressed by themselves but affect the behaviour of other buttons. For example, on my Thrustmaster T-Flight I have the thumbstick operating my vertical and lateral thrusters when pressed by itself, but if I hold button 5 then they operate my pips, if I hold button 6 they target next/prev ship and next/prev subsystem, if I hold button 7 they operate my various side panels and if I hold button 8 they do miscellenous things (lights, silent running, FA off and galaxy map). As you can see I'm actually using 4 "shift" buttons which gives me an enormous amount of flexibility. To map a button combination you simply go to the control bindings screen, pick the function you want and then hold down the desired button combination.

Last edited:
The T1600 is indeed a good stick by all accounts, but the one big advantage the T-Flight has is the center detent on the throttle which is geat for reverse.
You can use a couple of the buttons on the throttle as "shift keys" whilst held to double their functions. I use the lower thumb button whilst held coupled with the hat on the stick to look around. If I hold the other spare button and use the hat, it jumps betweem left/right/coms panels.
The game recognises it as a T-Flight and has reasonable presets that I didn't have to modify that much really.

Mine lasted about 2 years before the yaw on the stick started to get a bit jumpy, but at about £20-30 its not to much trouble to just replace it every couple of years.

For the money I think its excellent value, and you can increase the accuracy loads using "Joystick Curves" program.

EDIT: Ninjad byAbove. What Alec said lol!
EDIT AGAIN: What everyone above said, whose messages appeared whilst typing[big grin] What everyone else said first, Ha Ha!

Last edited:
The T1600 is indeed a good stick by all accounts, but the one big advantage the T-Flight has is the center detent on the throttle which is geat for reverse.
You can use a couple of the buttons on the throttle as "shift keys" whilst held to double their functions. I use the lower thumb button whilst held coupled with the hat on the stick to look around. If I hold the other spare button and use the hat, it jumps betweem left/right/coms panels.
The game recognises it as a T-Flight and has reasonable presets that I didn't have to modify that much really.

Mine lasted about 2 years before the yaw on the stick started to get a bit jumpy, but at about £20-30 its not to much trouble to just replace it every couple of years.

For the money I think its excellent value, and you can increase the accuracy loads using "Joystick Curves" program.

I own both sticks. I used Joystick Curves with the T-Flight, and it helped, but doesn't quite overcome the extremely poor accuracy of the stick. Don't get me wrong, the game is playable with it (I used it for two solid years before giving it to my son when I upgraded). However, if you desire accuracy, go with the T16000M HOTAS. It's way, way way better than the T-Flight, but it's also $130 normally priced.

The throttle item above is not a huge issue, unless you are reversing thrust all the time. If you go with the T16000M, then just set the reverse button to be a hold vs toggle (I found it far less confusing that way). Having a forward only throttle gives you way more throttle accuracy--so I'll take that over convenient reverse any day of the week.

One more callout--if you use VR, the extra buttons on the T16000M probably aren't going to be of much use, since they're on the base of the stick. I can only reliably find a couple of them with the DK2 on.

Last edited:
I went thru Two X-55 Rhinos in just under 3 years. I am now using the T.16000M FCS Flight Pack with the rudder pedals and really like it a bit better then the X-55 and feel it will last much longer. I got mine from NewEgg for 199.99 a month or so ago.

Deleted member 110222

D
Elite allows you to bind button combinations to functions so what you can do is use one or more of the buttons on your joystick as so-called "shift" keys. Generally these don't do anything when pressed by themselves but affect the behaviour of other buttons. For example, on my Thrustmaster T-Flight I have the thumbstick operating my vertical and lateral thrusters when pressed by itself, but if I hold button 6 then they operate my pips, if I hold button 7 they target next/prev ship and next/prev subsystem, if I hold button 8 they operate my various side panels and if I hold button 8 they do miscellenous things (lights, silent running, FA off and galaxy map). As you can see I'm actually using 4 "shift" buttons which gives me an enormous amount of flexibility. To map a button combination you simply go to the control bidnings screen, pick the function you want and then hold down the desired button combination.

So to clarify, using your example. Thumbstick controls.

Go into options, and for lateral thrust, just move the thumbstick. For pips, hold a button then move the thumbstick. And to choose a panel, hold a different button & move the thumbstick? Is this what you're saying?

In Elite, you can map the controller definitions not only to single buttons, but also to combinations of buttons. I use the 8 button (the one on the back of the throttle stick) as my "shift" button. Example: normally, I use the POV hat for energy management. If I press the "shift" button, the POV button switches the panels (1-4) instead. I use the flat button on top of the main stick to select the target ahead, if I press the shift button, it selects the highest threat. And so on.

So, by using a shift button, you can assign twice as many (-1) functions to the HOTAS. Even with one shift button, I can control the ship nearly completely via the T.Flight and rarely have to use the keyboard at all. You could define a second oder third one, as some setups do, but I find that confusing. The T.Flight X is a great and affordable HOTAS, bought my second one recently (after 1500 hrs of flight, and the first one still works, but is a little less precise in the stick's middle position).

Eh, ninja'd....

HTH,
[noob]

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
In Elite, you can map the controller definitions not only to single buttons, but also to combinations of buttons. I use the 8 button (the one on the back of the throttle stick) as my "shift" button. Example: normally, I use the POV hat for energy management. If I press the "shift" button, the POV button switches the panels (1-4) instead. I use the flat button on top of the main stick to select the target ahead, if I press the shift button, it selects the highest threat. And so on.

So, by using a shift button, you can assign twice as many (-1) functions to the HOTAS. Even with one shift button, I can control the ship nearly completely via the T.Flight and rarely have to use the keyboard at all. You could define a second oder third one, as some setups do, but I find that confusing. The T.Flight X is a great and affordable HOTAS, bought my second one recently (after 1500 hrs of flight, and the first one still works, but is a little less precise in the stick's middle position).

Eh, ninja'd....

HTH,
[noob]

Combinations? Now it makes sense. As much as I appreciate the effort made by everyone to help me here, that was the word I needed to hear. Okay so configuration will pretty much be the same as my gamepad.

I think the appearance of a HOTAS was intimidating me. But now someone has explained it's simply button combos, I understand.

Forgive my apparent idiocy guys. I appreciate all your help, and I now understand what you are saying.

o7

I can post my T16000M bindings later tonight. I do recommend it over the HOTAS X, which is a good stick, but has limited functionality.

The shift + combo works, but I have everything I need in combat on the HOTAS without any combo keys. I use Voice Attack for a lot of other stuff.

True about no detent on the T16000 throttle, but I use a wide deadzone and have no issues zeroing the throttle.

Honestly, if you lived closer, I'd give you my HOTAS X. It still works fine.

Yeah, this set up has 4 of the buttons set up as shift keys so depending on which button you have pressed down you primary fire can do 5 different things.

Deleted member 110222

D
Thanks for the help guys. I should stress, the reason I'd rather get a HOTAS X right now is because I have a lot of things I need to get, and this is only a want. Perhaps in a year or so I'll upgrade it to a t16000m, but for now, I'm happy with the budget option. Plus having played Elite so much on console, I'm quite adept at using button combos in this game.

Using VoiceAttack makes it so I only need thrust type controls on the throttle and weapons/targeting on the stick buttons. Anything else is a command away.

I bought the HOTAS X and have no complaints. I might upgrade to the t16000 later but for the moment, the X does the job and does it well. I use Voice attack and HCS Voice which reduces the keys needed. It's a good solid stick and throttle for the price. It's easy to set the keys to your requirements and the advice of others in the thread are the way to go.

Last edited:
I used a ThrustMaster HOTAS X for about 2 months. Decent unit for $40 and worked well enough, but I needed more functionality and buttons so I went and got a CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle set-up.

Top Bottom