Hardware & Technical Solid HOTAS Desk Mount... for $65 :)

Hello! It seems everyone has their own unique HOTAS setup :D I've had a chance to try my new desk mount for a couple of days now and love it. Its flexible, highly adjustable, solid in use, and the best part is its very affordable. I'm sharing it because it does an awesome job at an equally awesome price! I used a laptop desk stand mounted upside down as the base and 15lb rated Velcro for the attachment:

mvvDEq.jpg

pcQ0uy.jpg

KPMi5s.jpg

This is the laptop stand I used, but any similar will work well.
WAFtOB.jpg

I shortened the arm by removing the first section and attached the throttle and stick to the mounting plate for the laptop tray. I think this would work for our 'Couch Commanders' if you used it with a couple of IKEA laptop stands but haven't tried it myself.

Happy hunting!

Unfortunately, that specific brand/model of laptop stand doesn't ship to my country. There are a number of others that do though :)

Thanks for the idea, repped!

OP - if it's not too much trouble, can you show pics of how you used the Velcro to attach the controllers to the laptop base?

Great setup OP! Very crafty. ;) It's really a joy to have the HOTAS in an ergonomic and fixed position.

Is that the actual positioning how you use the HOTAS or the "parking" configuration? The stick and throttle seem to be very far apart for comfortable use on the foto, considering there's a full sized keyboard and mouse between them.

Makes me impatient to finally get on with building my own HOTAS mount.

Great setup OP! Very crafty. ;) It's really a joy to have the HOTAS in an ergonomic and fixed position.

Is that the actual positioning how you use the HOTAS or the "parking" configuration? The stick and throttle seem to be very far apart for comfortable use on the foto, considering there's a full sized keyboard and mouse between them.

Makes me impatient to finally get on with building my own HOTAS mount.

Thanks! That's the 'parking' config :) Once I sit down I pull them closer to my side. The arms are stiff enough to allow movement when I get up so I can clear the desk easily but stay solid while in game. I like as close to a 90 degree bend for my arms and relaxed shoulders so I don't have arms on my chair. That's why they may appear to sit low to some people.

OP - if it's not too much trouble, can you show pics of how you used the Velcro to attach the controllers to the laptop base?

Here you go! The Velcro I used is rated for outfood use on rough surfaces. Cost about $3.50 US for 5 strips and I just cut them down as needed. Solid grip.

dateposted-public

Here you go! The Velcro I used is rated for outfood use on rough surfaces. Cost about $3.50 US for 5 strips and I just cut them down as needed. Solid grip.

dateposted-public

Sorry, had some linking problems with the image. If you right click the broken link and open it you'll get taken to the pic. The Velcro is distributed like the Purina symbol :)

Sorry, had some linking problems with the image. If you right click the broken link and open it you'll get taken to the pic. The Velcro is distributed like the Purina symbol :)

Still no pics.

But, nevermind, scratch the idea. The costs + shipping to my country is prohibitively expensive. Will cost me almost 240 bucks in my currency for 2 of those mounts + shipping (about USD 165 plus shipping)

Still it's a good idea though. Too bad I can't afford it :(

Ouch! Sorry to hear it. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

Ah, I'm in Singapore. I could get mounts similar to those locally too, $95 each... which would be about $190 total. Still rather pricey methinks...

Oh yes, thanks for the velcro pics. I can see them now :)

ps: Just had a look at dual-monitor mountings... seems that maybe I could use this ...

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor...1500001770&sr=8-3&keywords=dual+monitor+mount

...although the joke here is that the shipping costs more than the item itself.... but still the total costs plus shipping would be SGD 94 compared to 240 for the previous case....so.... much cheaper!

Last edited:
Those are 29" between the center of each mount when fully extended. How far apart are your stick and throttle now? I'm concerned they might not be stiff enough when pushing/pulling perpendicular to the pivot point, even with the bolts fully tightened down. I'm pushing and pulling in line with the arm so there isn't any significant force acting to swing the arm outward.

Those are 29" between the center of each mount when fully extended. How far apart are your stick and throttle now? I'm concerned they might not be stiff enough when pushing/pulling perpendicular to the pivot point, even with the bolts fully tightened down. I'm pushing and pulling in line with the arm so there isn't any significant force acting to swing the arm outward.

Nah, not getting that one. On further consideration, the vertical bar would be kinda "in the way" directly in front of me. May or may not be blocking part of the monitor (the bottom part of the clamp). Further, the rest of the bar is right between the crown jewels..... so maybe I'll give it a miss :)

I'm searching for alternatives though. Your mounting idea was the spark that gave me some other ideas. I may look for something to affix to my chair armrest instead.

Or I can make sort of "sliding drawer" to fit under the desk (when not in use), and having rails that "lock" when extended. I notice that there are 4 grooves under the base of both the Throttle and the Stick (X52 Pro) so that means there's an accessory out there that someone makes, that fit into those grooves to "lock" it in place... I just gotta find that accessory.

I've seen people use these for mounting directly to the arms of their chair, assuming you have the right kind:

P0uMN4s.jpg

I don't know this guy (found it on the Net) but here is an example in action:

U4yXdGPl.jpg

I've seen people use these for mounting directly to the arms of their chair, assuming you have the right kind:
http://i.imgur.com/P0uMN4s.jpg

Yeah thanks, but not gonna buy anything like these from Amazon.. the shipping costs more than the product itself. Gotta find something that's available locally here .... maybe I'll go talk to a couple of furniture shops that make customised furniture and see if they'll make something for me :)

You know what would be good for chair mounting.
A bluetooth HOTAS.

Yeah thanks, but not gonna buy anything like these from Amazon.. the shipping costs more than the product itself. Gotta find something that's available locally here .... maybe I'll go talk to a couple of furniture shops that make customised furniture and see if they'll make something for me :)

Just google the Amazon description and it will bring up other suppliers.

Funny enough when you click on the link for that mouse shelf, the first review has pictures of the Thrustmaster HOTAS mounted on it. Fits really nicely. Wonder how it fits the throttle.

Just google the Amazon description and it will bring up other suppliers.

Yup and still shipping costs are more than the item itself. :D

Thanks, but still Amazon, and shipping costs more than the item. In particular though, this specific one doesn't even ship to Singapore, so I have to make extra arrangements and possibly incurring more costs....

Anyway thanks guys, you've given me plenty of ideas to explore. I will most likely look for a local solution, most likely a custom-made mount from a local furniture shop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom