Who is the Design Team?

I'm struggling to understand how Elite Dangerous has fallen down this path of wave after wave of design choices that frustrate players and waste time. The last few months have been awkward, and embarrassing. How is Elite Dangerous designed in terms of understanding what constitutes game-play? i.e. what makes a game feature or concept FUN in its most basic form? Yes this is subjective to some extent, but there should always be a core element that if presented to the player, actually sparks some degree of willingness to engage instead of frustrate.

Who are the design team? Is it just one person struggling to deal with the sheer scope of the environment? Do they tie in with the programmers and actually spend time playing their own product? Between the sheer random nature of key functions in the game, often leaving players waiting literally hours for spawns, and the schism between the intention of "we don't want to waste your time.." (yes, that comment won't be forgotten, ever) and the reality of the experience, does something need to change to allow core game-play to actually present a reasonable balance to players?

I'm back out in the black, landed on some incredibly beautiful yellow rocky planet, powered down, silent, because right now, this is by far a more enjoyable (to me) path than the current, often incomprehensible choices being made by Frontier.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand how Elite Dangerous has fallen down this path of wave after wave of design choices that frustrate players and waste time. The last few months have been awkward, and embarrassing. How is Elite Dangerous designed in terms of understanding what constitutes game-play? i.e. what makes a game feature or concept FUN in its most basic form? Yes this is subjective so some extent, but there should always be a core element that if presented to the player, actually sparks some degree of willingness to engage instead of frustrate.

Who are the design team? Is it just one person struggling to deal with the sheer scope of the environment? Do they tie in with the programmers and actually spend time playing their own product? Between the sheer random nature of key functions in the game, often leaving players waiting literally hours for spawns, and the schism between the intention of "we don't want to waste your time.." (yes, that comment won't be forgotten, ever) and the reality of the experience, does something need to change to allow core game-play to actually present a reasonable balance to players?

I'm back out in the black, landed on some incredibly beautiful yellow rocky planet, powered down, silent, because right now, this is by far a more enjoyable (to me) path than the current, often incomprehensible choices being made by Frontier.

You think it is frustrating and time wasting. Lot of players disagree :)

There are group of designers, Sandro is just one of them. If you wait hours for spawns - you do it wrong or it is a bug.

Last edited:
Sounds like Elite didn't live up to your expectations.

Totally get that - that's how I felt about Sea of Thieves and why I canceled my pre-order.

In the end, Elite is the game FDev made.

And it's now a fairly mature game, so I wouldn't expect to see a complete overhaul of the game (ever.)

While many enjoy it, its definitely not for everyone. Same is true of SoT.

I know it can be disappointing, because quite honestly there aren't a lot of choices out there when it comes to open world space ship flying games.

But I think it would be better to admit their vision and yours is different, than seemingly berating them?

The fact is, Elite has a healthy player base of those who do enjoy playing it.

And Elite offers something the competition doesn't: Stable framerates with full multiplayer support and availability on three platforms.

The competition doesn't yet come close.

Star Citizen is PC Alpha only, and 3.0 has very poor framerates

No Man Sky is said to be coming to XBOX, but doesn't have proper MP support on any platform today

Did I miss a game? Trust me, I've search for quite awhile and have yet to find one, but that doesn't mean it's not out there :)

Fly Safe (and play games you enjoy!)

o7

Grey

PS - While 3.x has brought a large number of bugs, if history is any guide the good folks at FDev will stomp them all out in good time - they always have.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand how Elite Dangerous has fallen down this path of wave after wave of design choices that frustrate players and waste time.

While I agree with your premise that ED is suffering from some bad game design and very annoying bugs, knowing who or understand why won't change anything. All we can do is report those bugs, make suggestions, and share our grievances with hope that Frontier developers care enough to fix what's broken.

I'm struggling to understand how Elite Dangerous has fallen down this path of wave after wave of design choices that frustrate players and waste time. The last few months have been awkward, and embarrassing. How is Elite Dangerous designed in terms of understanding what constitutes game-play? i.e. what makes a game feature or concept FUN in its most basic form? Yes this is subjective to some extent, but there should always be a core element that if presented to the player, actually sparks some degree of willingness to engage instead of frustrate.

Our game has had a new Executive Director. Has anyone heard a peep from him ....... ever ?

Our game has had a new Executive Director. Has anyone heard a peep from him ....... ever ?

Why would anybody need to hear him? He is manager who keeps money flows in check :) I would definitely go "uhh ohh" if I heard him to get ready to say something :D

I think it's Eagleboy, he's on the board 24/7 defending the design.

Check my post history. I am sometimes for months off ;)

Also not all design. There are things that I don't like or want to see be improved.

It doesn't appear to be designed from a perspective of what would constitute fun gameplay, unfortunately. It appears more to be designed from a perspective of long-term feature addition 'goals', and from a 'player activities' (i.e. giving players things to do) perspective.
If it was designed from a perspective of adding fun gameplay, then we would already have fun gameplay, e.g. heist missions, canyon/trench run missions, proper assassination and stealth missions... things like this. Imaginative (though not original) gameplay ideas designed to take advantage of all the brilliant game mechanics (flight/stealth/docking/scooping/combat/etc.) that FDev originally designed.

If it was designed from a perspective of adding fun gameplay, then we would already have fun gameplay, e.g. heist missions, canyon/trench run missions, proper assassination and stealth missions... things like this. Imaginative (though not original) gameplay ideas designed to take advantage of all the brilliant game mechanics (flight/stealth/docking/scooping/combat/etc.) that FDev originally designed.

Imagination is always nicer than reality. If you really think that designers have though about such ideas, then no, they most likely have. As always, different goals/targets/time/money/other reasons.

As a player I want all things, as someone involved in other development I just know these things doesn't come as easy as many people think.

Last edited:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,..You are still logging on to the game and enjoying it. This is good game design.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,..FDev shares increased Q4 2017, this is indicative of successful business practice.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,..

Why would anybody need to hear him? He is manager who keeps money flows in check :) I would definitely go "uhh ohh" if I heard him to get ready to say something :D

Do you HAVE to comment a counterpoint to absolutely everything anyone posts ? :rolleyes:

Actually, the correct title of Michael Brookes was Executive Producer .... who was replaced by ..... (whoever) ....

This is what Michael had to say about this role:

For those unfamiliar with the role, what exactly are the responsibilities of an Executive Producer?
An Executive Producer is someone who is responsible for the project as a whole. As well as planning they act as a conduit between the different disciplines. Traditionally they are the go-between for the developer and the publisher, in Elite's case it's also about keeping an eye on fan feedback. I also work closely with David to ensure that we're hitting what he wants.

Part of a producer's job is to be on top of everything. I'm always reviewing and contributing to design as a lot of it is also part of the fiction. The same goes for art, programming and audio. I don't contribute directly to those disciplines, but I am involved in the process.

Notice the part about fan feedback?

My Python is floating somewhere in the bubble

Hope my pilot has food. Its been a few weeks and so far zero intention of going back for now.

Waiting for the C&P to smarten up

For those unfamiliar with the role, what exactly are the responsibilities of an Executive Producer?
An Executive Producer is someone who is responsible for the project as a whole. As well as planning they act as a conduit between the different disciplines. Traditionally they are the go-between for the developer and the publisher, in Elite's case it's also about keeping an eye on fan feedback. I also work closely with David to ensure that we're hitting what he wants.

Part of a producer's job is to be on top of everything. I'm always reviewing and contributing to design as a lot of it is also part of the fiction. The same goes for art, programming and audio. I don't contribute directly to those disciplines, but I am involved in the process.

Notice the part about fan feedback?

This interview were done in early days when Michael Brookes was hands on man for FD for Elite. He was guy who responded on KS requests, and so on and so forth.

These days that's done by community team.

I understand what the OP is meaning. For a good respawn you have to relog and break down the whole atmosphere ED has. I know... perfect design!

I think it would make sense to start more Polls by the Devs or invite some guys from the community for some good suggestions. It's time to change some design elements of the game!

Last edited:
Top Bottom