Empire not intended to be the galactic "bad guys?"

I'm not sure that I'd agree with pirates being the most evil. They are just 'honest' villains who want to rob you, whereas some of the faction lackeys would try to kill you just to destabilise security in a rival faction all the while talking about law and order.

I never venture that far south. The space around the Empire for some reason just gives me a bad feeling in my bones.

I don't know what some of you CMDRs are smoking - some of you must've been around that OnionHead far too much.

Clearly, The Federation are the good guys - I'm talking of Felatio Winters here - not that other silly splinter-faction: He's a loon, and his *version* of The Federation is a clear perversion and subversion of steadfast virtuous ethical Federation Values.

Clearly, the Empire are not the good guys. I'm not saying they're all bad, per se, just that they're a little bit too up themselves to see that they're peddling a false version of the truly good.

The Alliance - now here's a thing. No-one really knows what to make of them as an "institution"? Personally, I don't think there are many common values amongst Alliance systems, organisations or factions and the only thing that unites them is a common/common "enemy". They neither want to be part of The Federation nor The Empire. And this defines them more than anything else or any other common world view. Which is cool, but just means there's a very disparate mix within The Alliance. As such they can't be pigeon-holed and consequently should be treated with respectful caution.

Out of the big labels, it is the Alliance that could easily surprise and betray your trust. Imperials cannot betray me, because I know what to expect of them beforehand and I trust them to behave in a certain selfish and egotistical self-centred manner. That fake Federation faction has already betrayed me by turning from the path of True Federation Virtue. No surprises either way.

Pirates? Sure, they are *genuinely* bad. They want to steal your stuff for profit. Nothing more. Nothing less. Despite the full knowledge and absolute acknowledgement that theft is "bad". They're still on board with piracy and fully committed to its badness.

Thargoids. At this time there is no way to tell whether Thargoids are either good or bad. I suspect that there'll be good and bad amongst them.

Thargoid Good = Thargoid Federation; Thargoid Bad = Thargoid Empire. Only stands to reason.

Yours Aye

CMDR Hollywood

/char

I'll echo the things some have said about Star Trek and Star Wars and correct others about their misconceptions.

Someone implied that Star Trek contained racism. Well, The Star Trek Federation created by Gene Rodenberry was exactly the opposite of racism. He gave us a bridge crew of officers American, Russian and Chinese, and what is more a woman on the bridge who also happened to be of black race. Rodenberry wished to go further, but was constrained. First inter-racial kiss ever broadcast? Yup - Federation.
Later series strayed away from the strict Rodenberry model and dispensed with story-lines that *always* contained a moral or ethical lesson.
On those terms, The Federation of Star Trek was created as good; moral; ethical.

On the other hand, we have the Star Wars Empire. Deliberate destroyer of planets just to get the point across that they will subjugate/vanquish you and your society or you and your entire society's existence will be obliterated. Good? Hardly.

Of course I know that these faction titles in the E: D galaxy are partly coincidental, but IMHO the parallels can still be inferred from the faction behaviours, even knowing that the Empire is actually an intentional future reflection of the Roman Empire.

Yours Aye

Mark H

The Alliance - now here's a thing. No-one really knows what to make of them as an "institution"? Personally, I don't think there are many common values amongst Alliance systems, organisations or factions and the only thing that unites them is a common/common "enemy". They neither want to be part of The Federation nor The Empire. And this defines them more than anything else or any other common world view. Which is cool, but just means there's a very disparate mix within The Alliance. As such they can't be pigeon-holed and consequently should be treated with respectful caution.

I believe the term you are looking for is "common defense" which is the original basis for the Alliance. Yes the Alliance is a broad family prone to bickering (both in lore and out :) ) but therein lies one of its strengths. We may bicker with one another but the core principle that we have each others backs never falters.

Strange how we have the sexiest looking ships and, oh, it is me or are the thargoids only attacking federation ships?..... lol

That's probably cause they don't perceive the Empire as strong enough to pose a significant threat. :p

This is not Star Wars! How many times do I need to say this! :D

Ironically if it was the closest thing to a Death Star style superlaser is an experimental Federation weapon called "Starburst"

Quite capable of laying waste to a fleet formation or a planet/moon too. Surprisingly it's only known uses were in support of an independent anti-Thargoid group, and then by an Alliance-led operation aimed at destroying the former.

Last edited:
All this business about 3 super powers when we know there is only one. Us. Inara. We pull all the strings. We set the agendas. We define the outcomes. Feds, Alliance, Imperials are our slaves. If the goids take them out, we know we'll have pre-terraformed worlds for us to go to.

Doesn't the word Emperor derive from Imperator, as someone who won major battles and conquered territories?

The only thing I know from the history of the ED Empire is what I've seen from ObsidianAnt, but I don't think it qualifies as a legit Empire.

I posted this question in the thread about DB's Rolling Stone interview but deleted it as to not derail it. And geesh. Title should be "Empire not intended to be the galactic "bad guys?"

As I said there I guess my "surprise and take away" from the interview was all the Empire talk.
As a Federation guy I always thought and assumed that the Empire in ED was intended to be the galaxy's "bad guys" (and some of my least favorite Cmdr's here embrace it so that doesn't help) but after reading the interview my impression now was that it was not intended or the game plan and that ED's Empire is supposed to be a clone of the Roman Republic/Empire to give the game more flavor and nuance?

Or am I reading too much into the interview?

There is no good or bad power in this game as I see it. Federation is democratic but corrupt, Empire is fatuous but has some pride and power for change, Mahon has double-standards and seems to envision true neutrality, Li-Yong Rui is greedy capitalist and he gives discounts to everyone, Antal is a brainwashing cult-leader and a visionary in some regards, Archon is a criminal and a mover and shanker and also gives shelter to rebels, Yuri Grom is a deserter and despot with an emergent game-play history...

Let's see what can we say about the Pilots Federation, what was it about Salome? All the power-politics are just a farce to keep the galacitc population enteratained. Behind the curtains Thargoids already rule...

Last edited:
That's probably cause they don't perceive the Empire as strong enough to pose a significant threat. :p

You underestimate Imperial 'soft' power.

The Empire I bask in, is wise. Why pursue conflict when you can have peace?

The Empire signed a treaty of non-aggression with the Insect Overlords. You don't see Thargoids attacking Imperial ships. Why do you think that is? :p

Hudson could have signed a similar treaty and saved the lives of Federation troops under his command, but nnooooo, instead he told the Thargoids to bring it! The result of that foolish policy exists in various USSs, featuring distress calls from disabled Federation vessels. [haha]

Anyway as a fan of Roman history perhaps I'll take a closer look to mix things up in my play. Now only if Denton Patreus didn't look like a pimp in his game pic I'd be all set.

Maybe. We will see!
You guys have cookies?
:)

Watch yourself, friend.

For me, it is pretty cut and dry:

The Federation was initially formed to STOP genocide and a mass extinction event being carried out by early human settlers.

The Empires first act upon formation was to engage in genocide and instigate the extinction of a Semi-sentient species.

The Empire signed a treaty of non-aggression with the Insect Overlords. You don't see Thargoids attacking Imperial ships. Why do you think that is? :p

Hudson could have signed a similar treaty and saved the lives of Federation troops under his command, but nnooooo, instead he told the Thargoids to bring it! The result of that foolish policy exists in various USSs, featuring distress calls from disabled Federation vessels. [haha]

So let's assume the Thargoids will defeat and conquer the Federation, and then the independent powers and Alliance after that.

What makes you think they'll just stop there? To them you're just another faction of sol.. ehh humans.

Instead of facing 7 different powers, all with different agendas, you're now facing the same enemy on all sides.
There's a word for that. Surrounded!

Nice try but that's certainly not the case in the lore :p

If someone has such a treaty it's the alliance.

Imo, the fed ships get attacked because the Federation has a larger presence in the Pleiades and is ahead on Thargoid research. I recall reading something about the attacked Farragut transporting research data from Palin. :)

That's obvious. It's because they run with their tails between their legs at basking speed. Why else are all their ships designed for speed. ;)

I wish I could rep you more than once xD

Top Bottom