Guardian Obelisk Pictograms - Confirmed

Not quite as difficult as it might seem, but the Obelisks now display pictograms of the items required for a successful scan.
They are as follows:

Guradian_Pictograms.jpg

I've been able to confirm these scanning known Obelisks at various Ruins sites. Most are pretty obvious, but a couple can be a little confusing at first.

Well done! Does this have any effect or use at the new Structures Obelisks? I know we can sometimes get a data fragment for Guardian tech from them but does this unveil anything else?

You need to have the ram tah "decoding ancient ruins" mission active.

I do have that mission active, which is what enabled me to confirm the pictograms. Obelisks at the new Guardian Sites have not yet yielded any new data however. I have, however, only been able to test a couple of these, but it is possible these will, at some point, yield new data.

Yikes. The AIs of the obelisks have worked out that we're trying to get data from them and started helping us. That means they want us to have it, and we know nothing about their motivations. Suddenly I feel like a lab rat.

Not quite as difficult as it might seem, but the Obelisks now display pictograms of the items required for a successful scan.
They are as follows:

https://s5.postimg.org/em6bzs0iv/Guradian_Pictograms.jpg

I've been able to confirm these scanning known Obelisks at various Ruins sites. Most are pretty obvious, but a couple can be a little confusing at first.

Mah dude - be blessed!
I've been searching my !#@ off for this info all day yesterday.
Thank you.

+100

Excuse my ignorance but are these only displayed at the new sites or do all the obelisks now display these pictograms? (meaning we now have a chance of doing some or all of Ram Tah's decoding mission without having to refer to some massive external spreadsheet which shows what things you need to carry at which obelisks).

And, if so ...

Were the obelisks supposed to display these all along? was there a further layer of obfuscation between what was shown and what was wanted (a code)? or was what was shown simply random and meaningless (I'm sure I saw that stated at one point last year).

Sorry, I gave up following the Guardian decoding thing a long time ago when I a) basically got the gist and b) thought "stuff that for a game of soldiers"!

A more complete image to help decoding ancient ruins - found it useful
https://i.imgur.com/fRbkbhI.png

I've heard tale of Sensor and Link picograms, but I have not yet noted any Obelisks displaying these. Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance but are these only displayed at the new sites or do all the obelisks now display these pictograms? (meaning we now have a chance of doing some or all of Ram Tah's decoding mission without having to refer to some massive external spreadsheet which shows what things you need to carry at which obelisks).

And, if so ...

Were the obelisks supposed to display these all along? was there a further layer of obfuscation between what was shown and what was wanted (a code)? or was what was shown simply random and meaningless (I'm sure I saw that stated at one point last year).

Sorry, I gave up following the Guardian decoding thing a long time ago when I a) basically got the gist and b) thought "stuff that for a game of soldiers"!

I have not yet confirmed this, but will do so this evening.

I do know that at least one system with a Guardian Site in it also has a couple of Ancient Ruins on the same planet, and these do display the pictograms, and the layouts do conform to known and documented Obelisk patterns as documented by the Cannon group. I've also heard that many of the old sites have been altered once again, but I have not yet confirmed this. Stay tuned for further updates.

One thing I find particularly curious, looking at the pictograms, is the manner in which they are formed - from patterns of triangles. The Obelisk formations themselves are also made of similar patterns of triangles - which makes me wonder, if we were to reproduce these patterns in the sort of layout as the pictograms, if we might not see additional patterns emerge.

Equally curious - the fact that there are pictograms for Thargoid Sensors and Links... given the age of the Guardian Ruins and these Obelisks, this more than just suggests some connection between the Guardians and Thargoids - something I've long since suspected to exist.

Last edited:
One thing I find particularly curious, looking at the pictograms, is the manner in which they are formed - from patterns of triangles. The Obelisk formations themselves are also made of similar patterns of triangles - which makes me wonder, if we were to reproduce these patterns in the sort of layout as the pictograms, if we might not see additional patterns emerge.

Equally curious - the fact that there are pictograms for Thargoid Sensors and Links... given the age of the Guardian Ruins and these Obelisks, this more than just suggests some connection between the Guardians and Thargoids - something I've long since suspected to exist.

And the AEGIS symbol is a triangle

9z64tbx.jpg

And so is the 'waiting to upload data' symbol at stations :eek:

Last edited:
Brilliant thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for as I'm out doing the Ram Tah mission and found Route 2s ruins have changed, this will make it much easier to check if you can still find all the data in the same sites just in different obelisks.

Just tried these on an obelisk in COL 173 SECTOR OE-P D6-11 that looked like it wanted Casket & Urn and got a fail message from Ram Tah. So most likely that one bugged post update.

Thank you! Been looking for this.
Does anybody else have Guardian Vessel blue prints or know what they're for? I have one...

Got 3 myself. No idea yet, but with the new data and material storage, I guess I don't have to care, they don't get in the way of picking up anything else.

Hopefully they'll be needed to make our own, controllable Sentinels to cruise around planets with - you know that would be awesome.

FYI: I discovered this heading off to one of the original ruin systems to get 2 of each type of Item for this...the new Structure Sites are there as well!

Curious, anyone figured out what the the total payout is yet?

EDIT: Going to run a test and see if the old ruins spit out anything new with this mission. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Where. What data did it have?

I don't recall the location.. it was one of those where there was 2 ancient site next to a guardian site (am sure there are many) after I did the guardian site - I went to the ancient sites and started scanning. I was using the new galaxy map for finding sites and going from site to site.

IIRC correctly, guardian blueprints are not meant to drop from Ancient ruin sites (Sandro posted in a bug report?) and this will be fixed in a few weeks, so don't rush to conclusions about them appearing during Ram's mission.

As for the pictographs, I've seen them too (post 3.0) at the ancient ruins on Vela Dark Region KR-W C1-24 7C, which also gave me (erroneously) guardian blueprints.

Top Bottom