A question for the Developers about the galaxy

It seems to me that the galaxy as represented in-game is very stable. From what I can tell no one has posted evidence of stars going nova, or moons violating the Roche Limit and breaking up. Do these events exist and just haven't been observed, or is it indeed a stable galaxy? Thanks.

It seems to me that the galaxy as represented in-game is very stable. From what I can tell no one has posted evidence of stars going nova, or moons violating the Roche Limit and breaking up. Do these events exist and just haven't been observed, or is it indeed a stable galaxy? Thanks.

Its static and devoid of any such phenomena, which is pretty lame

Last edited:
I think if stuff like this was incorporated, we'd know about it. It would definitely be super cool if they did add them. What I also don't know though is, how often does a super nova actually occur in our galaxy? From my super brief google research, the last one we know of in our galaxy was 140 years ago, and we know about because of it's remains. before that there was one in 1680 that could be seen from earth even during the day. I think this is probably something the devs want to put in the game though, and they definitely should.

Yeah lame, 'cos IRL we see lots of novas every week*! And as for moons crashing, daily occurrence*.

* possibly not true, just like in game

Not to be confused with Supernovae, which are more likely what you're envisioning and much more rare. Novae aren't nearly as visible, but you would think the E: D galaxy would have seen one of those by now.

It would be nice to have a more lively galaxy.

A nova (even if it isn't a supernova) would be fun to watch ... though likely difficult for Frontier to model in the game as it stands now. Heck ... I'd settle for Achernar being modeled properly.

Achernar.svg

The Galaxaxy NEEDS instability IMHO...we NEED navigational hazard debris, we need comets, we need rogue planets, we need super nova's...we need DANGEROUS black holes with event horizons, micrometeorites and damaging debris, we need consequences when running into planets or stars...not being politely dropped out into normal space...... we need module and systems that suddenly fail or at least malfunction for no reason, just like RL........ we need to feel that we are out in the void and anything can and will go wrong eventually.... we need to be on the edge of our pilot seat....... we need DANGER in Elite DANGEROUS!

Still pretty unlikely to see one since we have 400 billion stars...

So every 6.666.666.666,666667th star you could experience a nova while exploring is that correct?

There are 1.5 million sold copies of the game (not everyone is actively playing, but at these numbers it doesn't really matter). If everyone visits 10 stars per year, the community has a 1 in 444 chance of seeing one of the 60 novae.

Considering that stations have to be hand added/subtracted at the moment I think it's safe to say these things are not in game. Yes I'm not a developer but then again you did ask a player forum a question that can be answered fairly confidently without having FDevs knowledge :)

That being said I also think it's fairly clear most of us (barr the salty sarcastic commentators that are strangely prevalent at the moment) do want to see this in game at some stage. Exactly how it would be handled with discovery tags instancing etc would be interesting.

Personally i'd love for small shattered moons to be mining hotspots:
latest

Bad picture link, better one is here: https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.ne...ed_Moon.png/revision/latest?cb=20131111112428

Last edited:
<--- This thread is the reason I've been sporting this avatar for half a year now.

The galaxy in Elite has gone mostly neglected by Frontier since 2.0, there haven't been any real improvements to the Stellar Forge at all in the past 1.5 years (other than neutron star improvements). It's a very static and peaceful, safe, normal place. There aren't any crazy phenomena nor dangerous places out there. No unstable stars, no exploded planets, no high radiation systems nor systems with intense stellar winds. Elite's Milky Way is a very boring, uninteresting place, unfortunately. Maybe someday Frontier will begin to improve the game's virtual Milky Way, but for now they seem to have zero interest in doing so.

I agree with the opinion that there's so much more potential to our current galaxy, so much more that can be done......but!
It amazes me every time when I'm out exploring that our whole galaxy, 400 billion stars, is working to a certain degree.
Planets are in moving orbit around their suns, suns move around eachother, moons are in obit around their planets and a lot of bodies rotate around their axis, and all this in real time.

When I'm trolling around on a moon by daylight, log off and come back a couple hours later, I find myself on the dark side all of a sudden.
To cool in my opinion.
Not seeing Novas or moons crashing is the least of things I miss, comets etc. or more stuff on planets/moons to discover and the tools to do so, that's what I miss.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
@OP

Find some information about the frequency of occurance and timescale of these events, then consider that the ED galaxy is less than 3 years old.

A quick search has found this reference:
Bright novae since 1890
Main article: List of novae in the Milky Way galaxy
More than 53 novae have been registered since 1890.

So on average about 1 every 2+ years.

Last edited:
@OP

Find some information about the frequency of occurance and timescale of these events, then consider that the ED galaxy is less than 3 years old.

A quick search has found this reference:

So on average about 1 every 2+ years.

Is your post meant to confirm that these events are possible, just not observed (yet)? If so, awesome!

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
no. Just a comment about the frequency of the real life events.

I have no knowledge of the workings of Stellar Forge, which produces the ED galaxy.

There are 1.5 million sold copies of the game (not everyone is actively playing, but at these numbers it doesn't really matter). If everyone visits 10 stars per year, the community has a 1 in 444 chance of seeing one of the 60 novae.

Because we don't have enough complaints that people want the game to spoon feed every event at them instead of seeing it on youtube...

verminstar

Banned
Is it just me and my built in from birth stupidity, but something very obvious springs to mind. If indeed they are as rare as some can prove, that still doesnt explain how we know and how that translates into the game. One doesnt have to be in the exact system to see it as it would be visible from quite some distance away...even without a POI marker on the map, most of us can guess the general direction based on what one can actually see, and home in the event to get a closer look.

Of course, thats ignoring the fact that light takes hundreds and thousands of years to travel hence why we are effectively looking at something that happened long before we invented the wheel...but...well gamewavium as thats just too much reality.

The stellar forge is a work of art, it really is...but just like real life art, there are flaws within it...stuff missing that seems to have no logical explanation as to why. Unlike real life art however is the part where things can be changed or added or removed or modified in the forge. As fed up as I am over the beigification issue...and I actually quit the game fer 2 months because of it...one does hold a slim hope that some of the issues with exploration can be addressed.

In the meantime, I have other issues ingame that keep me in the colonia vicinity only...(Im broke and cant afford to transfer out an 8b fuel scoop from the bubble...farming neutrons since friday) Then theres a somewhat long haul in a low range ship to Sag a...one can only hope that by the time I get there that ones ears will have heard some sweet music from their expo to keep my motivation levels up ^

The way the ingame galaxy itself works without any greater problems is a phenomenon itself we should respect before demanding it to be more lively.
I just want space sim, and I got space sim so far. There is nothing wrong with more space sim, but I appreciate a lot what we already got.

Top Bottom