Thargoid Interactions

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Welcome to the Thargoid Interactions thread.

What we know so far:

The newly available Xeno Scanner allows players to scan the Thargoid and reveal it as a Cyclops Variant. It also reveals that it has four hearts that are selectable as sub targets.

Not all of the ships have the exact same marking next to the cockpit, though they all have the same central marking that matches the logo on the barnacles.
Orodir's compendium: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...of-thargoid-ship-logograms-compendium.379844/

Non-Combat Interactions

On first meeting the Thargoid will approach and scan you, it's reaction depends on what cargo you are carrying:

Thargoid Sensor, Probe, Link or Meta Alloys

On finishing the scan the Thargoid will not back away from you and if you try to back away it will maintain it's current distance to you. You have 20 seconds to drop the items from your cargo hold, if you do not it will launch the Thargon Swarm. If you have not dropped them in a further 10 seconds it will attack. If you drop the items before it attacks then it will leave you alone and pick them up.

Guardian items
Well it was nice knowing you...
There is no warning, after the scan has finished the Thargoid will launch the swarm and attack.

Anything Else
The Thargoid scans you and then goes about its business.

The Thargoid scans all of the ships and containers in the instance, it is only interested in the following containers:

Thargoid Probe/Sensor/Link - The Thargoid collects them.

Guardian items - The Thargoid destroys them.

Slaves, Imperial Slave, Escape Pods (all types) - The Thargoid collects them.

If you drop at least 5 Meta Alloys while the Thargoid is still in the instance then a second Thargoid will jump in. On it entering you are hit by an EMP pulse which disables your ship. Both Thargoids leave without any further interaction.

Combat Interactions

The Thargoid and Thargon Swarm attack independently of each other.

(to be finished)

Here is a detailed description by Gluttony Fang: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/how-to-solo-a-thargoid-interceptor-video.380292/

Last edited:
It has been documented that if you go into a NHSS Threat 5 and drop 5 meta alloys (or more), the Thargoid will call another one. The second one jumps in and releases an EMP.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
May I suggest adding the interdictions and there types? Not all are the same

Want to help me with a bit more information, all I know is that it can be anywhere from 1 to 3 ships.

It has been documented that if you go into a NHSS Threat 5 and drop 5 meta alloys (or more), the Thargoid will call another one. The second one jumps in and releases an EMP.

Documented and confirmed by more than 1 Cmdr?

Regarding answers to me in the temporary thread, re high wake & mass lock in NHSS, good point about stations & planets! Lol , I forgot that ;), but of course the NHSS aren't normally near those.

Btw, have all NHSS been within 150 LYs of Merope? (I'm just testing it now at a system ~153 LYs from there, nothing yet).

Has anyone been confirmed of pacifying an aggressive Thargoid? I'm curious if it can be done. It's probably just a basic A.I., but you'd think, just like with people, if one took a swing at another, and then refused to fight back, you'd think after a while the one that got punched would stop beating them to death over it to ask why they're not fighting back anymore.

It's probably just Fdev's codding, though. I don't think the Thargoids are built to recognize you lower your weapons and refusing to fight. Even if you shoot them once with a size 1 pulse laser, they'll fire on you until you're dead, even if it takes an hour. Even if you do not fight back, and holster your weapons.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well for starters, here is a Video of the 2nd Thargoid joining.
https://youtu.be/pOHVSqTmxC8
At around 3:13 it's wake pushes me around

Does it always take around a minute for the second one to drop in? Also do we know if this works with anything the Thargoids will chase you for? Sensors/Probes/Links

Interesting that it doesn't seem to pick up the Meta Alloys either, just EMPs you and then waits for the other before jumping out.

Last edited:
I know that CookieJarviz was one of the first to report it in the old megathread (a later in that same thread by another individual whose name I don't remember). I also know that another of my Canonn colleagues, CMDR cmalp, repeated the experiment.

The second Thargoid also comes up as "Thargoid Interceptor" and "Cyclops Variant" with the Xeno Scanner.

Does it always take around a minute for the second one to drop in? Also do we know if this works with anything the Thargoids will chase you for? Sensors/Probes/Links

Interesting that it doesn't seem to pick up the Meta Alloys either, just EMPs you and then waits for the other before jumping out.

I once gave it 1 Thargoid Sensor, 1 Thargoid Probe, and 1 Thargoid Link and it didn't seem to summon the second one. Maybe more pieces will do the trick.

Combat Interactions

The Thargoid and Thargon Swarm attack independently of each other. Standard weapons are ineffective against the Thargoids shields, but seem to damage the hearts. Experimental weapons are very effective against the shields but not against the hearts. Once you have exerted one of the hearts the Thargoid gets angry and start using different attacks on you.

(to be finished)

Um, do you have this backwards? From watching Gluttony Fang's video, it looks like the AX missiles are the only thing that can do hull damage and destroy the hearts. Standard weapons seem to affect their shields, which pop up after a heart is destroyed.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Shamelessly self advertise to be stickied or mentioned in this sticky for combat information:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/380292-How-to-Solo-a-Thargoid-Interceptor-Video

Only cause you also enjoy chuckling at people ;)

Um, do you have this backwards? From watching Gluttony Fang's video, it looks like the AX missiles are the only thing that can do hull damage and destroy the hearts. Standard weapons seem to effect their shields, which pop up after a heart is destroyed.

Possibly, I've never attacked one :D

Last edited:
Btw, have all NHSS been within 150 LYs of Merope? (I'm just testing it now at a system ~153 LYs from there, nothing yet).

Was there over 1/2hr, not 1 NHSS, no surprise there, but I'm now ~133 LYs away at 98 k Tauri (beware the very close neutron star if you go here!!) I haven't see a NHSS yet, been here ~23 minutes & have seen just normal USSs.

Is there any recording/mapping of where the NHSSs are occurring?

Last edited:
It looks like you were just unlucky and ended up too close to it because he was going too fast in your direction, triggering its "back off" warning as soon as its EMP animation finished.

Did you notice how it didn't attack right after turning red but waited a bit before engaging you?

Well it didn't gave me chance to react. I did first slow down and later try to reverse, but he was just too fast, after EMP I was dead in the water (or should I say space).

Well it didn't gave me chance to react. I did first slow down and later try to reverse, but he was just too fast, after EMP I was dead in the water (or should I say space).

Yep definetly going too fast, just an unlucky encounter for you.

On another topic, has anyone been able to make an offering to the staring thargoid that stay with you after a hyperdiction ?

Top Bottom