Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

I think CL2 needs to know about the planet - I may have coded everything with the assumption that the planet you want to land on or fly around has had a scan performed and hence the data loaded into CL2.

It is an app with Exploration in mind after all :)

If this is a planet in one of the 'known' systems - i.e. the ship already had all the scan data (as with a lot of bubble systems), and if that system has a Nav Beacon, you can go to the Nav Beacon and scan it. Note that having a DSS fitted whilst doing so is recommended. Captain's Log will then receive all the data about all the bodies within that system, exactly as if you have DSS scanned them yourself.

Definitely in the bubble known system, Shinrarta, so I had all the data. I assumed that CL would pick it up from the journals and know I would be on approach when in orbital and would take my coordinates.

I know its more for exploration, which I am using it for, but the other uses for it on known planets because of the navigation ability would a boon. I am using it on my other account, but was dying to try out the Chieftain and of course, that meant landing on a new looking planet to compare how it looked before.

So scanning the Beacon would be the only option for places that are already know?

Definitely in the bubble known system, Shinrarta, so I had all the data. I assumed that CL would pick it up from the journals and know I would be on approach when in orbital and would take my coordinates.

I know its more for exploration, which I am using it for, but the other uses for it on known planets because of the navigation ability would a boon. I am using it on my other account, but was dying to try out the Chieftain and of course, that meant landing on a new looking planet to compare how it looked before.

So scanning the Beacon would be the only option for places that are already know?

That's the only way Frontier has provided - very kindly too I might add! We didn't have the nav beacon scan like that before! That was introduced in the previous last Horizons update. :)

I'm still campaigning to get some way of being able to force a re-scan of a body, if you have scanned it before. That's the next step in helping 3rd party apps become even more useful!

Regards

Last edited:
I like what Captain's log is trying to do but I find it difficult to read. Is there anyway to change the font? This is what I see and can't find a way to change it.
RyXJGR1.png

Am I the only one that's got this problem?

Cheers,
Mark

I like what Captain's log is trying to do but I find it difficult to read. Is there anyway to change the font? This is what I see and can't find a way to change it.
https://i.imgur.com/RyXJGR1.png

Am I the only one that's got this problem?

Cheers,
Mark

You're running a 4K or otherwise Hi-DPI screen, right?

Try bringing up the Windows Preferences menu for the CL2 exe file and going to the Compatibility tab - Override Hi-DPI Scaling Behaviour like so...

Yv6lEpf.png

It'll be one of those options of Application, System, or System (Enhanced) which might work to bring those pesky fonts back under control.

Think of CL2 as using 'legacy' toolkits for its production. One of these days I'll be able to switch over to something more modern.

Last edited:
You're running a 4K or otherwise Hi-DPI screen, right?

Try bringing up the Windows Preferences menu for the CL2 exe file and going to the Compatibility tab - Override Hi-DPI Scaling Behaviour like so...

https://i.imgur.com/Yv6lEpf.png

It'll be one of those options of Application, System, or System (Enhanced) which might work to bring those pesky fonts back under control.

Think of CL2 as using 'legacy' toolkits for its production. One of these days I'll be able to switch over to something more modern.

You are correct, I am running 4K and your suggestion fixed the problem, thank you very much.

Cheers,
Mark

So quick question about the planet bookmarks. Didn't get chance to try yet (have landed and noted the coordinates updating :)) but are these addable only for planets you're currently or specifically known to you (well...CL)?

Maybe I'm better pitching an idea...
Being on an expedition at the moment (DECE) the base camp coordinates get published a few days or weeks ahead of time by the scouts. It would be awesome to be able to add these coordinates into CL so when we arrive and scan the planet, the base camp is known so we be directed towards it.

I don't know how bookmarks are handled (yet) but if there were multiple on a body, perhaps a mini list could pop up and something magical like 'Alt & arrow up/down' could be used to choose the one you want without necessarily losing control of the ship.

The prepopulating bookmarks idea also gives rise to extension.....export/import options for easy sharing between Cmdr's, and maybe having them stored and read from EDSM (restricted to expedition organisers perhaps for the storing and obviously EDSM needs to be extended for this).

Loving the new versions of Captains Log, (just returned to the game after a year away, and the improvements to this application are astonishing).

Quite interested in the planet bookmarks, though I have yet to find anything worthy of them to test them on. What I'm more curious about though is if its possible to extend that coordinate system to cover planetary rings?
Reading some of the other threads about mining, it seems that the contents of planetary rings are persistent, so being able to book mark lucrative coordinates would be very very useful. :)

So quick question about the planet bookmarks. Didn't get chance to try yet (have landed and noted the coordinates updating :)) but are these addable only for planets you're currently or specifically known to you (well...CL)?

Maybe I'm better pitching an idea...
Being on an expedition at the moment (DECE) the base camp coordinates get published a few days or weeks ahead of time by the scouts. It would be awesome to be able to add these coordinates into CL so when we arrive and scan the planet, the base camp is known so we be directed towards it.

I don't know how bookmarks are handled (yet) but if there were multiple on a body, perhaps a mini list could pop up and something magical like 'Alt & arrow up/down' could be used to choose the one you want without necessarily losing control of the ship.

The prepopulating bookmarks idea also gives rise to extension.....export/import options for easy sharing between Cmdr's, and maybe having them stored and read from EDSM (restricted to expedition organisers perhaps for the storing and obviously EDSM needs to be extended for this).

Currently you can only add bookmarks to landable planets already known to CL2.

You would have to manually add the star system name, then the planet name, then the planet data (e.g. radius and all the rest) before being able to add bookmarks. And that'd be horribly cumbersome and laborious. I'd also need to design a UI for that, plus write the UI glue code and the necessary code to bung that data to the Galaxy database.

Then you could add as many bookmarks per landable planet as you want.

I hear you about the mini list pop-up. I thought of that one already but didn't have the time to include something like that (had a similar idea for selecting planets too) - it was hard work getting the lat/lon bookmarking system added (as you could probably see from the changelist ;) ) as well as retro-fitting the new Status.json feed to the previously manual-entry-only Bearing & Distance Calculator :)

But yeah - it would take a bit of work to produce some kind of manual adding of a system + system bodies thingy. It's certainly possible though.

I am pondering having Captain's Log communicate with my own server with a back-end database for transferring data between CL2 clients, although perhaps I could do this via EDSM in some way.

I like all of the stuff you're saying, but yeah it'd take quite a lot of work to achieve :)

Loving the new versions of Captains Log, (just returned to the game after a year away, and the improvements to this application are astonishing).

Quite interested in the planet bookmarks, though I have yet to find anything worthy of them to test them on. What I'm more curious about though is if its possible to extend that coordinate system to cover planetary rings?
Reading some of the other threads about mining, it seems that the contents of planetary rings are persistent, so being able to book mark lucrative coordinates would be very very useful. :)

Ring systems do not have any kind of coordinate system in the game, so there is nothing to work with to accomplish something like that.

You would have to manually add the star system name, then the planet name, then the planet data (e.g. radius and all the rest) before being able to add bookmarks. And that'd be horribly cumbersome and laborious. I'd also need to design a UI for that, plus write the UI glue code and the necessary code to bung that data to the Galaxy database.

I think it could only be for bodies scanned and pushed to EDSM. So system and body names can be searchable from EDSM, much like the set destination is done now.
I think you only need to store the co-ords up front. When we arrive in system and scan the body, all radius etc becomes known to CL and it can then calculate headings etc. This calculation only makes sense as we enter orbit, so knowing the radius beforehand ought not be needed. The bookmark is just a pair of arbitrary numbers until we get there.

The programme is awesome already :D
Just tossing ideas around really :)

I think it could only be for bodies scanned and pushed to EDSM. So system and body names can be searchable from EDSM, much like the set destination is done now.
I think you only need to store the co-ords up front. When we arrive in system and scan the body, all radius etc becomes known to CL and it can then calculate headings etc. This calculation only makes sense as we enter orbit, so knowing the radius beforehand ought not be needed. The bookmark is just a pair of arbitrary numbers until we get there.

The programme is awesome already :D
Just tossing ideas around really :)

Ideas are always appreciated :)

Great app. Thank you

One thing ....... If I click on the icon for what materials are available for FSD boost etc, in the right side panel that appears it is telling me I have non of the materials needed available on board........ But I have
Am I doing something wrong ?

Great app. Thank you

One thing ....... If I click on the icon for what materials are available for FSD boost etc, in the right side panel that appears it is telling me I have non of the materials needed available on board........ But I have
Am I doing something wrong ?

Not really - it might be that I've coded this so far to only update when loading the game (the game has a journal entry which tells you how much mats you have when you start a game)

I'll check on that. Honestly can't remember offhand if I coded it to update when you pick up materials -- I'm sure I did! -- but there may have been changes in the Player Journal which I need to take into account which affected CL2. At the moment I've been fixing various bugs with 2.1.7 and have just released 2.1.8 beta 1 for testing which fixes a few bugs, for which I'll be making a post about in this thread.

Captain's Log 2.1.8 beta 1 Released For Testing, Contains Bugfixes & Enhancements

Download the beta from : https://www.dropbox.com/s/giudk6jwd1ed40o/Captain's Log 2_2.1.8 beta 1_setup.exe?dl=1

Report bugs to the CL2 Discord, invite link in my signature. Use #beta_bug_reports channel.

Changelogs

- BUGFIX : don't update overlay Lat/Lon entryboxes whilst checking for their validity, as this overwrites values being manually input, and is annoying.
- BUGFIX : changed BookmarkCurrentCoordsBtn from a QToolbutton to a QPushbutton, so that the following bugifx can be made...
- BUGFIX : set overlay BookmarkCurrentCoordsBtn setDefault() as False. This overrides the default Qt behaviour of triggering a pushbutton when RETURN is pressed in a Line Edit widget. This will prevent spurious additions of a lat/lon bookmark being added when trying to manually enter target lat/lon coords from the overlay.
- BUGFIX : added functions specifically to handle when Bearing & Distance Lat/Lon coords are manually entered, such that this is what updates their overlay counterparts rather than constantly updating them during validation. Derp.
- ENHANCEMENT : add an Overlays tab to the Configuration Manager
- ENHANCEMENT : make Autohiding the overlay when docked, optional.
- ENHANCEMENT : save/load the Autohiding Overlay when docked option to/from the INI configuration file.
- redesigned the way Galaxy db sessions get created. They now get created from a single Engine rather from new Engines-per-session-request.
- removed some old unused variables
- BUGFIX : use own DBINTERFACE when populating the trip db table, and make sure all sessions are closed and engines are switched off.
- moved the TripTotal class to its own module
- removed the TripTotal class from the V2DBInterface module
- BUGFIX : instead of having TripTotal check for the existence of a Trip database or checking to see if it can get DBsessions, why not do those checks BEFORE even starting a TripTotal thread.
- BUGFIX : now able to delete a trip db which was previously loaded, after switching to a new db
- BUGFIX : DockStateChanged (renamed from Docked) signal no longer expects a Boolean value to be transmitted within the signal.
- This release configured as a beta release, meaning it will not check for new versions.
- Version bumped to 2.1.8 beta 1

Not really - it might be that I've coded this so far to only update when loading the game (the game has a journal entry which tells you how much mats you have when you start a game)

I'll check on that. Honestly can't remember offhand if I coded it to update when you pick up materials -- I'm sure I did! -- but there may have been changes in the Player Journal which I need to take into account which affected CL2. At the moment I've been fixing various bugs with 2.1.7 and have just released 2.1.8 beta 1 for testing which fixes a few bugs, for which I'll be making a post about in this thread.

Thank you. It's not a huge problem at all.
It really is a brilliant prog.
Setting off in my first exploration , this will help massively

Hi.

I'd like to report that after upgrading to E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, CL is not behaving well.

1. Having already installed CL 2.1.7, i executed it while i was upgrading E: D to 3.0. I tried it 2 times, both times it froze after loading the whole database. I assume it froze while trying to determine whether E: D was running or not, but i can't be sure. I don't really expect anything to be done about it since it occurred during E: D's upgrade process (which is rather strange time to execute CL), but i report it just in case...

2. A few minutes ago, after closing E: D, CL was still open. Instead of closing the overlay window and open the normal one, it just froze (again) and i had to kill it. That was the 2nd time it happened (it happened yesterday too).

I don't remember having freezes with 2.1.6, so perhaps some checks need to be done here. In general, while playing E: D i faced no issue with CL. When opening or closing E: D, the freezing issues occur.

P.S.: I tried ALT+C (which IIRC should switch between the overlay and normal windows) but it didn't seem to work...

Last edited:
Hi.

I'd like to report that after upgrading to E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, CL is not behaving well.

1. Having already installed CL 2.1.7, i executed it while i was upgrading E: D to 3.0. I tried it 2 times, both times it froze after loading the whole database. I assume it froze while trying to determine whether E: D was running or not, but i can't be sure. I don't really expect anything to be done about it since it occurred during E: D's upgrade process (which is rather strange time to execute CL), but i report it just in case...

2. A few minutes ago, after closing E: D, CL was still open. Instead of closing the overlay window and open the normal one, it just froze (again) and i had to kill it. That was the 2nd time it happened (it happened yesterday too).

I don't remember having freezes with 2.1.6, so perhaps some checks need to be done here. In general, while playing E: D i faced no issue with CL. When opening or closing E: D, the freezing issues occur.

P.S.: I tried ALT+C (which IIRC should switch between the overlay and normal windows) but it didn't seem to work...

This also happened to me today. First time for me.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi.

This also happened to me today. First time for me.

Cheers,
Mark

I'm in the process of making a 2.1.8 release which fixes quite a few bugs (and probably introduces more bugs) - see the beta 1 announcement a few posts above.

I'll be producing beta releases of 2.1.8 until all nasties have been wiped out - beta 1 already contains a lot of fixes for stuff. You might try using that.

Note that you should always be keeping a backup of your CL2 databases before running a new version as well :) - I try to broadcast that bit of advice in as many ways as possible :)

Regards o7

Hi
Do I need to create a new DB each time I start ED or should the prog just update the existing DB as I start each session in the game

Hi
Do I need to create a new DB each time I start ED or should the prog just update the existing DB as I start each session in the game

The concept is that each DB represents a Trip - a Trip is an exploration trip you've embraked upon.

So, if you've decided to go off into the Void, exploring, then you'd usually create a Trip DB to record the star systems you have visited from start to finish.

If you then decide to go out off on another trip, you'd then create a new trip db.

Hope that helps!

The concept is that each DB represents a Trip - a Trip is an exploration trip you've embraked upon.

So, if you've decided to go off into the Void, exploring, then you'd usually create a Trip DB to record the star systems you have visited from start to finish.

If you then decide to go out off on another trip, you'd then create a new trip db.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the reply.
I understand that but I'm making a trip to the core via a few Nebula , I can't do this in one sitting as I need to sleep at some point :).

Top Bottom