First discover is "Validation"

I started playing again recently and stepped out for another exploration run. When I arrived at a bookmark given by a friend, I noticed the first discoverer was listed as "Validation". That wasn't the commander's name I was expecting. After departing and heading toward Sag A, I have found perhaps 1-2 more systems with Validation as the first discoverer. I posed a question about this on the Q&A thread on r/elitedangerous and the response was "CMDR Validating are CMDRs who did first discoveries on XBox." I haven't been able to find anything on it while doing forum searches here. Is there an issue with Xbox commanders not getting credit for first discoveries?

I've been absent from the game since February or so and haven't kept up with any updates or issues with ED. I also checked some of my previous first discovery bookmarks and my name popped up appropriately. Thanks for any input on this topic, I love exploring and my motivation is that some other commander will see my name plastered all over the cool stuff out there.

Nope. There is/was a CMDR Validating who scanned a lot of systems. I'm on PC an find their systems every once and a while. You'll get first discoveries when you return to starport and turn in your data for untagged systems.

Hope that helps. Fly safe CMDR o7.

I started wondering if there was a CMDR Validating after I posted this, which would be an interesting coincidence. I appreciate the feedback on it.

Gtg on the process for untagged systems.

o7

We're still not entirely clear on this issue. "Cmdr Validating" certainly seems to turn up far more often than one would expect if it were merely a random Cmdr's name. And there are cases such as yours, where the name of the Cmdr who first discovered something is definitely known, and it isn't "Validating".

It does seem to have something to do with some (but not all) cross-platform discoveries. However, I've never known the issue to go away or clear itself up over time - in other words, I've never seen a "Validating" tag, gone away, come back a few weeks or months later and found the tag was changed. For me, it's always been still "Validating".

It has been noted, in the Homage to Cmdr Validating thread, that the 2.4 beta patch notes has this for a dot point: "Fix some occurrences of Cmdr Validating when displaying xbox commander names". So we may well soon see the extirpation (or at least reduction) of this particular bug.

For clarification, both the commander in question and I play on Xbox.

The issue for me would be to not get credit for first discovery. That's my drive for exploration, so that in 5-6 years from now someone playing this game will stumble across all the cool stuff I've tagged and say "that damn weakspleen again...".

I started playing again recently and stepped out for another exploration run. When I arrived at a bookmark given by a friend, I noticed the first discoverer was listed as "Validation". That wasn't the commander's name I was expecting. After departing and heading toward Sag A, I have found perhaps 1-2 more systems with Validation as the first discoverer. I posed a question about this on the Q&A thread on r/elitedangerous and the response was "CMDR Validating are CMDRs who did first discoveries on XBox." I haven't been able to find anything on it while doing forum searches here. Is there an issue with Xbox commanders not getting credit for first discoveries?

I've been absent from the game since February or so and haven't kept up with any updates or issues with ED. I also checked some of my previous first discovery bookmarks and my name popped up appropriately. Thanks for any input on this topic, I love exploring and my motivation is that some other commander will see my name plastered all over the cool stuff out there.

The name Validating is for Xbox commanders who first discovered systems but for some reason there was a problem and the database is not displaying the names correctly. I believe there was a note in the 2.4 beta patch notes that this has been fixed, so expect to see the correct commander names after 2.4 goes live.

The name Validating is for Xbox commanders who first discovered systems but for some reason there was a problem and the database is not displaying the names correctly. I believe there was a note in the 2.4 beta patch notes that this has been fixed, so expect to see the correct commander names after 2.4 goes live.

Oh - this explains so much as Cmdr Validating always seemed to be just one step ahead of me wherever I go ... :rolleyes:
+1 VRep Commander

This is interesting I have come across the Validating discovered-by tag a good few times and in very different areas - I actually suspected it might have been a dev "validating" things working but this thread explanation is more convincing.

I hope the XBone peeps get their tags sorted, it must be annoying for them.

Thanks for the clarification. I have been all over the galaxy and saw this tag and thought, "man, this guy really gets around!"

CMDR Validating is truly a hard core explorer :)

Yeah, until I heard about what was actually causing this, I thought CMDR Validating was a single person, but couldn't see how this person could possibly have chosen all of the same circuitous paths I took. Every time I flew out to a nebula, I randomized the approach angle, arcing wide above and below the plane, shooting past or backtracking, etc, and I'd still find "CMDR Validating" somewhere along the way, often out in the middle of nowhere. It was getting infuriating. So I'm glad that it's a display issue, and not some superhuman explorer who cycled through every conceivable path of travel. :)

Last edited:
I'm at the edge, staying at the edge, using only jumponium. That's the name I see in every system.

When I was at the edge, staying at the edge but a slightly less edgy edge because I had no engineers or jumponium (so at least several hundred ly further in most of the time) it was much the same...

If U scan a new planet, and so does another Cmdr, who ever docks at station first and submits data will claim the tag.

Let me just out it this way, if Validating IS an actual player, then he has WAY too much free time on his hands. lol. I've seen his name come up from one end of the galaxy to the other.

Last edited:
This was never fixed. I'm on ps4 and VALIDATING shows up on most systems I go through, So if this is not a real commander. Please fix the dam sync issues on xbox or cross play.

It was "fixed", at least twice now. It just keeps coming back again. It's like a virus you don't become immune to, the game keeps "catching" it.

Lots of things get mentioned in the patch notes without actually being fixed. I take it all with a grain of salt now.

Top Bottom