New game improvement suggestions

Sorry Alg, can't get on board with those ideas as..........

[video=youtube_share;JoQ4GidQP-k]https://youtu.be/JoQ4GidQP-k[/video]

I am suggesting a new system for ED, I am pretty sure many (if not all ) would agree.

1. No more modes: 1 mode - Open Only, console plebs and poor internet connection folks will move to CQC.

2. Docking computer and turret weapons are removed form the game. If you cant dock you dont deserve a PF licence. If you cant aim at least with gimbals, you dont deserve to be a fighting pilot.

3. No more NPCs, the role of NPCs will be fulfilled by the PVE players. They like to go from A - B - A repetitively, high wake/explore, circle the station for no reason, having trouble docking while getting stuck in the mail slot, their skills match the NPCs.

4. Bounty hunting res sites and conflict zones will be full of PVE players and they will be farmed by the PVPiers like we do today.

5. Assassination missions will randomly choose one PVE player and put their name as a mission target, if they get killed you complete the mission and receive all their assets, they will be back in a sidewinder.

6. Combat logging will automatically result in you going back to sidewinder, even if you get disconnected by poor ISP, take it up with them.

7. Block functionality is removed from the game.

8. PVE players heatmap will be added to the game.

I think we can all see how this suggestion will balance the game and everyone can fulfill their role in the ED universe.

o7 commanders!
Two things will happen:
1) People will stop playing PvE and stop being easy targets for PvP players, and turn into playing PvP only.
2) Or, people will choose to stop playing all together.

End result: same as today, but a total number of fewer players in Elite.

--edit

Oh. Didn't click. You're just being funny. Brain not working here. :)

Actually, we should remove missions, trading, and mining as well, and only shoot each other with nerf-gun weapons.

If you can't kill another commander with a fixed nerf-gun, then git gud or git out.

Last edited:
I like the idea of just having one ship, the Cobra is a good suggestion.

Definitely get rid of Engineers, oh and Powerplay while you're at it, ...and might as well get rid of the BGS too.

With the BGS gone you could easily make the game work offline and get rid of all those nasty networking and instancing problems. This would also stop all the endless rehashing on the forum of the tired old Open vs Solo and PvP vs PvE discussions.

Then you could have a look the the graphics, making them simpler would get rid of texture and LoD issues and any problems with different hardware platforms and graphics cards. Maybe get rid of the texture and colour altogether? Just keep everything nice and simple and in black and white ...oh, and take the level of detail on the ships right down too. Just some basic polygon shapes. That should keep the coding nice and simple and help FDev keep up with bug fixing, etc.

There.

I'd play that game!

I like the idea of just having one ship, the Cobra is a good suggestion.

Definitely get rid of Engineers, oh and Powerplay while you're at it, ...and might as well get rid of the BGS too.

With the BGS gone you could easily make the game work offline and get rid of all those nasty networking and instancing problems. This would also stop all the endless rehashing on the forum of the tired old Open vs Solo and PvP vs PvE discussions.

Then you could have a look the the graphics, making them simpler would get rid of texture and LoD issues and any problems with different hardware platforms and graphics cards. Maybe get rid of the texture and colour altogether? Just keep everything nice and simple and in black and white ...oh, and take the level of detail on the ships right down too. Just some basic polygon shapes. That should keep the coding nice and simple and help FDev keep up with bug fixing, etc.

There.

I'd play that game!

And get rid of landing. Doesn't work on Mac now, which upset a lot of Mac players.

I feel like I've played this game before. a long long time ago...

Still stirring the pot Algo :rolleyes: Why don't we all just turn off our gaming consoles and stare at a blank screen instead. Would be much easier to implement and EVERYBODY would have an even playing field :D

Actually Algo, was thinking about the no more modes thing, and i think you might be onto something there.

Rather than modes, let's replace it with a group list! Each group can appear, like a server list for Ark or other games. You click the group you want to join. The group list shows the type of group it is (PvP, PvE, Mixed) and the current number of players in it. You can favourite groups as well. If people want solo they just use their own group and lock it. Naturally owners of groups can appoint admins to help manage the group, and they have quick and easy access to simple tools, like the ability to boot people or invite them.

That way you could get rid of open and solo and the existing PG system.

There would be no more open vs solo debate any more then. There might be debates between "Best ED group ever - PvP" and "Another best ED group ever - PvP" and "Best PvE group, better than Mobius - PvE" groups.

A guesstimate ratio of my SOLO/OPEN is about 80/20. It's all about me getting an overload of social stimulance at work every day. It's very soothing to go lonewolf with a brew, left with your own thoughts.
Having said that, I still think BGS and POWERPLAY should only be affected by OPEN. It's like playing football and realizing half of the opposing team is invisible.

One compromise would be to diminish the effect of Soloing BGS/POWERPLAY.

Ofcourse these suggestions have been throwned a lot during the years...but again, even tho I'm mostly a SOLO guy I would not object to that change.

Risk/Reward and a healthy choice for everyone.

Last edited:
A guesstimate ratio of my SOLO/OPEN is about 80/20. It's all about me getting an overload of social stimulance at work every day. It's very soothing to go lonewolf with a brew, left with your own thoughts.
Having said that, I still think BGS and POWERPLAY should only be affected by OPEN. It's like playing football and realizing half of the opposing team is invisible.

Ofcourse these suggestions have been throwned a lot during the years...but again, even tho I'm mostly a SOLO guy I would not object to that change.

I primarily play in Open, and I'm perfectly fine with other players playing BGS/Powerplay in other modes. After all, I will rarely, if ever, play with the following players:
  • Players who play at different times than I do - It should go without saying, there are 168 hours in a week, but I'm lucky if I can log in 5 hours a week. Do the math.
  • Players who play don't play near me - Frontier decided to go with a Peer-to-Peer networking solution to do the heavy work with, as opposed to a Server/Client. This allows them to avoid having to charge a monthly subscription to players who want to play the game. Because matchmaking tries to get the best experience possible, you will rarely get matched with players who live far from you, unless you deliberately try to be instanced with them.
  • Local Players who are playing at prime time - The two factors above, combined with my 5am work schedule, pretty much ensures that very few players will ever be visible to me. Even at CGs, those proverbial hot spots, I rarely see players.
  • Players on other platforms besides PC

If I'm already not directly playing with huge swaths of the player base, what are a handful of players more, that might possibly not get instanced with me? But thanks to a shared Universe, I get to indirectly play with every single player in the Elite galaxy. This shared Universe, thanks to the accumulated actions of the entire player base, helps bring life to what would be a otherwise static gaming experience. This is a good thing IMO.

Furthermore, I play games to have fun. Moreover, when I play games with others, I want them to have fun. As such, I want to play with players who enjoy PvP. If a player doesn't enjoy PvP, then I'd rather not ruin their gaming session by forcing them to engage in it. I try my hardest, when I initiate, combat with another player, to provide enjoyable content, but if they won't enjoy the experience, even if I go with an amusing pirating theme like "Imperial Shield Inspector," I'd rather they play in a mode besides Open, and fully enjoy everything the game provides.

Restricting most of the game's deeper content to Open won't bring players who don't, in any way, enjoy PvP into Open. I don't understand how anyone would think this would be the case. Especially by withholding ​content that Frontier explicitly advertises as available across all modes and platforms.

I've been playing online games for about 30 years now, so I know nothing kills a game faster, than allowing GSPies (Ganks Single Players) free access to players who don't enjoy PvP in any way. I'd prefer a thriving game, with systems everyone can enjoy, over a dead game, or a game that's alive, but the most interesting parts of the game are dead or dying. Given that Powerplay and BGS are both nearly exclusively PvE, it'll do far more harm than good to restrict the best parts of Elite to Open only.

I'll happily affect the BSG from solo, and I'm happy to have players in open affect me, even though I can't see them.

People can undo my work from any mode - which mode you choose affects which players you see, not your work. Give a bonus to people in open and you'll see people tweaking their routers to let them collect the bonus while still not meeting anyone. I'm not saying people should do this, but they can do this.

Cheers, Phos.

I'll happily affect the BSG from solo, and I'm happy to have players in open affect me, even though I can't see them.
Of course! That is because you have a mature, level headed way of looking at things, and realise that all modes were created equal. It's perfectly balanced.

But people being people, everyone is looking to gain an edge, and that results in players arguing to have more! Gimme! Mine! All under the pretense of balance. But that's such a transparent excuse I am sure Frontier doesn't fall for it.

Heck, small puppies wouldn't fall for that shtick.

ALGOMATIC

Banned
Of course! That is because you have a mature, level headed way of looking at things, and realise that all modes were created equal. It's perfectly balanced.

But people being people, everyone is looking to gain an edge, and that results in players arguing to have more! Gimme! Mine! All under the pretense of balance. But that's such a transparent excuse I am sure Frontier doesn't fall for it.

Balance is the last thing this game has.

Anyway, lets get back to my proposal, as you see there are no issues of balance there, everyone fulfill their roles in the universe under one mode.

Hey, Ziggy. I was under the impression that my response was mature (born 1973) and level headed...Can't please everyone these days.

Hey, Ziggy. I was under the impression that my response was mature (born 1973) and level headed...Can't please everyone these days.
Hi! I was born a year before you, so I can tell you from experience that age has nothing to do with it maturity. :)

I checked your response, and I have to agree with you. But mind that you aren't campaigning, but seem to have little opposition to the campaign, and aren't looking to gain an edge over your fellow player. So you are not included in my assessment.

Balance is the last thing this game has.
Except for the modes. They are perfectly balanced. The choice is Open to all. Choice is freedom.

Actually Algo, was thinking about the no more modes thing, and i think you might be onto something there.

Rather than modes, let's replace it with a group list! Each group can appear, like a server list for Ark or other games. You click the group you want to join. The group list shows the type of group it is (PvP, PvE, Mixed) and the current number of players in it. You can favourite groups as well. If people want solo they just use their own group and lock it. Naturally owners of groups can appoint admins to help manage the group, and they have quick and easy access to simple tools, like the ability to boot people or invite them.

That way you could get rid of open and solo and the existing PG system.

There would be no more open vs solo debate any more then. There might be debates between "Best ED group ever - PvP" and "Another best ED group ever - PvP" and "Best PvE group, better than Mobius - PvE" groups.

This is exactly my position recently, too. Remove Open, perhaps make it PG's only even removing Solo, because Solo players can create their own "Private" session, and voila! No more messes.

Then perhaps FD can work on the number restriction for PG's, strict controls (PvP flag for the group) and all problems are solved.

Top Bottom