96 hours to locate a base...? SHENANIGANS!!!!

Sorry dude, but I've heard more than once that certain favorites in the community were shown stuff that others aren't allowed to see and that they are under NDA to not talk. Which to their credit, they have not given away any secrets. When Obsidian Ant says he saw cool upcoming stuff during a recent visit to the offices, I tend to believe him over the company's hype man.

There's a massive difference between select promoters being given a sneak-peak of features, and the idea that people are being given specific information on how to unlock/find those features in the game

Makes about as much sense as a mostly harmless pilot in an Anaconda.

Recspect!
Trade used to be biggest the credit-churning career, so a trader in a 'coda with harmless/mostly harmless ranking isn't a massive surprise. Moving from a T9 to a 'Conda was a great step - both in terms of jump range and defendability.

With respect OP, I completely disagree. Firstly it makes no sense at all to do what you are imagining, and secondly the method it was found is well documented and hinges of one of us players of the old games knowledge of locations in FFE. Like all the other discoveries, it is people's dedication and intelligence that leads to discoveries, not being part of some imagined in crowd.

Goose4291

Banned
With respect OP, I completely disagree. Firstly it makes no sense at all to do what you are imagining, and secondly the method it was found is well documented and hinges of one of us players of the old games knowledge of locations in FFE. Like all the other discoveries, it is people's dedication and intelligence that leads to discoveries, not being part of some imagined in crowd.

laughing-hysterically-gif-1.gif

(i) None of the old locations in FFE mention the Hermitage system.
(ii) Arguments that people were looking for a system near Alioth are somewhat interesting, since the system is barely 40ly from Sol, as opposed to nearly 60ly from Alioth.
(iii) The argument that they skyboxed matched has suspiciously fallen silent since people have pointed out that (a) the sky box isnt the same as the one in the video and (b) the base number on the compound gates don't match.
(iv) Requests as to how the person found the base (to aid finding more of them, which was the goal of that thread) have been met with the sort of White-Knight fanboyism that is usually reserved for someone interdicting sidewinders outside the starter system.

Last edited:
I think the most likely explaination is that it was a chance discovery, and the explorer got caught up in the moment and threw "sky box matching" out there because it sounds a helluva lot awsomer than "I crashed into it."

Most of these things have just been found by brute force and dumb luck. I mean, this is the absolute grindy-est game I know, and some of us dig it, but others are worlds beyond just "digging" it and will happily (crazily?) spend hours and hours circling a single planet at just the right altitude with the colors and contrasts all jacked up, as a warm up activity for today's session. And there are lots of them (Red Bull has a list with addresses, of this I am certain).

Stop underestimating uber-nerd's abilities. (I say this with some degree of indimidation, admoration, respect, and abhoration)

Circling a planet for hours is one thing. Pulling the correct planet out of a hat 120 lys in diameter first try is something altogether different (more like choosing the correct hat out of a giant pile of hats then pulling out of the hat). I don't think we're gonna hear from CookieJ at all so maybe we should just chalk this one up as a marvel of the wide and wonderful universe

Last edited:
* Jaques station goes missing. Everyone is wondering where it might be. A lone explorer finds it 21k lightyears away... Huh. Wow, that's pretty dang cool.

On the galactic map you could sort systems by allegiance and make them appear really big on the map. It still takes a lot of searching, but it isn't impossible to cover a lot of space quickly. When asteroid bases came out I found a ton of them this way. It's cheap, and I don't think you'll see it happen again.

* Thargoids are coming. You can get a really cool, really scary cutscene if you go to THIS area of space while carrying THIS specific item on board. Huh... now just how in the blue blazes did you know... you know what, I'm sold. I wanna do that too.

fdev flipped a switch and people started getting hyperdicted. Completely random, not down to cargo at all. I play just as much as anyone in that sector or space and it hasn't happened to me yet. The barnacle searching is what I want to know about. I think that people are deleting or modding the planet textures so only the weird stuff shows up, then reverting back for the great reveal.

* Less than 96 hours after seeing an old Inara Base for less than 2 seconds in an already busy trailer, said base is found.

They probably pulled a harry potter and friended a QA tester just to see where they were hanging out on the map. Also, I think they may have added a certain sound when you jump into a system that has something secret in it, just like how you can listen for earth-likes.

In all honesty I have never visited the ruins of the guardians, the alien precipitated ship, the new sites of alien eggs, etc. Because? why am I an apathetic player? nah... mainly because I hate playing out of the game, I do not like having to use socialnetwork or external applications to know what to do and where to go. And... and... when exactly happens that someone "randomly" finds a new content "casually" when that content is required to advancethe the rampant "narrative" of the game ... I honestly get caught up in discomfort and start thinking about ugly things ... and then I finish with the unwillingness to participate in what is just a "big lie" for me (IMO)

Last edited:
In all honesty I have never visited the ruins of the guardians, the alien precipitated ship, the new sites of alien eggs, etc. Because? why am I an apathetic player? nah... mainly because I hate playing out of the game, I do not like having to use socialnetwork or external applications to know what to do and where to go. And... and... when exactly happens that someone "randomly" finds a new content "casually" when that content is required to advancethe the rampant "narrative" of the game ... I honestly get caught up in discomfort and start thinking about ugly things ... and then I finish with the unwillingness to participate in what is just a "big lie" for me (IMO)

The truth is that parts of Elite contain or instigate huge amounts of meta. I think that's fine. Whole part of the community revolves around it and live by it. It's kinda awesome, actually.
I'm with you on the "keep the game inside the game" stuff. The good thing is that it's a perfectly fine way to play, too! :)

The truth is that parts of Elite contain or instigate huge amounts of meta. I think that's fine. Whole part of the community revolves around it and live by it. It's kinda awesome, actually.
I'm with you on the "keep the game inside the game" stuff. The good thing is that it's a perfectly fine way to play, too! :)

I just hope that with the new GALNET Audio FD can made also the players that want to play inside the game more knowledgeable and therefore more capable of exploring this kind of gameplay.

How these unicorns are discovered is tough for the rest of us to ponder. If the discoverers are cheating, they know it. Does it really affect our gameplay as how these observable assets enter the game? I tend to look at a lot of these things through youtube anyways. Once they are "discovered" I would certainly appreciate it if permanent markers would identify the locations (akin to visitor beacons). It's not as though the locations are secret any longer, so what is the point of concealing the locations behind lat lon / follow along this special line within this system to the next system, go to 11k etc. etc. Those preserved obfuscations just incentivize play through youtube imo.

What a long thread and all starts with jealousy

aslong i have to find things by looking out of a window, what makes me a worse explorer than columbus (these guys had spyglas or telescopes), i will not search for anything.

To me, checking for (in)game relevant news on YT or FB before I fire the game up is a bit like reading a newspaper before I go to work.
I don't like to come late for work because the bus I'm sitting in was harassed by a wild thargoid on the way. Meta or not.
;)
edit: And watching videos about the mysteries and findings is like watching a documentary or a travel guide. I can go there too, or I choose not to, if I'm not that much interested.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am 99% sure that all our "Discoveries" are being done utilizing code scraping tools and comparing them to old data to find new locations that had the data changed. The likely hood of finding 1 station on 1 planet with literally trillions of possible combinations is not possible to calculate within our lifetime let alone find it.

The other possible method is searching through the skybox files to find the ones that closest matches the screenshot from the video and then searching just those systems. You cannot find a fix point in space without having at least 6 known reference points. Having a screenshot that doesnt provide any distance information and seeing 2 constellations provides the person with Zero points of reference.

Both of these methods are viable and untraceable and can be done with little coding knowledge. The most difficult part of making a "Discovery" is to come up a story that is convincing enough as not to be obvious that you had cheated to find the "discovery". Sometimes that takes a whole 10 minutes to come up with that story. Unless FDEV hands us the information on a silver plate from a listening post, then there is no possible way we could have found any of "Discoveries" in the last year. The only legit ones we made were given to us via in game mechanics.

If you have any references to information that lead you the believe that "scraping" techniques were used, please let me know where that is! I'm a programmer and I doubt this to be true without further proof.

Here's why I doubt this to be true. If the game had in system details for the entire galaxy saved to disk I might believe this, but it doesn't. When you bring up the Galaxy Map, you're just looking at the main coordinates for each system a few other details like the type of main star etc. You don't get the details for a system until you "travel" there. Once in a system you don't even have all the details on that system depending on how far away things are. In this sense the Frontier Galaxy is much like the World Wide Web in that you don't get the details of a web page until you access the page and you don't get the details of links on that page until you access them. The Frontier Galaxy is NOT like that Web, however, in that you cannot (or at least Frontier does not give you license to) just access all the data from the Galaxy server(s) freely like you can any WWW server. Therefore, it would be much harder the scrape that data like you can when it's all on disk or all freely available.

Last edited:
I found my self sat "next" (well the other side of aisle of seats) to David Braben at FX17 last saturday, after the presentation finished the Canonn Group were talking to him and there was much discussion about how Frontier had to stop showing too many stars in their shots and Canonn were explaining how they found stuff (to be honest I did not understand much of it and did not catch all of the conversation), but I did hear Canonn state that they threw out people how data-mined the code.

It was interesting to see the delight on David's face when he spotted them and during the discussion he clearly loves it when people work out the clues, so I would be surprised if they leaked stuff directly as I think they like seeing us working it out from the breadcrumb trails they leave...

Goose4291

Banned
If you have any references to information that lead you the believe that "scraping" techniques were used, please let me know where that is! I'm a programmer and I doubt this to be true without further proof.

Here's why I doubt this to be true. If the game had in system details for the entire galaxy saved to disk I might believe this, but it doesn't. When you bring up the Galaxy Map, you're just looking at the main coordinates for each system a few other details like the type of main star etc. You don't get the details for a system until you "travel" there. Once in a system you don't even have all the details on that system depending on how far away things are. In this sense the Frontier Galaxy is much like the World Wide Web in that you don't get the details of a web page until you access the page and you don't get the details of links on that page until you access them. The Frontier Galaxy is NOT like that Web, however, in that you cannot (or at least Frontier does not give you license to) just access all the data from the Galaxy server(s) freely like you can any WWW server. Therefore, it would be much harder the scrape that data like you can when it's all on disk or all freely available.

Baring in mind that a lot of the tools which people rely on to maximise their game experience were built on client scraping prior to it Frontier changing their policy on data scraping, it's not entirely unfeasible.

Particularly when it's been done in the past: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...thargoids_are_in_the_game_files_as_a_faction/

and quite often, see below: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lite-dangerous-mystery-is-finally-unravelling

Hexcaliber: @DarVarrr I am afraid that is not true, data has exited within the game files pertaining to the Thargoids since launch, even longer; I was data mining stuff back in closed beta, as were others. The Thargoids have been listed as one of the games factions since that time and still are. We even posted about it back in closed beta, but the thread along with a number of files in game disappeared shortly thereafter.

If you want to try to visit or try to find Guardian sites, this has been a lot easier since Ram Tah found a way to make them appear on scanners. Announced on Galnet 13th Feb:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/58a1c19915ac1c7d7426dab9

Also the first Guardian ruins was triangulated from a trailer, that was 26th Oct 2016.

However, after that no more were found despite lots and lots of searching until Galnet said which systems to look at:

24th Jan: https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/58872def9657ba9230f89d99

Then no more sites found until another galnet post:

10th Feb 2017: https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/589db33015ac1c292f68b825

I'm mainly posting this so that you have the in-game so you can go and visit the ruins if you want. Also, so that you've the in-game info on how to find them using the scanner should you want to go and see if you can find any for yourself.

I realise this is still kind of out of the game, but until the codex comes along, it's probably the closest to in-game as is possible for info that was announced via Galnet in the past. Anyway I thought I'd let you know about it all and then you can decide for yourself whether the galnet articles brings it in-game for you or whether it's still too out of the game. Happy hunting either way! :)

Top Bottom