why is it with EVERY Nvidia update or FD update I...........?

OK, for a year now i have had a Rift, and after a huge amount of time 'Fiddling', 'Tinkering' and trying out everyone else's setting FINALLY get my desired settings, and input them into the hugly fantastic app Dr Kaii Profile editor.

So EVERY Nvidia GPU driver update, and a fair few FDev upgrades have had then to reduce slowly my settings to a worse setting just to achieve the same stability and FPS. This latest Nvidia update brought back the judder/stutter, so had to reduce now down to high on everything from mostly ultra, and a setting of SS .85 and HMD of 1.0, when the best i had these settings was Ultra almost everything, SS at 1.25 and HMD at 1.75. I was getting great stability and 90FPS, now if i run the game at these settings it just dies!

I have every setting change as a new profile and have so far got 7 different profiles and all of them are ever decreasing settings!!

No Hardware has been changed at all in this time!!

Can anyone point a finger at WHY this is happening. At this rate i will need VOLTA just to run what my 1080Ti was quite happily running 8-10 months ago

The last one kinda fudged something for me as well. After playing for a bit I had to lower settings a bit to clear up the ASW issues when in the menus and near the surface of planets.

This gets on my nerves. Happens with my phone updates to. and my car insurance come to think of it.

Basically it's this concept - it is working fine prior to the update; well we have decided to update the software to improve it, but there are lots of new things that you won't actually need that is slowing your hardware down. So basically it's doing the old stuff much, much, MUCH! more efficiently than it ever did but the new stuff you didn't want is slowing it down. In order to run this extra stuff you will need to upgrade your hardware and it just so happens we are having a sale/here's a voucher for your trouble - ad-infinitum

Update::

Gone back to 388.71 drivers and all is well again. Damn you Nvidia, stop releasing updates which have bugs in them......Hang on a minute here, Hmmmmmm (Me thinks while scratching head, ) You work closely with a game company in Cambridge UK do you? as they release updates with bugs in.........??? No, ah well just a thought ;)

OK, for a year now i have had a Rift, and after a huge amount of time 'Fiddling', 'Tinkering' and trying out everyone else's setting FINALLY get my desired settings, and input them into the hugly fantastic app Dr Kaii Profile editor.

So EVERY Nvidia GPU driver update, and a fair few FDev upgrades have had then to reduce slowly my settings to a worse setting just to achieve the same stability and FPS. This latest Nvidia update brought back the judder/stutter, so had to reduce now down to high on everything from mostly ultra, and a setting of SS .85 and HMD of 1.0, when the best i had these settings was Ultra almost everything, SS at 1.25 and HMD at 1.75. I was getting great stability and 90FPS, now if i run the game at these settings it just dies!

I have every setting change as a new profile and have so far got 7 different profiles and all of them are ever decreasing settings!!

No Hardware has been changed at all in this time!!

Can anyone point a finger at WHY this is happening. At this rate i will need VOLTA just to run what my 1080Ti was quite happily running 8-10 months ago

Ok, I guarantee this will work.....

1. Copy your custom.binds to another machine (USB stick/Network drive) so you can copy them back when finished.
2. Re-install Windows 10 (a refresh will do)
3. Install Nvidia drivers version 388.59 (the Oculus recommended drivers)
4. Install the Oculus software
5. Install Elite Dangerous
6. copy your saved custom.binds to ED
7. Install any HOTAS drivers or utilities used for ED

It worked for me. Id already tried every other suggestion on the internet, but I still got horrible stutters and tracking flashes. Only the above worked. I'm using an i7 67k, 16GB Ram, SSD, GTX970

I now run ED buttery smooth with no stutters or tracking flashes on VR Medium.

Ok, I guarantee this will work.....

1. Copy your custom.binds to another machine (USB stick/Network drive) so you can copy them back when finished.
2. Re-install Windows 10 (a refresh will do)
3. Install Nvidia drivers version 388.59 (the Oculus recommended drivers)
4. Install the Oculus software
5. Install Elite Dangerous
6. copy your saved custom.binds to ED
7. Install any HOTAS drivers or utilities used for ED

It worked for me. Id already tried every other suggestion on the internet, but I still got horrible stutters and tracking flashes. Only the above worked. I'm using an i7 67k, 16GB Ram, SSD, GTX970

I now run ED buttery smooth with no stutters or tracking flashes on VR Medium.

It's 2) that I'm concerned with... just how much stuff am I going to have to reinstall after that?

It's 2) that I'm concerned with... just how much stuff am I going to have to reinstall after that?

That depends on how much you play ED. If ED is just another VR game then don't bother and just play it flat. The problem with playing games in VR is its power hungry in the extreme and doesn't tolerate a ton of crap that gets installed and just robs the system of process power. All those 'Office' and system tools/utilities/iTunes etc etc that gets installed eats away at your processing power which in turn interferes with the high data rates needed for sensors & those 2 extra screens inside the HMD. Add to that several months/years of partial updates and drive fragmentation and you get what you're seeing.

I have a dedicated laptop I use for General purpose use, it has all the stuff I DONT install on my VR/Games PC. e.g Printers, Office apps, Email, Cloud crap, etc, etc.

As little as possible.
Keep the bloatware down.

Also i recommend using the windows media creation tool, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO, This will give you an up to date image to install.
No need to spend the next twelve hours downloading and installing windows updates only to have sone feature update get confused and slow the system down again.

This has happened to me more than once. And was a frequent issue all the way back to windows Xp.

Well, fortunately, for now, doing everything but Step 2 has worked well for me. :)

I've stripped away as many unnecessary programs as well, tried to clean up the system as much as possible, and following the other 6 steps got my VR back the way it was. I reckon I'll have to do it every time there's an ED update, though.

Top Bottom