The QoL List

jeez, some peoples requirements are beyond unreasonable, what next people... less orange???.

you people.

Too much orange in the game .....

Orange HUD
Orange Milky Way
Orange stripes on the fish ships
Orange lasers and explosions .....

So any way to change these within the game settings would be great.

Thats just my idea of mining though.

Not bad ideas, but I wonder if the player interaction would end up being even less than we have at the moment.

Which made me think of a number 20: add some skill based mechanic to the fragment chipping part of mining.

Currently, the only skill mechanics are: directing the fragment stream so that your limpets are more efficient, and how to chip fragments of wildly tumbling roids without losing all your limpets. if there were techniques that maximize the yield of metal per fragment, and others that maximized crystals, or materials. This would make mining much more interactive, immersive and fun.

Not bad ideas, but I wonder if the player interaction would end up being even less than we have at the moment.

Which made me think of a number 20: add some skill based mechanic to the fragment chipping part of mining.

Currently, the only skill mechanics are: directing the fragment stream so that your limpets are more efficient, and how to chip fragments of wildly tumbling roids without losing all your limpets. if there were techniques that maximize the yield of metal per fragment, and others that maximized crystals, or materials. This would make mining much more interactive, immersive and fun.

The flying of the bins back to the ship and loading them in the processor or cargo bay is something different and better. Depending on how well you fly it and return it back to the mining module can help determine how fast the area is mined. I envisioned on the larger modules and ships having multiple modules being deployed by that single ship. That way if you have friend, they can be flying a mining skiff and minding their module while you handle yours. Sharing the dropping off and reloading of bins into the modules and ship. Removal of the waste bins and emptying them so the module can continue with pre processing.

who knows. I never really thought about skill based stuff, but adding more stuff to do and consider was my original goal. Who knows maybe the skiff can scout the next area and you have to take into account finding better materials versus bin management and if you want to carry ore or processed materials. OO perhaps something can be done in order to process the ores in the ship. If we had space legs there would be a ton more we could do on ship.

Anyone else worried about people seeing After 2.4 there will be a QOL focus, that everyone sees QOL as any and every change they feel should be made

I would like to see deeper gameplay with trading and exploration.
For trading, the games needs more background sim features in order for players to really influence the economy. For instance, every system will have a auto managed production/supply system. if it is a refinery system, it will auto receive a certain amount of ore and convert it into certain types of metals. Now if players come in and deliver precious ore, then the station will start producing a certain amount of precious metals or merchandise which will influence surrounding systems and the market in general. I would also like to see third party-like tools in game for trading. Also there should be short lasting extra-profitable roots that would change daily but would reward adventurous traders with very high profits before they move somewhere else.

For exploration, more points of interest and the ability for some to show up in the ships scanner. Perhaps a different honk that would be unse in orbital flight and would reveal POIs from the sky. Also more natural POI's out there we can interact with.

Anyhow that's my grain of salt.

Built in Docking Computer (no module slot use) in all ships. For those who don't want to use this, just deselect power and turn it off. Silly to waste a C4 slot for a C1 DC.

No!!

The whole point of the "crutch" Docking Computer taking a slot up is that is the penalty for being lazy, they cannot remove that.

However.. this "A Mining class ship with mining class modules for mining class ship only (example - filters for the refinery)." I do like!

Last edited:
No!!

The whole point of the "crutch" Docking Computer taking a slot up is that is the penalty for being lazy, they cannot remove that.

However.. this "A Mining class ship with mining class modules for mining class ship only (example - filters for the refinery)." I do like!

Seeing as how almost all modern day Commercial passenger jets have a hands off landing system, I really wouldnt call a piece of software a crutch. Its just a standard feature.

Seeing as how almost all modern day Commercial passenger jets have a hands off landing system, I really wouldnt call a piece of software a crutch. Its just a standard feature.

*wedges tongue firmly in cheek*

You're forgetting that Elite is set a mere 1000+ years into the future. They wont have developed in flight automatic features by then. Hells teeth, it took man 66 years to go from the Wright Brothers to landing on the moon, you think in the next 1000 we'll have automatic docking that isn't an optional extra taking up huge parts of your ship? Foolish boy.

But if the DC doesn't take up a module slot, the players who like the tedium of docking every single time won't be able to feel superior to the rest of us.

(SNIP)
Ability to set spiderweb range. When in space with few stars, I can increase the spiderweb to get more options. When near Sag A* I can reduce it to save CPU time.

Just a quick note that this is already in game, more or less.

In the Gal map, you have the option to enable FSD boost, Fastest route, or economy route. When you select an option, the little carrot 'lights up.' To HIDE the spiderweb... click the carrot again so that the 'light' goes out. You will still be plotting routes in the manner chosen (economy or fastest), but the spider web of routes goes away.

Priceless near the core. Useful everywhere.

EDIT:
My revision to this request would be to allow the commander to set a range band for the spider web. For instance, whenever you gain a neutron boost or use the FSD boost, set a range band for the spiderweb within a few light years of the maximum boosted jump.
Example: gain a boost that sets your maximum jump range to 80ly... be able to set the spider web to a range band of 75-80 ly. So, only jumps that are in that range band are tagged with a line.

FWIW

Last edited:
-Let my NPC "crew" occupy the empty seats on my bridge when they aren't otherwise engaged. They don't have to do anything, just sit there and smile awkwardly.

-Customizable (it should be a word!) HUD. Not just to change colors but the entire layout. Click and drag, shrink and zoom.

-Synthesize multiple FSD boosts and be able to plot a course on the galmap that accounts for them.

-Weaker top-end shields.

-Burn telepresence to death in a circus fire

-Proportionately increase the value of doing tasks much further away from the main star (10% bonus for each 10,000LS, assumed to be negotiated before acceptance of the contract)

-Reduce payouts by 75% for everything. (except exploration)

Last edited:
I have 2 main issues, personally. First, improved avionics. Second, the HUD color scheme.

My main pet peeve is the lack of decent avionics. This is a ridiculously basic aspect of flight and really needs to be addressed. Obviously,. spaceflight is different from air flight now, but come on, this is a solved problem already in real life. Even if we ignore that for a moment, how hard can it possibly be to give us either an option to toggle the planetary landing indicator at will or at the very least make it show up whenever we're landing?!

Aside from that, as someone who suffers from Tritanomaly, I'd very much like a decent color blindness mode. I've managed to find a HUD color scheme that mostly works, but it's tricky as heck to get the different bits to stand out from one another as they're supposed to do. I don't expect them to necessarily spend the money researching color schemes that work for the major deficiency groups, of course, but there's got to be a way to allow us to edit this in game at the very least. This is, frankly, an accessibility issue.

It is important to note that not everyone with the same form of color blindness actually has exactly the same degree, either. Human sight is incredibly complex with a lot of moving parts, so to speak, and there can be multiple issues at once, such as my light sensitivity. As best I am able to tell, the one is not necessarily linked to the other directly. I'm just lucky to have both issues, I guess. :) To give an example of my hue deficiency, there's a chart in the spoiler. It isn't a perfect representation of my actual limitations, as the test is somewhat limited by display technology, but it's the best I've found online.

http://i.imgur.com/JWfmJSY.png

Interestingly, at least to me, I didn't even know about this until I was an adult. It was caught by an opthamologist some years ago after a minor head injury (the doctors were concerned that I'd reported briefly reduced peripheral vision after whacking my head at work). I also have a ridiculous level of light sensitivity. I'm able to function normally in every respect in a 5 lux room, as opposed to most "well lit" 500+ lux rooms that most folks require. That was quite handy when i was in the Army, though I had no idea why this was back then, and also when I'm camping. It's also a fun "party trick" to show folks how well I am able to drive at night without my headlights on. Obviously some caution is used here, but I can drive perfectly fine on a starlit night with no moon and no lights on whatsoever, away from any artificial light source whatsoever. It sort of freaks folks out, so I don't do it often and I for darned sure never drive at night without running lights or when there's any other traffic. It's usually something I do only on a beach or a similar restricted environment. Otherwise, it's more annoying than anything.

A funny anecdote is I once got pulled over for driving without headlights on. The officer had a difficult time understanding how I could be sober and yet not realize I had no headlights on. I'd been idling in a parking lot pointing at a building while eating a sandwich and turned the headlights off then forgot to turn them back on. He ended up having me kill all the lights either out of curiosity, or as I suspect, more to "call me on my bull" and tell him how many fingers he was holding up in what, to him, was nearly pitch black. I ended up with only a warning after he got bored. Heh, fun times though! He thought, at first, I'd been drinking and was about to arrest me for a blood test after I passed the breathalyzer without any trouble at all. (I never drive after any drinking whatsoever ... personal policy.)

Anyhow, if the devs gave us a way to tinker in-game with the coloration of various important HUD elements such as hostile targets, the "blue" zone on the throttle, etc, it would help a heck of a lot. I'm certain those who deal with the more common forms of color deficiency would agree.

Edit: Why is there always at least one typo only caught as I hit Save?! Ugh.

Last edited:
My currently most desired QOL improvement would be increased material storage as has probably been mentioned a dozen times. Increasing the limit to 2000, defining new limits per mat or external storage, anything that doesn't make me throw away stored materials over and over is fine by me.

Another thing I really would like is access to the bookmarked systems of the galaxy map from the navigation panel. Just a simple popup list would be fine. Loading the galaxy map every time to 'quickly' select a bookmarked target takes way to much time.

Then when accessing a bookmark to plot a route in the galaxy map the order of options should be changed, plot route should be the top option and delete bookmark the last option (obviously).

The ability to select an audio input (mic) in the option menu would be great for people with several mics/headsets.

These are all little things that should be easy to implement.

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
Probably already been mentioned but can we get an option to have the old dark sides back? Feels like its catering to 12 year olds and really does absolutely nothing to make it believable...it actually looks false.

Same with the biegification which we were already told was an unintentional change...its vexing and makes the milky way that bit more shallow.

Not gonna ready through whats already been written so no doubt those two points have already been mentioned...just literally adding my two pennies to the wishing well ^

Regarding NPC crew and SLFs:
  • Keyboard shortcut for Attack Target
  • Keyboard shortcut for Defend / Hold Position
  • More phrases ("That's got to hurt", "Strike one bad guy" become a bit annoying when you've heard that for the nth time).
  • More useful phrases - "Running low on ammo/chaff, Cmdr" would be quite helpful...

Top Bottom