GalNet: Fact or Fiction?

I had one commander insult me yesterday for not believing that an article on GalNet was God's Own Truth (tm) and therefore indisputable.

I have to say that I've always treated the GalNet articles pretty much as I would a newspaper article, that is to be taken with a pinch of salt especially when making pronouncements from on high.

So, my question is, are GalNet articles always correct?

I had one commander insult me yesterday for not believing that an article on GalNet was God's Own Truth (tm) and therefore indisputable.

I have to say that I've always treated the GalNet articles pretty much as I would a newspaper article, that is to be taken with a pinch of salt especially when making pronouncements from on high.

I guess you are one of those that doesn't think the Attacks are related to Aegis?

I guess you are one of those that doesn't think the Attacks are related to Aegis?

No. I think they are just not for the stated reason. My thinking is this. The Thargoids cannot just wander into a station and ask where the nearest Aegis office is and since they are very alien, they probably have difficulty with our communications, so how do they know where the Aegis office are?

I think that they detect stations containing their own technology, which we know that they can detect, and it just so happens that the Aegis people have the most of this, so the stations with Aegis people get blasted. The difference is that it is not Aegis per se that are causing the attacks but rather that they have large amounts of alien technology.

Still, that's off the point.

The Thargoids cannot just wander into a station and ask where the nearest Aegis office is and since they are very alien, they probably have difficulty with our communications, so how do they know where the Aegis office are?

I think you'd be surprised at just how adept they are at deciphering human communications. They created DORIS, didn't they?

From memory, Aegis built labs (blatantly cannon fodder) During one of the first strikes a report was made by one of the scientists claiming they had tech on board, he warned his superiors the Thargoids would come looking. Thargoids steam roll through every station that has a lab. Couldn't have been any more obvious, even more funny now that an Aegis official (Fronitier) Had to spell it all out for those that still didn't get it.

The Attacks are just a small and very obvious part of an ongoing story line, whilst I am sure many would like to have affected the outcome, we never had any control, they are just setting the scene, these thargoids can be aggressive, and are powerful, but they only strike when they need to. If it had been any other way at this stage they may as well had given us a full scale invasion, it would be all out war.

Last edited:
GalNet is official lore. Some of the news is speculation which is also official lore.

Thus official lore can be wrong, no?

From memory, Aegis built labs (blatantly cannon fodder) During one of the first strikes a report was made by one of the scientists claiming they had tech on board, he warned his superiors the Thargoids would come looking. Thargoids steam roll through every station that has a lab. Couldn't have been any more obvious, even more funny now that an Aegis official (Fronitier) Had to spell it all out for those that still didn't get it.

The Attacks are just a small and very obvious part of an ongoing story line, whilst I am sure many would like to have affected the outcome, we never had any control, they are just setting the scene, these thargoids can be aggressive, and are powerful, but they only strike when they need to. If it had been any other way at this stage it would be all out war.

I had forgotten that, so I wasn't that far off!

The story line is getting very interesting, it must be hard to try and think like an alien!

In my opinion GalNet articles are always correct about what they publish.

If GalNet reports that X happened, then X happened.

If GalNet reports that Y said Z, then it's correct that Y said Z - but that doesn't mean that Z is correct.

If GalNet reports that Y said that Z said X happened, then it's correct that Y said Z said X happened - but that doesn't mean that Z said X happened or that X happened.

In my opinion GalNet articles are always correct about what they publish.

If GalNet reports that X happened, then X happened.

If GalNet reports that Y said Z, then it's correct that Y said Z - but that doesn't mean that Z is correct.

If GalNet reports that Y said that Z said X happened, then it's correct that Y said Z said X happened - but that doesn't mean that Z said X happened or that X happened.

Nicely explained, thank you.

So, pretty much like newspapers then.

I saw most of your argument. Must say, I agree with you. Galnet is simply the media organisation of the current time in E: D. There's nothing (imo) that implies that the information there should be taken as gospel - Galnet could be misled by the people being quoted or reporting the information. It was only recently that player submissions were stopped, wasn't it?

GalNet is official lore. Some of the news is speculation which is also official lore.

How so? Especially when you consider player submissions?

I saw most of your argument. Must say, I agree with you. Galnet is simply the media organisation of the current time in E: D. There's nothing (imo) that implies that the information there should be taken as gospel - Galnet could be misled by the people being quoted or reporting the information. It was only recently that player submissions were stopped, wasn't it?

Think the OP is talking about official articles that are meant to be statements from senior figures in the game, as far as I am aware any statements have always been correct, it basically the devs forwarding the story line.

Think the OP is talking about official articles that are meant to be statements from senior figures in the game, as far as I am aware any statements have always been correct, it basically the devs forwarding the story line.

While the reporting is correct, I see no reason to believe that the statements are necessarily to be taken at face value. Though I also don't see any reason not to, generally. I certainly wouldn't put it past FD to use Galnet to mislead, and in fact rather hope they would do this.

While the reporting is correct, I see no reason to believe that the statements are necessarily to be taken at face value. Though I also don't see any reason not to, generally. I certainly wouldn't put it past FD to use Galnet to mislead, and in fact would rather hope they would do this.

Because it was obvious? Like so obvious it is funny, like Joe Pesci funny.

I don't understand your point?

I guess you never watched Goodfellas. Anyway, my point is there is nothing to doubt regarding the new Galnet article, it was clear what would happen, as soon as those bases started magically appearing without any CG's. Or in clearer terms, thank you Admiral Aden Tanner, for stating the bleeding obvious.

I guess you never watched Goodfellas. Anyway, my point is there is nothing to doubt regarding the new Galnet article, it was clear what would happen, as soon as those bases started magically appearing without any CG's. Or in clearer terms, thank you Admiral Aden Tanner, for stating the bleeding obvious.

Ah, you misunderstand. I am not doubting any specific article in the slightest (that wasn't what the OP asked). I am agreeing with the OP that it is sensible to be cynical. :)

GalNet is owned and ran by the Pilots Federation. And there, in essence, is the answer to your question.

Top Bottom