New to Oculus and a bunch of Questions (using Dr. Kaii Profiler e.g.)

o7 Commanders,

I've been playing ED since PS4 launch and recently switched to PC due to a new rig and Oculus. I have attentively read this forum but now I am even more confused. Especially this thread had my attention:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...t-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guide-Compendium

Thanks to the creator as I've learned a lot in a short period of time!

1. I have the Oculus bundle with the touch controller, so this is CV1 and not DK2, right? I don't even know how to find out which one I have -.-
2. I've bought ED via Steam, so in the NVIDIA settings I had to choose "ED LAUNCHER" for the 3d settings as there is no frontier.exe - does the suggested settings from this thread work then?
3. Which is to prefer, the OculusDebugTool.exe or the Profiler Tool from Dr. Kaii? Same here, if I start Elite through the tool I have to set "EdLauncher" as the .exe to start ED with this tool. Is that correct? But it adapts the colors I've set through this tool, so the supersampling have to work, too, right (using 1.0 SS and 2.0 HMD Quality as suggested - is this the best option graphicswise)?
4. I have to start Steam as I am using voiceattack which is also bought via steam - is this ok?
5. These "Godflares" - they are extreme on my end. Are there any tools or suggestions to reduce them or just reducing the HUD intensity (which just works a slightly)
6. I have random disconnects with my Oculus (black Screen and reboot of the device). Yes I have set the USB options correct (Windows is not allowed to switch them off) and did the same in the Energy options (don't know how it is called in english, I am German ;) ). Any suggestions?
7. These are my Profiler settings. Why can't I chose the max resolution of Oculus (2160 x 1200) and it always switches back to this:
Ie6PHy.jpg

My Specs:
Amd Ryzen 1800x
GTI 1080ti (Zotac Amp Extreme)
32Gb DDR4 Ram

Thank you in advance if anyone can help on these points.

Kind regards
CMDR RothschildPK

Last edited:
o7 Commanders,

I've been playing ED since PS4 launch and recently switched to PC due to a new rig and Oculus. I have attentively read this forum but now I am even more confused. Especially this thread had my attention:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...t-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guide-Compendium

Thanks to the creator as I've learned a lot in a short period of time!

1. I have the Oculus bundle with the touch controller, so this is CV1 and not DK2, right? I don't even know how to find out which one I have -.-
2. I've bought ED via Steam, so in the NVIDIA settings I had to choose "ED LAUNCHER" for the 3d settings as there is no frontier.exe - does the suggested settings from this thread work then?
3. Which is to prefer, the OculusDebugTool.exe or the Profiler Tool from Dr. Kaii? Same here, if I start Elite through the tool I have to set "EdLauncher" as the .exe to start ED with this tool. Is that correct? But it adapts the colors I've set through this tool, so the supersampling have to work, too, right (using 1.0 SS and 2.0 HMD Quality as suggested - is this the best option graphicswise)?
4. I have to start Steam as I am using voiceattack which is also bought via steam - is this ok?
5. These "Godflares" - they are extreme on my end. Are there any tools or suggestions to reduce them or just reducing the HUD intensity (which just works a slightly)
6. I have random disconnects with my Oculus (black Screen and reboot of the device). Yes I have set the USB options correct (Windows is not allowed to switch them off) and did the same in the Energy options (don't know how it is called in english, I am German ;) ). Any suggestions?
7. These are my Profiler settings. Why can't I chose the max resolution of Oculus (2160 x 1200) and it always switches back to this:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6603/Ie6PHy.jpg

My Specs:
Amd Ryzen 1800x
GTI 1080ti (Zotac Amp Extreme)
32Gb DDR4 Ram

Thank you in advance if anyone can help on these points.

Kind regards
CMDR RothschildPK

1) CV1 yes.
2) dunno on Vive sorry
3) as 2
4) .
5) .
6) My experience with the Vive would say onboard USB can often have issues, a dedicated USB card for £20 sorted all by Vive disconnect problems
7) That's the resolution on the monitor, not the headset. Headset will always be in it's native res. Ideally you'd want that res low to reduce the load on the GPU, no point in rendering on the monitor to 2160 x 1200.

1) You've got a CV1
2) not sure as I didn't buy it on Steam
3) I woudn't use the Oculus Debug Tool any more. I recommend getting the Oculus Tray tool which lets you make the same adjustments and in a much more comfortable way. Just be aware that super sampling and HMD quality settings of both might add up so make sure to increase super sampling only in one of the tools, not in both.
4) I don't think you need Steam for VA but then again I didn't buy it on Steam.
5) Those "Godrays" are caused by the fresnel lenses so it's a hardware issue that cannot be fixed by software (except that reducing contrast makes them a bit less pronounced).
6) Keine Ahnung, hatte nie ein Problem mit USB. ;-)
7) Wow, don't you get terrible stuttering with that setup? I have a 1080ti but I cannot set HMD quality above 1.5 with AA on and all those ultra settings without noticing frame rate drops.

1) You've got a CV1
2) not sure as I didn't buy it on Steam
3) I woudn't use the Oculus Debug Tool any more. I recommend getting the Oculus Tray tool which lets you make the same adjustments and in a much more comfortable way. Just be aware that super sampling and HMD quality settings of both might add up so make sure to increase super sampling only in one of the tools, not in both.
4) I don't think you need Steam for VA but then again I didn't buy it on Steam.
5) Those "Godrays" are caused by the fresnel lenses so it's a hardware issue that cannot be fixed by software (except that reducing contrast makes them a bit less pronounced).
6) Keine Ahnung, hatte nie ein Problem mit USB. ;-)
7) Wow, don't you get terrible stuttering with that setup? I have a 1080ti but I cannot set HMD quality above 1.5 with AA on and all those ultra settings without noticing frame rate drops.

1) Thx :D
2) damn
3) So just the Oculus tray or combined with the ED Profiler? Currently I launch ED with the ED Profiler but this links me to the Steam Window of VR and I have no clue if the settings get it to the game (but the changed HUD Colors are working ingame, so I guess al other settings are implemented too then?)
4) If I start a Elitedangerous64x.exe (found one) it says I have to start it with the ED Launcher...
5) damn
6) Ich auch nicht mehr scheinbar :)
7) Well I hope Elite adapt those settings I have no clue how to find out. But if yes I have no problems. I had stuttering when I also opened the debugger tool and put SS up.

I have read multiple times that performance suffers when playing ED in VR via Steam. I would suggest launcching ED via the frontier launcher or Oculus Home.

You can check in game if Dr Kaii‘s settings are applied. SS 1.0 and HMD 2.0 is too much. Try 1.0 and 1.5 and check how often ASW kicks in.

Thx & yep they do and it runs perfect with that settings. It is just studdering when I activate the Oculus Tray tool and put SS to 2.0 :D
But when I put HMD to 1.0 ingame it runs smooth again. But I don't really know what looks better. HMD 2.0 oder SS 2.0 -.-

Check your in-game settings and verify that they match what you put into the profiler.

Theres a button at the bottom of this great tool called detect Current settings. Press that then save to a new profile, so you can switch them to compare. I use this when i change settings whilst in game, then shut down.

Theres a button at the bottom of this great tool called detect Current settings. Press that then save to a new profile, so you can switch them to compare. I use this when i change settings whilst in game, then shut down.

I'll give that a shot, thank you. But to switch windows I always have to remove the Oculus. That's annoying :/ But I've seen a Video, that windows will be able to put ingame without losing Oculus controlt (even Youtube n' stuff)

Edit: Before I forgot, thanks everyone who is trying to help, I really appreciate. I just bought this new rig while I was already playing Elite a while on Ps4 with all engineers unlocked, high ranks and so on. I am in touch with Frontier in hope to transfer my account. But they are not able to do that by now (because of privacy policies - I guess that's on Sony's side), but they try to make this happen in the future. Restart the grind ist...frustrating, especially when everything is so new with VR (which was the main reason for switching to PC) :D

Last edited:
One pretty good advice - uninstall Elite from Steam as fast as you can and use with Oculus Stand Alone instalation (ED launcher), or Oculus Home version (better Stand alone)
You will be surprised, how much better it will be and also you will avoid that reported problems with black screens and unconnecting. Instantly.
For HMD 2.0 you will need pretty mightfull graphic card (or two), I have GTX 1080 and playable is HMD 1.5 (otherwise there are huge fps drops in stations and on planets)
Dr Kaii Profiler is great tool, I´m prefering it from OculusDebugTool.exe

I'll give that a shot, thank you. But to switch windows I always have to remove the Oculus. That's annoying :/ But I've seen a Video, that windows will be able to put ingame without losing Oculus controlt (even Youtube n' stuff)

Edit: Before I forgot, thanks everyone who is trying to help, I really appreciate. I just bought this new rig while I was already playing Elite a while on Ps4 with all engineers unlocked, high ranks and so on. I am in touch with Frontier in hope to transfer my account. But they are not able to do that by now (because of privacy policies - I guess that's on Sony's side), but they try to make this happen in the future. Restart the grind ist...frustrating, especially when everything is so new with VR (which was the main reason for switching to PC) :D

Until Oculus 'DASH' comes out in December, which should make viewing other windows within the VR session a breeze, i use the little nose gap to view my monitor whist wearing the HMD. Not ideal and if you have a big shonk, then harder than hard, but luckily i don't so i have a nice gap to peer through to check the monitor.

And now it gets nooby ;) How do I install Elite when I've purchased it via Steam? I mean the steam client is downloading, updating and installing automatically. Neverthelesse I start ED per EDprofiler or in Oculus Home as a third party app. Then the ED Launcher appears. I never start it via Steam directly.

Does not matter where you purchased it.
You must login to your Elite account then in executed Launcher. So even if you install Steam version, or will use only Launcher without have it in Steam library (non Steam installation - downloaded Launcher and installed through Launcher), after you login, you will be able to start game just from Launcher.
Also you can claim here https://www.frontierstore.net/frontier_partnerkeys/ your Oculus Home version, if you decide, for free.
But really, do not use Steam version with Oculus Rift. Download Launcher http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/Client-Installer.exe and just install game from Launcher itself. It will work also with updates [wink]

Since most has been covered, just a couple of tips.

Try to avoid steam vr if possible, may clear up issues.

What has worked best for me is using SDK tool to set pixel to 2.0, and then set supersampling to .65 in game. This is a good combination of performance and graphics. average high quality most settings. I would also very much recommend using the performance hud in the sdk tool while you adjust settings. This will let you adjust til you're making the most of your system without going to far. (go to a res site or in and out of orbitals to tax your system the most) It will also show you if bottlenecks are in gpu or cpu.

God rays can be reduced a few ways. Turn down your hud brightness (right menu under functions), try adjusting eye width slider, and the absolute biggest culprit for me was lense _distance_ from eyes. I replaced the eye interface (that piece of plastic that snaps into the headset that is what actually touches your face) with a thin third party piece. (it doesn't plug in or anything so it's a little ghetto and takes a little adjusting to get used to) That removed a lot of god ray for me.

Last edited:
Does not matter where you purchased it.
You must login to your Elite account then in executed Launcher. So even if you install Steam version, or will use only Launcher without have it in Steam library (non Steam installation - downloaded Launcher and installed through Launcher), after you login, you will be able to start game just from Launcher.
Also you can claim here https://www.frontierstore.net/frontier_partnerkeys/ your Oculus Home version, if you decide, for free.
But really, do not use Steam version with Oculus Rift. Download Launcher http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/Client-Installer.exe and just install game from Launcher itself. It will work also with updates [wink]

Ok. I've searched for the "EdLaunch.exe" and opened it and started Elite through the Launcher without starting Steam (but have not re-installed it before). Is this ok?
In VR I start Elite through Oculus Home (third party) without opening steam - also correct then? Even if steam is active at this moment but I start ED with Oculus home is this also legit?

If, when start game with Launcher, the SteamVR app is not opened, you are out of Steam and it is ok.
Im using for both, VR or non VR, always EDProfiler (when changing game mode between VR/non VR), then just starting launcher and game itself... In both cases Oculus Home opened with game.

If the SteamVR is opened even if you started game via Oculus Home, or Launcher, it still have influence from SteamVR and may cause problems, drops, disconnects... In this case uninstall Steam version and then install just Stand alone Launcher version (best option)

This thread has been very helpful for this VR noob. Currently no matter what settings I use in the ED Profiler, I get some glitches when headtracking (most noticeable on the HUD) and some screen flashes. While I was tweaking the settings back and forth I realized that everything looked great regardless of settings looking around in the cockpit if I didn't click back to the ED Client window. Headtracking and everything worked great with no glitches. Of course no control until the client window is selected...then right back to the glitchiness. Any thoughts?

i5-7600K 3.80 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM
GTX-1080 NVIDIA v3.10.0.95
Windows 10
Launching ED from Oculus Home
VA running in background

Top Bottom