[VIDEO] Boarding a FREEFALLING CORVETTE!

I found a new way of having fun and i also made a video about it.
I tried to board a ship launched fighter to a freefalling corvette .

Video contains some of my tries, others succesful and others not so much :D. The best one so far, starts at 5:40 with some creative video editing [yesnod].

[video=youtube_share;OrGHctsIyqY]https://youtu.be/OrGHctsIyqY[/video]

Last edited:
You obviously do have money to spare... Great vid, tho!

What is your FOV set at? and how big a screen do you play on? I really like the point of view from your Taipan.

You obviously do have money to spare... Great vid, tho!

What is your FOV set at? and how big a screen do you play on? I really like the point of view from your Taipan.

FOV at 70 and screen is 29'.

Play the music from the docking scene in Interstellar over that, should fit perfectly.

Yea i thought of it and allready tried it but the video was better with the interstellar clips here and there for some reason :).

I was like, huh, why is this special... oh.

If you dock using FAOFF it shouldn't make a difference whether the mother ship is in "free fall" or "stationary"... it's in space. It's always in freefall! Match velocity, then go in.

The spinning one might still be a challenge.

I think you have just invented a new sport. +1 rep Cmdr!

I hope it becomes a race of some kind :D.

I was like, huh, why is this special... oh.

If you dock using FAOFF it shouldn't make a difference whether the mother ship is in "free fall" or "stationary"... it's in space. It's always in freefall! Match velocity, then go in.

The spinning one might still be a challenge.

Allready did a docking in fa-off but its not so easy. It does catch up the ship faster in falling though. It is amazing fa-off practice.

Allready did a docking in fa-off but its not so easy. It does catch up the ship faster in falling though. It is amazing fa-off practice.
I actually tried this, and failed (twice)

It's actually much harder than it sounds, because of the weirdo physics in Elite.

With real physics there should be no difference in docking with a ship falling towards an atmosphereless planet, and docking with a ship in orbit.

However, in Elite, the maximum speeds of the ships and the space molasses effect throw some serious spanners into the works... I wouldn't use it as serious FAOFF practice since this is an edge case where the physics of Elite break completely, causing the ship to behave completely different from normal FAOFF.

I found out you can't really even control the lateral movement of the fighter relative to the mothership after you get locked into the maximum FAOFF speed by gravity (which happens to be different from the mothership's maximum falling speed). You can use FAON as a brake to go upwards and then use boost to do some very rough adjustments but I couldn't find a reliable way to fine tune my approach.

So yeah, I guess I have to concede, your stunt is quite impressive.

I actually tried this, and failed (twice)

It's actually much harder than it sounds, because of the weirdo physics in Elite.

With real physics there should be no difference in docking with a ship falling towards an atmosphereless planet, and docking with a ship in orbit.

However, in Elite, the maximum speeds of the ships and the space molasses effect throw some serious spanners into the works... I wouldn't use it as serious FAOFF practice since this is an edge case where the physics of Elite break completely, causing the ship to behave completely different from normal FAOFF.

I found out you can't really even control the lateral movement of the fighter relative to the mothership after you get locked into the maximum FAOFF speed by gravity (which happens to be different from the mothership's maximum falling speed). You can use FAON as a brake to go upwards and then use boost to do some very rough adjustments but I couldn't find a reliable way to fine tune my approach.

So yeah, I guess I have to concede, your stunt is quite impressive.

Well i must say you are pretty much.. spot on. There are some pretty weird mechanics going on when falling in elite. I also found it was very very difficult, when approaching the ship.
I found it as a good fa-off practice because it forced me to pay attention to my vector and use the correct thrusters because if not.. it threw me far away as a penalty, especially when i was sideways from the ship, trying to get closer which was very very difficult in fa-off. But i agree, it wont serve normal fa-off flying.

Top Bottom