Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Medevac Memorial Challenge (27JAN-04FEB)

NRL1I1f.png

A time-trial race event open for nine days on all gaming platforms. A test of skill for interstellar ambulance pilots and speed enthusiasts of all kinds.

The Story:
“Alright candidates, listen up.”

The pilot briefing room aboard Harris Hospital Station fell silent as the Director of the Interstellar Ambulance Group approached a podium in front of the newest class of Commanders seeking to earn the silver-winged caduceus. They had come a long way during training, but the final challenge remained.

“As demonstrated by the growing threats facing humanity throughout occupied space, the need for competent ambulance pilots has never been greater. As we saw out in the Pleiades, anyone can stuff a T-9 full of scared station inhabitants and truck them out to a waiting megaship, but severely injured people can’t travel that way. We need true medical evacuation ships, with flight paramedics and proper equipment on board, that can keep patients alive on the way to a full size medical installation. Our predecessors learned this in battle, and their call sign was ‘DUSTOFF’. The first among them pioneered the use of early VTOL craft called helicopters for this purpose. They pulled patients out of murky jungles, or off the side of cliffs, or from stricken vessels at sea. You will follow in their footsteps, for after all these centuries, the only real difference in our work is scale. When there’s an accident at an asteroid mining outpost, or workers are injured constructing a starport, the only thing that can bridge the light-years between them and the nearest hospital station is a speedy ship.

“Today you will undertake the practical check-flight, which is designed to test your skills in all medevac mission tasks. You will work the navigation systems while making rapid approaches and departures; you will respond to incidents on planetary surfaces and in orbit. If you control your nerves and prevent simple mistakes, you will succeed.

“You will be flying the Dolphin Standard Space Ambulance, and we will see who finishes at the top of the class. However, to make things more interesting I’ve invited the most reckless- er, daring pilot organization in the galaxy, the Buckyball Racing Club, to set times in their highly customized ships. Let’s see if any of you can beat them by skill and wit, in which case you might get an early upgrade to the Diamondback Advanced Rescue Ambulance. This will also be a perfect opportunity to see if any of those racing pilots can put together a build that is faster and cheaper than what we’ve been using, or at least demonstrate the viability of modified drives to the Safety Board.

“You’ll find the necessary mission information is being transferred to you flight computers now. I suggest you review the route and parameters carefully. Good luck Commanders.”

Memorial Station Names History:
Charles L. Kelly was a U.S. Army pilot during the Vietnam War, and was the Commanding Officer of the 57th Medical Detachment (Helicopter Ambulance). He was called "Crazy Kelly" and "Mad Man Kelly" for his willingness to fly into danger to rescue the wounded.

Kelly was killed in action on July 1, 1964, when, after being urged by troops on the ground to depart a dangerous landing zone even though not everyone had been loaded on board yet, he replied, "When I have your wounded-" and was cut off by a bullet that pierced his heart. The rest of his crew survived the subsequent crash and were rescued.

Later on, an officer tossed the bullet which had killed Kelly on a desk in front of his successor, Patrick Henry Brady, and asked if they were going to stop flying so aggressively. Brady picked up the bullet and replied, "we are going to keep flying exactly the way Kelly taught us to fly, without hesitation, anytime, anywhere."

On his second tour of duty, Brady was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. (Read the citation) He flew over 2,000 combat missions and evacuated more than 5,000 wounded personnel. He eventually retired as a Major General on September 1, 1993.

Race Rules:

Ship Classes:
There are two classes, and Commanders can compete in either or both.

The Dolphin Standard Class, which must match the linked build exactly, engineer modification is not allowed.
The ship and all relevant modules can be found at Velazquez Ring in LTT 17102, not far from Miola.

The Experimental Class, which must adhere to the following:
- Small or Medium Ship
- Less than 5 million Cr baseline ship cost (hull only, modules may exceed this)
- Excluding the Dolphin and Diamondback Explorer (already existing ambulance platforms)
List of authorized ships:
Sidewinder
Eagle
Hauler
Adder
Imperial Eagle
Viper
Cobra Mk III
Viper Mk IV
Diamondback Scout
Cobra Mk IV
Type-6 Transporter
Imperial Courier
Keelback
Asp Scout
Vulture​
- Required Modules: 1E cargo rack (2T capacity only), any SRV hangar, and any fuel scoop
- Shields and/or upgraded hull strength are recommended, but not required
- Engineer modified modules ARE allowed
- Collector limpet controllers are NOT allowed
- Offensive weaponry is NOT allowed

Race Sequence:
Begin with your ship docked in Miola, at Harris Hospital. Time starts when you launch from here.
Complete the following missions as quickly as possible, considering the 2T cargo capacity limit:

Medical Resupply Request: The small clinic at Kelly Legacy has run out of donor blood for transfusions and needs you to bring fresh supplies from Harris Hospital immediately.
What: 1T of any cargo from the commodities market
To: Asgara, A 1 a, Kelly Legacy​
Planetary Evacuation Request: Listening posts have picked up an emergency-locator-transponder signal from these coordinates, find the downed ship and bring the pilot to Zelano Medical Installation for evaluation.
What: 1T of cargo found at the pick up site
To: Zelano, A 4, Medical Installation​
Interfacility Patient Transfer Request: This patient has just come out of surgery at Brady Station but needs to be transferred to the long term intensive care unit at Zelano Medical Installation to have hope of a full recovery.
What: 1T of any cargo from the commodities market
To: Zelano, A 4, Medical Installation​
Deep Space Evacuation Request: Anonymous eyewitness reports indicate that a vicious battle was fought here, so beware of debris and hostile ships. Survivors may be in bad shape so bring them directly to Harris Hospital.
What: 1T of cargo found at the signal source
To: Miola, Harris Hospital​

Time stops when all missions are complete and you touch down at Harris Hospital, ready for follow on assignments.

General Rules and Notes:
-One ton of any type of cargo will suffice as a mock ‘patient’ or ‘load of medical supplies’ for this challenge.
(something theme appropriate might not be available in the commodities markets or at the crash sites)
-You are limited to a single flight paramedic, so a maximum of two ‘patients’ may be carried on board simultaneously.
(1E grade, 2T capacity cargo rack limit for both race classes)
-Although all stations on this route support large ships, interstellar ambulances must be able to respond to outposts.
(Only small or medium size ships *excluding Dolphin and DBX* are authorized for the Experimental Class)
-Patients on planet surfaces must be retrieved to your ship using the SRV.
-Patients in space must be retrieved using the cargo scoop. (no limpet controllers)
-Zelano Medical Installation utilizes a special airlock tunnel to rapidly handle incoming ambulances without the need for standard docking procedures. Simply fly into the tunnel, stop near the center, jettison your cargo, and continue.
-The crash site on Leucos, A 5 a, -36.128, -45.243 has scannable points that will cause it to appear on your nav panel for future reference after your first visit (see Bonus Challenge below).
-NS/WD boosting is allowed, but you may not begin the race pre-charged from a double boost.
-Jumponium FSD injection is not allowed.
-The race may be run in any game mode, but it is fun to play it in open. It is highly likely that you will encounter other friendly Buckyballers, and unlikely that you will encounter hostile players at the race checkpoints.

Schedule:
The race will be open for 9 10 days, from 00:00:01 UTC on 27 January 3304 to 23:59:59 UTC on 5 February 3304. There is no limit on the number of attempts/submissions per racer; each person’s fastest time in a given class will be marked on the leaderboard. Entries will be accepted for up to 24 hours following the close of the race, after which the rankings will be finalized.

Submission Info:
Before you begin, it is customary (but not required) to post a reply in this thread declaring your intent to race by stating your CMDR name (if different from forum name), race class, ship type, and ship name. For bonus fun, post a picture of an air ambulance from your country or city of origin, and attempt to match the paintwork on your ship, for example:
tbr47qU.png

The Swiss use a typical red/white but you will find a huge variety by image searching for various countries/cities.​

Race entries may be submitted via this form where you will be asked to provide a link to your evidence of completing the race. This may be a video or set of screenshots hosted publicly at a site such as youtube or imgur.

If using screenshots to verify your entry, the following are required and the clock must be visible in #2-#8:
1. Ship Modules Panel (required regardless of entry class)
2. Docked in Harris Hospital (don’t forget to load 1T ‘medical supplies’)
3. Docked at Kelly Legacy, with ‘cargo jettisoned’ displayed
4. In SRV on Leucos A 5 a, with ‘cargo acquired’ displayed
5. Docked at Brady Station, with the commodities page open (load 1T ‘patient’)
6. In the tunnel at Zelano Medical Installation, speed less than 30m/s with ‘cargo jettisoned’ displayed
7. In the Unidentified Signal Source near Algol A 3, with ‘cargo acquired’ displayed
8. Docked at Harris Hospital​

Bonus Challenge: Master Navigator
The crash site at Leucos, A 5 a, -36.128, -45.243 will have to be found by traditional compass and coordinate navigation on your first visit. However, once you scan it’s data points with your SRV, it will be saved in your nav panel and may be selected and flown directly on subsequent runs. Since some players may have visited and scanned this site in the course of their regular gameplay prior to the event, and there is no way to verify that players are not using this expedient without video, it is the default method for the race. This bonus challenge is simple, but a video-capture method of submission is required. Fly the race without scanning the crashed ship, so that you have to arrive at the site purely by manual navigation. Prove to the world that you have orbital cruise flight! Don’t just win the race, win it in style. CMDRs that take on this bonus option will be highlighted on the leaderboards for bragging rights (or an additional board will be established if interest is high).

Leaderboards:
Jazg93h.png

HhSiqF8.png

Update as of: 111800FEB3304

Submit Entry
Submission period complete

Last edited:
Intent to race rescue - not sure what class yet, probably both.

Oh, and Hanekura ... I believe use of the SRV will be required for some of the rescue scenarios involved in this event.

Not sure there's any red/yellow paint jobs i own... Ship(s) to be determined, but will attempt a Cobra MK3 run.

7958880.jpg

Let me see:
- Chopper: check. No problem about wich one is 'my' rescue heli - I can almost see the pad from my office window, and it occasionally lands close to my house (we have a couple of defined rendezvous points in the village, and one of the emergency doctors lives a couple of houses over), and on sunny spring/summer weekends, I usually get a few flyovers per day (there's a major highway and a couple of apparently well used motorbike routes close by :-/ )
- yellow/black Hauler: check (although I'm extremely reluctant to run the name of the organization that also finances these choppers on my Hauler, I'll see what I can do about that)
- cargo rack, hangar, shield, scoop: can do, although that'll mean I'll have to run without scanners. Is that possible (i.e. do an untimed scanning run first, then do the timed run in the required layout)? Or may I implore the race organizers to permit swapping one of the non-critical modules (shield, scoop) for an ADS? I mean, the real life choppers don't stop for a quick refuel during a mission, either.

Oh, and congratulations to CMDR Perseus Tacticus for the race idea.

There's a chance I may be back in time for this one but it's not 100% certain - although I do have an unengineered Dolphin on standby somewhere in the bubble to speed things up (I was planning to run the updated Black Riband when I got back).

Edit: the BRC promotion machine has swung into action - Fuel Rats and Paige Harvey tweeted, Pixel Bandits notified, Lave Radio and Pete Wotherspoon contacted!

Thanks very much! If we get an influx of new racers, someone may need to do up a sort of waiver... 'BRC not responsible for speeding fines, rebuy costs incurred, etc.' and yes the need for the SRV will become apparent :)

Not sure there's any red/yellow paint jobs i own... Ship(s) to be determined, but will attempt a Cobra MK3 run.

Aukland! Very nice, the Cobra should be a solid choice here

Let me see:
- Chopper: check. No problem about wich one is 'my' rescue heli - I can almost see the pad from my office window, and it occasionally lands close to my house (we have a couple of defined rendezvous points in the village, and one of the emergency doctors lives a couple of houses over), and on sunny spring/summer weekends, I usually get a few flyovers per day (there's a major highway and a couple of apparently well used motorbike routes close by :-/ )
- yellow/black Hauler: check (although I'm extremely reluctant to run the name of the organization that also finances these choppers on my Hauler, I'll see what I can do about that)
- cargo rack, hangar, shield, scoop: can do, although that'll mean I'll have to run without scanners. Is that possible (i.e. do an untimed scanning run first, then do the timed run in the required layout)? Or may I implore the race organizers to permit swapping one of the non-critical modules (shield, scoop) for an ADS? I mean, the real life choppers don't stop for a quick refuel during a mission, either.

Oh, and congratulations to CMDR Perseus Tacticus for the race idea.

Thank you! I hope you'll find it both fun and challenging, as I've come to appreciate from past BRC events and wanted to try to contribute to the group.

As to the modules for experimental class, I'll clarify that those are just the minimum required, and most ships are free to mount additional items such as scanners, AFMUs, etc. as desired. I definitely want the Hauler and ships with few internal slots to be viable though, and I suspect the course is going to require a fuel scoop, so I think to keep it fair across the board I'll just make shields optional for all. Increase the decisions and trade-offs that can be made when assembling a ship to fit your racing style.

Also, everyone is allowed to run the course as many times during the race week as they wish, adjusting the ship as needed, submitting new entries if they can improve their time. So a scouting trip like you mentioned is perfectly acceptable as well.

Last edited:
Hey Perseus, if you edit your sig you can wrap a link around the image which points at this thread so people can just click it to get here (you probably know this).

Never flown a Dolphin before. Sounds fun!

Well, I was looking for an excuse to buy a Dolphin...

Yep I figured it would be a fun change of pace, during testing turned out to be surprisingly fun to fly, and even without any special paint job it still looks the part.

Nice ;)

Several MediCorp rescuers will participate (certainly). Ambulances, it's our passion!

Great, welcome! I hope it is OK I used some pictures of ships from your site [big grin] I wanted to ask for someone bi-lingual to send a message to MediCorp and invite everyone, glad you found us!

Yep I figured it would be a fun change of pace, during testing turned out to be surprisingly fun to fly, and even without any special paint job it still looks the part.
Reporting for duty!

04d9MoE.png

Great, welcome! I hope it is OK I used some pictures of ships from your site [big grin] I wanted to ask for someone bi-lingual to send a message to MediCorp and invite everyone, glad you found us!

Found 'em on Discord and used Google Translate. :cool:

Nice

Several MediCorp rescuers will participate (certainly). Ambulances, it's our passion!

Bienvenue au Buckyball Racing Club tout le monde!

Well, I was looking for an excuse to buy a Dolphin...

And what a better excuse! I've had mine for a while now and it's a pleasure to sling around (should get back to it for some relaxed taxi job as soon as I stop risking the life of my SLF pilot with the Keelback :))...going to temporarily repurpose the Thanks For The Fish for racing rescue duties and strip it off the spicy stuff.

WRT air ambulance, they usually come in two flavours in my country:

Italian Red Cross:

4000551588_63726e5a1d.jpg

Local/regional air rescue:

igrei-fqa-1701-600-600x402.jpg

Needless to say, I have no paintjobs for either of the two :D, so the Dolphin in its stock attire will have to make do:

Mh1NZ1y.jpg

Oh dear ... after running missions out of Miola for a couple of days now in order to gain some local rep' (you never know when you might need to call in some favours with the local port authorities) I've fallen foul of an ill-advised planetary scan mission and now find myself WANTED at Harris Hospital! Hmmm ... a somewhat inauspicious start to the race methinks, this does not bode well.

:eek:

Now, where did I put that false beard and glasses from "The Last Gasp" ... I fear some sort of disguise might be necessary.

Last edited:
And what a better excuse! I've had mine for a while now and it's a pleasure to sling around (should get back to it for some relaxed taxi job as soon as I stop risking the life of my SLF pilot with the Keelback :))...going to temporarily repurpose the Thanks For The Fish for racing rescue duties and strip it off the spicy stuff.

WRT air ambulance, they usually come in two flavours in my country:

Italian Red Cross:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/4000551588_63726e5a1d.jpg

Local/regional air rescue:

http://www.dgualdo.it/wpmain/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/igrei-fqa-1701-600-600x402.jpg

Very cool! That AW139 looks like an excellent aircraft, most companies in the U.S. seem to be using EC135's these days. Here's one that a friend of mine flies:

AUQZwiV.jpg

It's a bit of a fixer-upper... but prize money is prize money!

https://i.imgur.com/5JjmzGV.jpg

It's got a nice patina, gives it character!

PSA: The BRC offers no prize money for winning this event ;)

Pete "we read the news so you don't have to" Wotherspoon's typically quirky take on the Medevac Challenge.

http://laveradio.com/Galnet/180123Galnet.mp3
(fast forward to 2:12)

:D

That is awesome and hilarious!

Very cool! That AW139 looks like an excellent aircraft, most companies in the U.S. seem to be using EC135's these days. Here's one that a friend of mine flies:

Now that's a job I'd gladly exchange with mine! Lucky friends you have :eek:

Actually 139's are just some of the newest and the ones I'm seeing around the most here in northern Italy, but Airgreen (the company providing most of the air ambulance services) as well as other service providers (and military) also have EC135/145 and Bell 212/412 in their fleets...but I'm particularly fond of the Agusta since one of these beauties saved my life a couple years ago: I was attending the airshow for the 100th anniversary of the Aeritalia airport here in Turin during a cruelly sunny summer day, and the shadow of a lone yellow-red AW139 parked by the side of the airstrip has been my (and a lot other people's) only protection from a guaranteed heat stroke from midday and well into late afternoon. Peak life saving performance performance back there. :D

Top Bottom