2.4 - Maybe not so boring

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"...The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society..."

Erm, one drawback with that: the abbreviation is "."

Oh Dear. How about the Association for the Removal and Subjugation of Extraterrestials, Humanoids and Offensive Living Entities?

I said this from another thread:

What we are seeing here is very similar to something that I proposed to Sandro sometime ago and he really liked it, here is the thread:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ore-dynamic-systems?highlight=Dynamic+systems

So I am really hoping that we will be seeing these kinds of scenarios in the standard system conflicts/states.

Yeah, looking for this very same thing and it actually warms my heart for FD already doing that at full extent.

Add mechanics - and then tie those mechanics together and give our commanders a story behind all that.

To be fair also FD has been going towards this for long time, but we finally start to see fruits....mechanics and gameplay elements working together.

Deleted member 115407

D
It;s about time. If they attack something I like, they're going to be in trouble, and I will finally engage.

DEATH TO THE INSECTOID SCUM!! MAKE HUMANITY GREAT AGAIN! FREEEEEEEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!! :D

I noticed the GalNet article mentioned Thargoid Sensor interference at another port.

I was out at Sothis/Ceos, two days ago and one of those had Thargoid Sensor interference as well.

No reason for anyone to be arguing for this sort of thing, it was blatantly obvious it would be happen. Past few months on this forum has been like watching kids asking 'Are we there yet?' Are we there yet?'

Dude, the slow burn has been a bit much for some of us :(

This cheers me right up though.

Deleted member 115407

D
re. slow burn, thing is, some people play or want to play elite daily.

others can only play once a week, or even less frequently.

pace needs to keep all engaged.

tough balance.

but given holiday period was coming, its a natural escalation point.

You make a very good point.

Yes, they certainly didn't just pull thatone from out of nowhere.
The problem was, it wasn't there from the beginning.
If this sort of illustrative effort had been there from the start, FD would have had many more people on board in regard to story/narrative.
Perhaps you're right, perhaps this is what the original idea always was.
But my, why'd it take them 3 years....especially if you think about some of the other things we got during that time.
And yes, ED needs more of this, loads more.
The problem is that many people on this forum have no idea about story telling. LOTRO wouldn't be a good movie if it started with a big fight and that's true for basically any form of fiction out there except from Serious Sam. People who complained that the bubble isn't burning yet should ask themselves if that's really the only option.

Don't get me wrong, Frontier aren't any good at story telling either, they just fail to give us the most basic tools to follow their story. But they are still better than some "experts" on this forum... ;)

The problem is that many people on this forum have no idea about story telling. LOTRO wouldn't be a good movie if it started with a big fight and that's true for basically any form of fiction out there except from Serious Sam. People who complained that the bubble isn't burning yet should ask themselves if that's really the only option.

Don't get me wrong, Frontier aren't any good at story telling either, they just fail to give us the most basic tools to follow their story. But they are still better than some "experts" on this forum... ;)

I think start of 2.4 was having no NPC chatter tailored to such events and more just casual mentions of Thargoids in local news. I was for slow burn start, but it lacked any resonance in NPC world.

Now we see NPCs actually reacting in game to Thargoids and their attacks, things start to give some hooks for us, commanders, to attach ourselves with story.

I have reported multiple times....and I hope FD will resolve this and will add another good tool for story tellers to use.

Deleted member 115407

D
Don't get me wrong, Frontier aren't any good at story telling either, they just fail to give us the most basic tools to follow their story...

That's the biggest issue. Had I logged in today without reading the forums, I would have never known that this was happening.

The Galnet button in the station menu should be pulsing red, and we should be getting emergency communications on our messages panel when we log in.

Not harping though... this is a good start

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the biggest issue. Had I logged in today without reading the forums, I would have never known that this was happening.

The Galnet button in the station menu should be pulsing red, and we should be getting emergency communications on our messages panel when we log in.

OK, please no pulsating galnet button. Also no stupid mini map and quest markers, I for one am happy that the game doesn't suffer from the casual epidemic. How about NPC chatter, a mission that gives you some directions and tip offs instead?

Deleted member 115407

D
OK, please no pulsating galnet button. Also no stupid mini map and quest markers, I for one am happy that the game doesn't suffer from the casual epidemic. How about NPC chatter, a mission that gives you some directions and tip offs instead?

That's what I just said ;)

*edit*

But I think this is much bigger news than just a "Hey, I have a tip-off for you"

Last edited by a moderator:

Kietrax

Volunteer Moderator

That's what I just said ;)

*edit*

But I think this is much bigger news than just a "Hey, I have a tip-off for you"

From what I have heard there are markers on the map for where the damaged stations are, same as engineers and CGs - think you might have to enable them first though ...

From what I have heard there are markers on the map for where the damaged stations are, same as engineers and CGs - think you might have to enable them first though ...

Yes, they are there. I don't think their story telling approach was bad this time, it's the counltess other examples that left a lot to be desired...

Deleted member 115407

D

There are - but again, that is a tab on the galmap that I rarely visit. Just like GalNet.

An alert of some kind to push players in the right direction would be a welcome addition.

There are - but again, that is a tab on the galmap that I rarely visit. Just like GalNet.

An alert of some kind to push players in the right direction would be a welcome addition.

I am hoping with the Galnet Audio coming in the Q1 update, that Galnet gets an update too. I wouldn't mind if we got Galnet Messages for important story related stuff which can be filtered, that you could then listen to when going about you daily business.

I agree; this is the first good news I've heard about 2.4. Also, agree about the pulsing red button.

I have some bad news for you; ED has gone casual, just without any of the benefits we enjoy in many other areas of modern game design.

Might have been better to have them defaulted to on not off when they were introduced. Without a heads up it could have been ages before I found out about them.
Also I'm with you on the highlighting of the galnet. I would have ignored it if I hadn't heard here that tis was going on.

Some people just don't want to be happy.

The whole "winter is comming" quote has been thrown around a lot in supporting pesimistic outlooks, but they seem to forget that winter doesn't start for another week.

Some people just don't want to be happy.

The whole "winter is comming" quote has been thrown around a lot in supporting pesimistic outlooks, but they seem to forget that winter doesn't start for another week.

Errrm, i'm certainly pleased and perhaps even impressed by what we've seen today.
Just this, if you care to recall, "winter is coming" was last winter, and still remains a scripted, mildly interactive, cut scene dud.
"Winter is coming" is not recyclable for every time it fits someone's agenda, just because it's that time of the year again.

Last edited:
Maybe traders will have a role too in this, bringing in parts to fix up the station, with thargoids interdicting us to stop us. Along with the type 10, trading could get very interesting.

Of course, there should be a risk/reward to this too, to give us a reason for us to go do it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom