Atmospheric Landings is Not Coming Early 2019

During the Twitch stream Bisquiz and Biscuit Review! at 01:58:00 Edward Lewis was asked "is atmospheric landings planned for early 2019?" Ed said: "Early 2019 is way sooner than you think it's gonna be. This is 2018 now, you'd be surprised how soon that's gonna come. I've got nothing to announce, but keep asking because we like to know at Frontier Developments. Keep letting us know what you want and what you're interested in. Because that's the only way that we can tell that people are excited."

I though we'd get a basic version of atmospheric landing as a DLC in the first half of 2019. So it seems like it's not coming until Q4 2019 or later.

As for space legs, Ed had nothing to announce.

Last edited:
Atmospheric landing is part of Horizons. I'm not going to pay for it on top of that.

Also, I think development of atmospheric landings can get released in tiers. Every release adds more function, effects and gameplay elements of atmospheres, starting with thin, lifeless, dry planets and then increasing details with liquids, clouds, weather, hazardous and lethal environments and at the final last life in more and more complex ecosystems.

Honestly, I would expect this to take a few years for the last part to ship.

Spacelegs, however, I fully expect to be a full priced expansion that will have its own development cycles for additional content.

Atmospheric landing is part of Horizons. I'm not going to pay for it on top of that.

Planetary landings on airless, rocky bodies is part of Horizons.

Also, I think development of atmospheric landings can get released in tiers. Every release adds more function, effects and gameplay elements of atmospheres, starting with thin, lifeless, dry planets and then increasing details with liquids, clouds, weather, hazardous and lethal environments and at the final last life in more and more complex ecosystems.

Yeah that makes sense.

To be fair he didn't say atmo landing not coming, just nothing to announce.
This is a non-denial denial, denial. OP ought to get a job with the tabloids?

"Early 2019 is way sooner than you think it's gonna be" implies early 2019 is too soon. He also empathized that time passes quickly. That means they likely need more time to develop it.

Last edited:
Ed saying he has nothing to announce means nothing in the context of Elite: Dangerous. FDev consistently under-promises; the problem is that community expectations tend to run away. Atmospheric landings is not part of Horizons, and it's not part of Beyond, but there's nothing to stop FDev releasing new (possibly paid for) content to allow limited atmospheric landings. It probably wouldn't be a big step to have atmospheric landings on barren planets: it'll be mainly some graphical changes, and perhaps a few new forms of plant life.

Landing on Earthlikes must still be some way off, because those planets need a lot of work to add sufficient content if it's going to be done right. And I'd (speaking personally) I'd prefer to wait and get a richer experience than to have a rushed job.

"Early 2019 is way sooner than you think it's gonna be" implies early 2019 is too soon. He also empathized that time passes quickly. That means they likely need more time to develop it.

That's the denial bit of the non-denial denial
Denying that is a denial of any information from which you will be denied!

I think Capt. Cmdr. Hook might have it right on this one. [up]

Atmo is explicitly not part of horizons, its cheap to demand years of additional work for free.

You got a source for that? And I already paid for Horizons, so it's definitely not free.

The only thing I remember on that part, is an old newsletter that is likely obsolete.
https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=1824c0b05a

Highlighted the important context.

We do intend to release small, free updates after launch, but expansions that include significant new features and content will be charged for separately. For example, our current roadmap is to add (in no particular order):

• Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players

Interestingly, it doesn't specifically say atmospheric worlds in the list — just "richly detailed surfaces"...whatever that means.

Atmo is explicitly not part of horizons, its cheap to demand years of additional work for free.

You got a source for that? And I already paid for Horizons, so it's definitely not free.

Here's your source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...OUS-HORIZONS?p=2640469&viewfull=1#post2640469

Michael Brookes confirmed back in 2015 that Horizons would not offer landings on Atmospheric planets. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to pay for the feature though. There's lots of content that has been added in the Horizons era that non-Horizons players get to share. No doubt that future paid expansions will also have some bleed over to those who haven't paid for the upgrade.

"Nothing to announce. Good question though, keep asking us." Sure, but we'd actually love an answer for once. :p

These questions are pointless, for obvious reasons Ed wouldn't give anything away in a stream like this.

Here's your source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...OUS-HORIZONS?p=2640469&viewfull=1#post2640469

Michael Brookes confirmed back in 2015 that Horizons would not offer landings on Atmospheric planets. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to pay for the feature though. There's lots of content that has been added in the Horizons era that non-Horizons players get to share. No doubt that future paid expansions will also have some bleed over to those who haven't paid for the upgrade.

I think the big take away is that when and if atmo landings do come, they'll likely come with more planetary mechanics, possibly even elite feet bundled. Atmos landings alone, won't sell as many expansion copies as landings + excursion.

Hopefully in 3 or 4 years we wont have to wait Frontier to throw us a little communication bone as to if they will release some of the much waited features. And hopefully we wont have to hear any more childish nonsense like "if the players use it, then we will develop further".

So yes judging from the incredibly slow development, hopefully, 2019 will NOT be a year for frontier atmospheric landings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom