How do people find all the "cool stuff"

Hi all,

this may have been answered already, but although searching the forums has led me to some great resources like the canonn webpage, I'm still confused as to how a lot of the awesome stuff in the game (generation ships, crashed alien ships, abandoned bases, ghost ships) is initially discovered. I mean I had hoped that by reading GalNet updates I might get some clues as to weird stuff going on, or leads that I can follow to find some of this stuff myself (I know I can follow guides posted by people on the forum, but I was hoping there's be some sort of immersive, in-game method).

I found a crashed nav buoy on a planet, but that was pure luck and apparently that's a randomly generated encounter. How do people search whole planets to find hidden bases? How do people even know which systems to look in? If I wanted to set myself up as an explorer-savant, what tips could you give me?

It's just that as much as I'm loving the game, every time I read an exciting news article on eurogamer about how some CMDR has solved a mystery that's been around for years, I feel a little sad inside, like there's this whole side of the game I'm not participating in.

Any advice?

Look at your nav panel in every system. Investigate anything you don't recognise. Same on planets. Keep fingers crossed - it will happen [up]

Edit: For finding phenomena we know about there are often guides. Barnacles / Brain Trees / Guardians / Thargoid Structures / Organics / Geologics. Read the guides, talk to the experts. Or wait for Q4 2018, where it should switch to easy mode.

Edit2: Read Herald (only Herald, others are generated) Articles not tagged with Freelancer in stations. Follow clues.

Last edited:
Yep, use your eyes, your ears, your navigation panel, your radar, even your Data Scanner.

I got caught up not that long ago chasing signals given off by data points and satellites from one system to another. It was a fun distraction.

It just takes some effort to actually find a thing never before found.

Hi all,

this may have been answered already, but although searching the forums has led me to some great resources like the canonn webpage, I'm still confused as to how a lot of the awesome stuff in the game (generation ships, crashed alien ships, abandoned bases, ghost ships) is initially discovered. I mean I had hoped that by reading GalNet updates I might get some clues as to weird stuff going on, or leads that I can follow to find some of this stuff myself (I know I can follow guides posted by people on the forum, but I was hoping there's be some sort of immersive, in-game method).

I found a crashed nav buoy on a planet, but that was pure luck and apparently that's a randomly generated encounter. How do people search whole planets to find hidden bases? How do people even know which systems to look in? If I wanted to set myself up as an explorer-savant, what tips could you give me?

It's just that as much as I'm loving the game, every time I read an exciting news article on eurogamer about how some CMDR has solved a mystery that's been around for years, I feel a little sad inside, like there's this whole side of the game I'm not participating in.

Any advice?

There are lots of ways. I remember when FD released a sneak-peek video of an alien ruin, someone was crazy enough to triangulate the location based on the stars in that video. It is the most mind-boggling thing I've seen in this game.
Other times it's just blind luck. There are simply enough people looking, that even a really improbable things are quite probably going to be found.

I suspect hacking into game files is also a valid option to some people.

Edit2: Read Herald (only Herald, others are generated) Articles not tagged with Freelancer in stations. Follow clues.

I'm not fussed about being the first to find something, but I would like to find something just using cues in-game rather than foillowing a guide on the forums. It feels a little immersion-breaking. Thanks for the heads up on Herald though

There are lots of ways. I remember when FD released a sneak-peek video of an alien ruin, someone was crazy enough to triangulate the location based on the stars in that video.

Yeah see that's awesome about the triangulation thing, but both of these feel too "out of game" for me. I guess I'll keep looking and checking Herald. Thanks for the tips!

Seriously, the Heralds are least interesting - especially as many are in code. Nav panel is most useful. I've been first to find megaships just by looking at the Nav Panel and wondering - what's that?

I just look in my wardrobe. All the cool stuff is there.

pNjOfop.gif

There are lots of ways. I remember when FD released a sneak-peek video of an alien ruin, someone was crazy enough to triangulate the location based on the stars in that video. It is the most mind-boggling thing I've seen in this game.
Other times it's just blind luck. There are simply enough people looking, that even a really improbable things are quite probably going to be found.

That's what they claimed at least. A lot of this stuff is actually being found by picking apart the game files after each update.

Hi all,

Any advice?

Have you tried YouTube? ;)

Seriously, the Heralds are least interesting - especially as many are in code. ?

I love codes though. I love piecing together clues and searching, rather than just randomly stumbling across things. These are the sorts of things I'm most interested in and I wish were more frequent in the game - little news reports of strangeness in whatever system, a missing ship in this area, a coded message leading me on a trail to find other clues. That's exactly what I want to be doing, but finding the start of a "rabbithole" or breadcrumb trail eludes me.

Frontier did mention they seed clues in-game to use on puzzles:

[video=youtube;n8e_AUqQDds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8e_AUqQDds[/video]

They were talking about Jaques and a treasure hunt specifically, but inferred it happens for other stuff too.

I wonder if anyone ever get all the Jaques clues after the fact?

More specific question... how the heck did CMDR Robbie Junior came across CMDR Jameson’s cobra? I visited the place and would guess its proximity with the inra bases could point to the system. Other than that its a small ship in the middle of nowhere, in a dark (when I visited) whole. Even with the coordinates in hand it took me several flybys to locate the poor . There is no nav point or clue on nav tab from what I noticed, and it almost feels like pure luck or hand of god type of thing, but if there is another explanation I would love to know.

More specific question... how the heck did CMDR Robbie Junior came across CMDR Jameson’s cobra? I visited the place and would guess its proximity with the inra bases could point to the system. Other than that its a small ship in the middle of nowhere, in a dark (when I visited) whole. Even with the coordinates in hand it took me several flybys to locate the poor . There is no nav point or clue on nav tab from what I noticed, and it almost feels like pure luck or hand of god type of thing, but if there is another explanation I would love to know.

<yawn> wish people would look into this rather than casting aspersions. I actually think that ship is visible at a longer range than the bases - I spotted it at around 40 Km out and I usually can't see anything. Anyway, here - yet again - is the explanation for how he cora was found: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ed-Ships-etc?p=6162301&viewfull=1#post6162301

As for the wannabe earlier - what a clot. xdeath and others spent weeks on tracking down the base.

<yawn> wish people would look into this rather than casting aspersions. I actually think that ship is visible at a longer range than the bases - I spotted it at around 40 Km out and I usually can't see anything. Anyway, here - yet again - is the explanation for how he cora was found: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ed-Ships-etc?p=6162301&viewfull=1#post6162301

As for the wannabe earlier - what a clot. xdeath and others spent weeks on tracking down the base.

Thanks for the post and the free sarcasm, somehow I missed post #264 out of #304. If it bothers you so much, why write? Jezz I wish I had this kind of time available, the guy found by luck after 3 hours looking for anything. But seriously, thanks for pointing out (again) the answer, I am sure more people will wonder the same (again) soon, but now one more person knows where to find this “cool stuff”.

Thanks for the post and the free sarcasm, somehow I missed post #264 out of #304. If it bothers you so much, why write? Jezz I wish I had this kind of time available, the guy found by luck after 3 hours looking for anything. But seriously, thanks for pointing out (again) the answer, I am sure more people will wonder the same (again) soon, but now one more person knows where to find this “cool stuff”.

Yeah, I was more wound up by the other guy, sorry you got some flack :) I guess I prefer it when people just ask how things are found with an open mind, and I see the way the finders are treated by default as if cheats, which ... isn't great
o7

Top Bottom