News Forum Downtime - Evening of Sept 25, into morning of the 26th

Brett C

Frontier
Greetings commanders,

In preps for tomorrows launch of 2.4, I will be taking our forums offline late this evening into the early morning hours UK time.

So you're probably wondering... "What is that crazy man Brett doing now?!" Good news, I have provided a short list of changes that you may or may not like. [hotas]

- Some vBulletin updates.
- More updates (these are the worst).
- Updating some addons we use.
- Moving [a lot of] forums around.
- Adding some forums.
- Cleaning up some forum permissions.
- Usergroup permission tweaks for new users.

How long will this take?
Between one hour and 30 minutes to three hours.

There probably will be a little bit of change-shock when the forums come back online, as many forums will be in different locations or slightly renamed. We've spent a couple months deciding what forums should end up at their new destinations. No threads are being pruned/deleted during this downtime.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
No change I think that most of the time....

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Ahhh - awesome... I've been waiting for Operation BAN-THEM-ALL for some tim....

Ohhh, did I say that out loud?

(For those wishing to evade the apocalypse, cheques, bundles of used notes, luncheon vouchers, or postal orders to my address please via PM. :))

Ahhh - awesome... I've been waiting for Operation BAN-THEM-ALL for some tim....

Ohhh, did I say that out loud?

(For those wishing to evade the apocalypse, cheques, bundles of used notes, luncheon vouchers, or postal orders to my address please via PM. :))

It gives buying into new upcoming royalty a whole new meaning (bumba dish) :D

What?!?! Elite Dangerous offline for 9hrs or so I can cope with ... but this ... I just ... I can't ... I'm getting withdrawal shakes just thinking about it ... oh god, there's nothing for it ... I'm gonna have to ... argghhh ... watch the Bake Off back log I have recorded instead!

Mmmm caramel week ... dunk your nuts in hot caramel Paul ... yeah baby .... immerse those suckers!

Last edited:
Personally I'm just waiting for the patching-2.4 server downtime to mean the forums are so busy that my dev feed scraper struggles and it properly tests the new code for fetching full text of posts without missing any posts (if it fails the click-through it should just store the usual precis text anyway, and alert me so I can run a backfill script when things are quieter).

And, of course, I'm hoping none of the changes subtly change anything my code is relying on ;) .

Many users create links to forum threads/posts so if you move forums around, will these links break and need to be updated or are they going to be redirected?
The numeric ID of threads won't change, and that (plus the post number on replies) is all that's needed for the forum to find it. This is far from the first time forums have been moved/renamed/merged/archived.

Top Bottom