Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Double Action Jackson (01.07.3303 - 09.07.3303)

I suppose I could enter as CMDR Crystal Starblade, but that would mean entering an unengineered ship (Crystal's account has Horizons, but I have not unlocked any engineers for her).

Given that Crystal hisorically prefers to enter full-combat-rigged Eagles in Buckyball events...

Oh, what the hell, it should be funny if nothing else, and I just got through creating her holo-me last night.

Let's see... BBR5 was Thrillseeker Ii, BBR7 was III, Old World Hustle was IV, so...

Intent to race!
CMDR Crystal Starblade
BRC-00 Thrillseeker V
Eagle
Open Unlimited

I should ask, though... is there a minimum jump range requirement for this course?

Rankaze, you always impress me with your commitment to combat, but this might be a new level of crazy.

I just put the Open Unlimited event into EDTS, and it claims you can find a route for all legs with 11.5 ly range. If you can't manage that, I can't help you, and may witchspace have mercy on your soul, because it's 257 (-18 for neutron boosting) jumps, and the course is designed to be 12-14 (assuming no double charging). o7

Rankaze, you always impress me with your commitment to combat, but this might be a new level of crazy.

I just put the Open Unlimited event into EDTS, and it claims you can find a route for all legs with 11.5 ly range. If you can't manage that, I can't help you, and may witchspace have mercy on your soul, because it's 257 (-18 for neutron boosting) jumps, and the course is designed to be 12-14 (assuming no double charging). o7

Oh, it's not quite that bad. I can get at least 18 ly in a combat build. I'm too much of a speed demon and I like agile ships, so my combat builds are a little lightweight compared to most folks' (thankfully, in this case!).

The hardest part, actually is powering all of it with only a size 2 powerplant to work with! I'm going to have to go with the More Dakka build (3x fixed multicannon), I think... because even pulses are seriously straining the power here.

Besides, I might finish last on the leaderboard, but nobody is going to look more like a racer than this!

S6e7CKu.jpg

My favorite paint job in the game, right there. The only thing wrong with the Imperial Eagle is it can't have that paintjob... so for that reason alone I have to fly an old-school Eagle from time to time.

Still, I might see if I can unlock at least G1 with Farseer or Martuuk so I can bump that 18ly up a bit.

Honestly, the true insanity of this is that a real combat build requires a Class 3 shield generator, so that means I'm running a 3A frame shift drive... and a 2A fuel scoop.

Last edited:
Sad to say, fellow Buckyballers, I may have to sit this one out. I'm in a race of my own this weekend - trying to reformat and get everything back up as quick as I can :D

Yeah, it's been 3 years since the last format, it's about time to do it now.

In my opinion it's the corvette but I admit I've not been in it lately. I have all three though.
This has proved to be excellent advice. [up]
I'm very happy with the handling of the Federal Corvette in both supercruise and normal space, even without engineering. It reminds me strongly of my Python, so I'm confident I'll be happy exploring with it. I even like the view from the flight deck and the engine sounds. So now for its first challenge:
Intent to race:
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
Pierre Aronnax (Federal Corvette)
Open Unlimited

This has proved to be excellent advice. [up]
I'm very happy with the handling of the Federal Corvette in both supercruise and normal space, even without engineering. It reminds me strongly of my Python, so I'm confident I'll be happy exploring with it. I even like the view from the flight deck and the engine sounds. So now for its first challenge:
Intent to race:
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
Pierre Aronnax (Federal Corvette)
Open Unlimited

Stop me if I'm wrong but is this our first EVER Federal Corvette in a Buckyball race?

I finally read the OP properly ...

a) cheers for including the Lavecon vid!
b) I've got a huge ED todo list atm but I really want to try this now
c) stacking double jumps? can someone illuminate me re: this technique

Sweet poster!

Run time under 20 minutes*

*unless you are completely out of your mind and racing a full combat spec Eagle :p*

There are special times for special people. :D

Also we have the pre-race staging area filling up with pilots!

bCIAHsI.png

Quite a selection in the Open Unlimited class as well, a couple Asp Explorers already in the docks, being fitted with long-range FSDs, always a favorite in distance races. But then CMDR Edelgard von Rhein showed up in the enormous Federal Corvette Pierre Aronnax, a type not see in Buckyball for many a month, which required special berthing at Hammond Gateway. Thankfully the Federation Democrats of HIP 27980 have a few Corvettes of their own, and were happy to move one into orbit in return for a sizeable docking fee.
On the other side of the spectrum, I suspect CMDR Crystal Starblade's standard Eagle Thrillseeker V just found a small nook between two buildings, and is avoiding any notice or fees. Watch out though folks, she may appear unassuming, but she's got character and heart!

The course opens in 3 hours, just enough time to crawl the local pub scene of Hammond Gateway and find something to steady your nerves in those emission beams!* Fly fly CMDRs!

Buckyball Racing Club has no official policy on encouraging drunken racing.

I finally read the OP properly ...

a) cheers for including the Lavecon vid!
b) I've got a huge ED todo list atm but I really want to try this now
c) stacking double jumps? can someone illuminate me re: this technique

Thanks! I hope to make a basic video of running the hauler course tomorrow, but the tips in the Lavecon video are great.

I added the double jump video to the bottom of the "Tips and Tricks" section of the OP.

Well... Beth Johanson certainly started out this race with a bang!

Cmdr. Bruski, I hope you survived the experience. ;)

[video=youtube_share;EpnfxqoecSQ]https://youtu.be/EpnfxqoecSQ[/video]

skip to 00:40 for the epic fail

(one of these days, I really need to figure out how to edit these videos)

Well... Beth Johanson certainly started out this race with a bang!

Cmdr. Bruski, I hope you survived the experience. ;)

https://youtu.be/EpnfxqoecSQ

skip to 00:40 for the epic fail

(one of these days, I really need to figure out how to edit these videos)

Reckless flying
YGSHJ2V.jpg
Check

Crashes and explosions
cA6H4vz.jpg
Check

Rebuy screen
w4esT9D.jpg
Check.

Looks like you're doing it right! So sorry I was afk and missed it. :D (although oddly, I did hear some strange explosions above when outfitting)

Well, after a couple of Grade 1 mods from Elvira Martuuk, Thrillseeker V is up to 20.98 ly in jump range (I got about as good a G1 FSD roll as you could possibly get, and a G1 Enhanced Low Power Shields helps a bit, too).

I won't have time for a run tonight, and certainly won't tomorrow (this minor matter of the A* Challenge, after all), but I'm all set for putting up a hilariously bad time sometime soon thereafter! :p

Last edited:
Sadly will be unable to join this one. On my phone now until the 14th of July assuming BT manage to get my internet working first time... 15 days just to flip the ON switch..

Good luck everyone :S

Quick query: you say 11 screenshots are needed for Open Unlimited: 9 of these are on the landing pad or in-system; 1 is the module damage at the end (potentially two for some people); what is the 11th? Outfitting or the right hand panel showing (no) module damage at the start?

Quick query: you say 11 screenshots are needed for Open Unlimited: 9 of these are on the landing pad or in-system; 1 is the module damage at the end (potentially two for some people); what is the 11th? Outfitting or the right hand panel showing (no) module damage at the start?

Good catch! I counted wrong, Open Unlimited screenshots now recounted and detailed.

Ah, crap! I missed that we need a before and after view of our module damage. :(

Well, it's not like there wasn't plenty of room for improvement on my first completed run. ;)

Ah, crap! I missed that we need a before and after view of our module damage. :(

Well, it's not like there wasn't plenty of room for improvement on my first completed run. ;)

Not before, just after. Honestly more of a flavor thing (though I will be keeping track of statistics), and unnecessary for scoring, so submit away!

I also assumed people would repair to full before the race, although for the sake of science I'll stipulate that. :p

Top Bottom