After a year's trekking and an epic rescue I finally made it to Beagle Point in my Sidewinder!

aB4fc7C.jpg
A little over a year ago I left the EXO home system of Wolf 1301 and began a new adventure. I have always loved proving that little ships can do great things and back in November 3301 I took the Spirit of Navia all the way to Sagittarius A* and back. After a few months the urge to head back out became irresistible and there was only one place I could go that would top Sag A* - Beagle Point. Just for extra fun I decided to take the scenic route and not only go to Beagle but make it just one stop on an epic circumnavigation of our beautiful galaxy. I did some basic engineering, shedding some weight and lowering heat generation and managed to get my jump range up to just over 30ly, stocked up on some vanadium and germanium, and headed out.

For the most part the trip went really well though I soon learned not to land on planets without shields as I lost a fair few hull % points all for some selfies! What I didn't realise was that I sabotaged the trip early on. The first major obstacle I faced was the Formidine Rift and in attempting to cross it I managed to get myself lost (previously visited systems was not a thing at this point) and had to use my precious boosts to get out of trouble. I also ended up refilling my AMFU after several encounters with binary systems a few mishaps with heat! Without really realising I managed to use up my precious vanadium and was not able to cross the Abyss. I was within 5k ly of Beagle but could not get across but undeterred I sought a way round, finding a crossing some 10,000ly further round the galaxy. The journey was on again! Route plotting was slow and paths were winding out here but I was closing in slowly but surely until I was in spitting distance; but at 200ly away I stopped and could go no further. There was a gap of 33ly that I could boost over but I wouldn't be coming back. I sat and stared at the galaxy map for many minutes searching fruitlessly for some way around but finally admitted defeat. Without mining lasers or an SRV I had no way of obtaining the necessary materials and I cursed my stupidity. I was totally gutted.

I logged onto Discord and opened the EXO server to tell my comrades that I'd failed. Then somewhere in the back of my head an old story popped up.... I recalled that another CMDR had been stranded out here and someone had flown out to save him. Hope flickered. I searched the forums and found CMDR Macedonica's epic story and posted it to my EXO friends, not really expecting anyone to volunteer to do something so stupid. By this time it was 1am and I headed off to bed. Next morning I got a ping and realised my friends had been discussing how to help me. First CMDR Esquisite had volunteered to fly from the bubble but CMDR AVeryAverageGuy had his anaconda already out in Colonia. Within a day he was with me and the search for metallic rings began. A quick look on eddb showed us a system with metallic asteroids and ironically enough it was Vonrictofen's Rescue. Average began his mining and we settled in to pray to RNGsus as I needed two drops of vanadium to get to Beagle and back. The date was the 7th of August and after going round the 'roids (colliding with one and losing another 20% hull!) and trying some planetary rings nearly every day we had only had one drop. I have to say I was getting despondent; everything else had dropped and I had enough germanium to sink a battleship! And then yesterday evening it finally happened. Someone in our Discord server suggested a sacrifice to RNGsus and our Navy Squadron Leader CMDR Stormy Stephen was duly kicked from the server (not by me!) and instantly the vanadium dropped. Together, AVeryAverageGuy and I made the last few jumps and I finally made it to Beagle Point.
I cannot express enough my gratitude to Average for coming to my aid. He's a bloody hero.

XccMvbA.jpg

l2IF2Eu.jpg

Last edited:
I'll eat my hat if that OP won't become a hell of a rep farming machine - well deserved may I add!

I sincerely hope that your trip back will be without further Problems and you will reach home safe and sound (with an emphasis on the latter).

https://i.imgur.com/aB4fc7C.jpgA little over a year ago I left the EXO home system of Wolf 1301 and began a new adventure. I have always loved proving that little ships can do great things and back in November 3301 I took the Spirit of Navia all the way to Sagittarius A* and back. After a few months the urge to head back out became irresistible and there was only one place I could go that would top Sag A* - Beagle Point. Just for extra fun I decided to take the scenic route and not only go to Beagle but make it just one stop on an epic circumnavigation of our beautiful galaxy. I did some basic engineering, shedding some weight and lowering heat generation and managed to get my jump range up to just over 30ly, stocked up on some vanadium and germanium, and headed out.

For the most part the trip went really well though I soon learned not to land on planets without shields as I lost a fair few hull % points all for some selfies! What I didn't realise was that I sabotaged the trip early on. The first major obstacle I faced was the Formidine Rift and in attempting to cross it I managed to get myself lost (previously visited systems was not a thing at this point) and had to use my precious boosts to get out of trouble. I also ended up refilling my AMFU after several encounters with binary systems a few mishaps with heat! Without really realising I managed to use up my precious vanadium and was not able to cross the Abyss. I was within 5k ly of Beagle but could not get across but undeterred I sought a way round, finding a crossing some 10,000ly further round the galaxy. The journey was on again! Route plotting was slow and paths were winding out here but I was closing in slowly but surely until I was in spitting distance; but at 200ly away I stopped and could go no further. There was a gap of 33ly that I could boost over but I wouldn't be coming back. I sat and stared at the galaxy map for many minutes searching fruitlessly for some way around but finally admitted defeat. Without mining lasers or an SRV I had no way of obtaining the necessary materials and I cursed my stupidity. I was totally gutted.

I logged onto Discord and opened the EXO server to tell my comrades that I'd failed. Then somewhere in the back of my head an old story popped up.... I recalled that another CMDR had been stranded out here and someone had flown out to save him. Hope flickered. I searched the forums and found CMDR Macedonica's epic story and posted it to my EXO friends, not really expecting anyone to volunteer to do something so stupid. By this time it was 1am and I headed off to bed. Next morning I got a ping and realised my friends had been discussing how to help me. First CMDR Esquisite had volunteered to fly from the bubble but CMDR AVeryAverageGuy had his anaconda already out in Colonia. Within a day he was with me and the search for metallic rings began. A quick look on eddb showed us a system with metallic asteroids and ironically enough it was Vonrictofen's Rescue. Average began his mining and we settled in to pray to RNGsus as I needed two drops of vanadium to get to Beagle and back. The date was the 7th of August and after going round the 'roids (colliding with one and losing another 20% hull!) and trying some planetary rings nearly every day we had only had one drop. I have to say I was getting despondent; everything else had dropped and I had enough germanium to sink a battleship! And then yesterday evening it finally happened. Someone in our Discord server suggested a sacrifice to RNGsus and our Navy Squadron Leader CMDR Stormy Stephen was duly kicked from the server (not by me!) and instantly the vanadium dropped. Together, AVeryAverageGuy and I made the last few jumps and I finally made it to Beagle Point.
I cannot express enough my gratitude to Average for coming to my aid. He's a bloody hero.

https://i.imgur.com/XccMvbA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/l2IF2Eu.jpg

Great trip - in a Sidewinder! - and the fact that Vonrictofen's Rescue figures again is icing on the cake. :)

Last edited:
Well done!
Now you just have to wait for 2.4 to drop, and have one of those guys come back out with some repair limpets. ;)

... I did some basic engineering, shedding some weight and lowering heat generation and managed to get my jump range up to just over 30ly ....

What a fantastic achievement - congratulations!
I'd be interested to see your loadout and engineering results.
Would you be able to post them via Coriolis?

Top Bottom