News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (23.01.2018) - Part 3 Recap

I think I didn't get the new engineering thing right. If you can always use more materials to improve your previous result to a maximum... that means that everyone can get the EXACT SAME stats, which are the top ones. So CMDRs will potentially have the same ship? No more randomize results? The only difference between CMDRs now will be the amount of tries to get to the same number?
Please, could you clarify further, Will?

Thank you.

whats the point of engineering, when the top end result is 100% the same for everyone?

aka doing grade5 rolls as long as it takes to reach the max + the flavor of the month secondary.

and why does Sandro only consider the time on the engineering screen as a factor to the rage angainst grind.
-> its nice that all the nonsense animations got removed,

but the time to gather the materials for all those Grade 1-4 Rolls is what most of us complain about.
a Type10 has 9 weaponslots. if i wanted to use the same blueprint on all 9 weapons:

grade 1 and grade2 have at least one overlapping material requirement. 4 rolls required per Grade:
thats at least 71 units of one material i have to stock up, and hope that its not required for another mod in that session.

whats the point of engineering, when the top end result is 100% the same for everyone?

aka doing grade5 rolls as long as it takes to reach the max + the flavor of the month secondary.

Because it “balanced FD style” and very few people will actually invest hundreds of hours for a 100% on a single module. Most will stop after month of constant grind without maxed modules. Creating an illusion of “variety”.

That's how it appears to me, I must say. In Open, eventually the only differentiator in weapons will be the one special effect applied to that weapon.

and why does Sandro only consider the time on the engineering screen as a factor to the rage angainst grind.
-> its nice that all the nonsense animations got removed,

but the time to gather the materials for all those Grade 1-4 Rolls is what most of us complain about.
a Type10 has 9 weaponslots. if i wanted to use the same blueprint on all 9 weapons:

grade 1 and grade2 have at least one overlapping material requirement. 4 rolls required per Grade:
thats at least 71 units of one material i have to stock up, and hope that its not required for another mod in that session.

Yes, agreed. I can't see something this big changing much after beta, unfortunately.

The saving grace is that we could find the Grade 5 materials (lots of them) and trade them for the lesser grade materials to complete the lesser grades first, but it then becomes an exercise in mouse clicks.

The most awaited and the biggest disappointment stream. I've left after first ten minutes with bad feelings. You (FDev) have prepared many nice things for coming Q1 (looking forward to it), but disapointment, with shown complete ignorance to the feedback for proposed engineering change, was too strong today ...

Last edited:
Yeh this I think is ultimately my issue, at the moment each time I do a G5 FSD I just do a couple of rolls and live with what I get (Directly. At G5). They are not perfect or god rolls. It's going to be a lot more tortuous to do this in the future on new ships. There must be a compromise middle ground to say keep the upgrade path but less rolls per grade.

Completely agree. I'm someone who doesn't give a damn about god rolling or putting in the effort to try to do so (although I do like a nice roll like anyone else :))

However if I read this right FD has chosen their benchmark of 'proper' engineering effort as the equivalent of uber nuts 100x god rolling. Good lord, why would they choose that insane behavior as a desired benchmark?

I don't even want to think about the amount of grind for outfitting an entire ship if every single module has to go through this G1-G5 progression.

Quick rehash of what I said in another thread as it’s probably worth knowing:
When using the broker, assuming the 3:1 ratio going down is universal across grades, doing a single grade 5 roll will cost you 2.5 times the listed blueprint price (of grade 5). Getting grade 4 to where you can go to grade 5 will cost 1.5 materials (so if you want to settle for that, you can and it’s not as costly as grade 5 with less pronounced negatives).

The biggest issues with the system, as I see it:
- The materials are artificially and unhelpfully spread too widly. With no proper way to do this kind of math, many people will feel put off by it. Even if you know the math, feeling you have to collect 70 mats instead of 7.5 objectively feels worse if you only want a single grade 5.
- The rng can and will in its current iteration add to the grind in very ridiculous and unpredictable ways, as seen on the stream.

The latter can be fixed by simply making the rng more consistent while getting a module to where you can go up a grade (i.e. less variance in the distribution for all you maths lovers out there).
The former, well... I don’t really have any idea on how to solve that. Being able to see the converted cost (i.e. in terms of the rarest mat) and being able to get to rank up possible levels in one go by paying 3x the blueprint price would certainly be helpful.

So what i have been working on for the past 2000 hrs will be untouched? And will people be able to build ships equal or stronger then mine
Yes, and no, the latter of which depends on your module and secondaries of choice.

Edit: any non-weapon module “should” be fine. However, weapons got the short straw of the balance as they can’t both apply what previously was an experimental effect and what previously was a secondary - it’s either the secondary or he experimental, or none. I hope they change them into seperate categories, thus allowing them to exist simultaneously.

Last edited:
What is a COVAS?

Can we clarify out acronyms and initialisms before using them? I have no idea what a “versity” is, either, so no idea if I’ll miss it or not...

On a. Side note, I wish they had just implemented player adjustable sliders.
Z...

Last edited:
Because it “balanced FD style” and very few people will actually invest hundreds of hours for a 100% on a single module. Most will stop after month of constant grind without maxed modules. Creating an illusion of “variety”.

That doesnt sound right. To me as a casual, it looks like there will be far less grind, as the materials will be much easier to get and keep and trade up for what's needed.

To be honest I am not understanding all this butthurt.

So what i have been working on for the past 2000 hrs will be untouched? And will people be able to build ships equal or stronger then mine

Does it really matter that they may have a gun that has 0.5% more DPS. Not that it matters much as you can't tell what type of engineered module they have anyway which will change the settings.

What is a COVAS?

Can we clarify out acronyms and initialisms before using them? I have no idea what a “versity” is, either, so no idea if I’ll miss it or not...

On a. Side note, I wish they had just implemented player adjustable sliders.
Z...

Some kind of computer voice system, your ship's computer voice if you prefer :)

Top Bottom