Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Advanced Options (24.03.3303 - 02.04.3303)

Submission incoming (eventually). It's a terrible run full of poor SC approaches, slow drop-outs, loops of genuine shame, appalling landings and only 5% hull remaining at the end BUT ... I've managed to get a race-about-face entry in both tables and that was my personal goal. I have to say doing a race-about-face in the iCourier was harder than the Eagle and doing it 8 times in row without dying was much MUCH harder. I take my hat off to anyone attempting it in anything bigger. o7

Same. I felt it was the most appropriate commodity to have onboard a Beluga :D

Oh, and Unlimited submission incoming! Finally a time that's reasonably fast :p

I'd say a Beluga should have been full of fish...but anyway, if wine had to be, hope it was white at least :p

I'm glad you finally made a reasonably fast time. Not like that pitiful one you had before, you know, that one already on top of the leaderboard. [big grin]

Last edited:
Just under three and a half hours left, and what do we have here...

WuQnB1e.png

Old-School Cool first, and ZX Spectrum has slid the luminescent Novissimi Prime smoothly in front of Jak to sneak back into the top 10.

GNsxjmH.png

Forgoing the Sidewinder, Ashnak instead jumped into the Live Music Nightly to produce a solid run with plenty of bonuses. This wasn't quite enough to get past the Out Of Coffee Error's existing time, but it at least means a small convoy is forming to rival Edelgard von Rhein's increasingly-separated one!
Alec Turner has submitted a late entry in the Sans Serif, nudging all the Edelgards down a place with some reverse-flipping action. He's nudged down in turn by Polly though, who storms through in the wonderfully-named Non Bibere et Expellam; the first Viper Mk III on either board sneaks in just behind Bruski.

Finally, for the second time in 48 hours, Cookiehole has produced a truly ridiculous time. Despite having exactly the same unadjusted time as Aken B behind him, the Crater Creator's use of Ten Year Plan and South Blockhouse have paid off to put him over two minutes clear at the top. Madness. :eek:

Last edited:
You need a fuel scoop equipped and powered to be able to get a boost from the jet cones of a white dwarf or neutron star. I found this out because I was doing some fuel management when practising for Distant Stars and had turned my scoop off a couple of jumps before arriving at the neutron star I was using for testing and I couldn't get the boost until I turned it back on.

Huh, that makes total lore sense (in as much as any FSD stuff does) but never occured to me. I might have to double-check/update the wiki page. Many thanks!

Final Run uploading:
[video=youtube_share;pY4G9IB9Rhs]https://youtu.be/pY4G9IB9Rhs[/video]

It was my best, but not "acceptable". :p

Of course, the next and actually last one I was going 30 seconds faster, until I was interdicted right in front of Haisheng. AGAIN. I need to get some stupid prismatic shields and then curse the name of powerplay forevermore.

Helmet off to all, looking forward to a flurry of final scoreboard updates! o7

Last edited:
Sadly, it still doesn't make a full options run viable (for me at least). :(

I've just been trying to do a full-options run for about the last two hours in an Old-School spec Eagle, and... it's surprisingly not-awful. I could have had 11:17 if I hadn't nudged the edge of a slot at Swanson.
I'm going to put myself on the leaderboard in a non-scoring position, as I'd feel pretty bad deposing people at the last second in my own race (even if this evening is the first time I've actually run the whole course in well over a month). :D

Also, only now do I realise that the perfect name for Race-About-Face was actually Flipping The Bird. So I've named my ship Flipping Bird instead. :D

I'll wait til tomorrow for a provisional leaderboard, give people a bit of time to send me last-minute runs. :)

After lots of grinding at it, I decided Race-About-Face was fun, but that in the Type-6 it slowed me down by more than the two minutes' bonus it gave me. The T6 is faster to rotate than other freighters, but it's still a freighter. I don't regret the effort, though, since now I have a new trick to show off. ;)

I've just been trying to do a full-options run for about the last two hours in an Old-School spec Eagle, and... it's surprisingly not-awful. I could have had 11:17 if I hadn't nudged the edge of a slot at Swanson.

Yeah, it's not awful, there's just no way I could find in the Hauler or Cobra or iCourier for it to not take an extra jump, and 45 seconds isn't worth 15 seconds, especially when it slows you down (slightly) for the rest of the race, and eliminates the possibility of FSD Supercharging.

Does it not cause an extra jump in the Eagle?

Also, only now do I realise that the perfect name for Race-About-Face was actually Flipping The Bird. So I've named my ship Flipping Bird instead. :D
Yassssss!

I'll wait til tomorrow for a provisional leaderboard, give people a bit of time to send me last-minute runs. :)
INCOMING! (well, a little bit)

Here's my final iCourier run if anyone's interested ...

[video=youtube_share;29-d3oKTJtM]https://youtu.be/29-d3oKTJtM[/video]

Edit: huh ... just watched that back, not nearly as scrappy as I remember it. I am content. Congrat's to everyone that took part and thanks to Cmdr Alot for another awesome race!

Last edited:
I wish I'd managed to show up before the last evening. I made a few runs in The Nomad, but only one complete one - and that was messed up by an interdiction on approach to Haisheng...

That run was also hampered by me forgetting to put my weapons into a fire group, so I was only deploying chaff/firework launchers. I fixed that problem for the other runs, but didn't complete the course.

I should have had another run that was faster, but after a smooth run as far as Lukyanenko Vision, I inexplicably jumped to Noatiaca without going to Swanson first. I think that my brain cannot cope with all the fiddly deploy weapons, launch chaff, etc on approach and take-off - I got to Haisheng Orbital before I noticed my mistake! :eek:

It was great fun though. :D

I lost a few ships trying to get in a run that included Race-About-Face, but just couldn't get the hang of it in time. I'd like to blame not being 100% used to flying right-handed with the HOTAS still, but the truth is more likely that I'm just an uncoordinated old git.

I think that my brain cannot cope with all the fiddly deploy weapons, launch chaff, etc on approach and take-off - I got to Haisheng Orbital before I noticed my mistake! :eek:

It was great fun though. :D

LOL - tell me about it ... launch, retract gear, deploy hardpoints, line up slot, FA off, flip, launch chaff, flip, boost, FA on, boost boost, retract hardpoints, jump ... navigate tricky gravity wells, drop, deploy hardpoints, boost boost, request docking permission, line up, FA off, flip, chaff, flip, FA on, find pad, land ... repeat x 4. And that was without typing "hello Cmdr Alot, you're looking devious today" on every approach. And now I have all that in my muscle memory I couldn't help but do the same while ferrying my fleet back to Jameson Memorial. The Elite pilots gathered around the other landing bays must have thought the shieldless, mine toting iCourier pilot had lost his mind! :D

Top Bottom