Remote release flechette launcher .. or confetti cannons

So yeah, I have tested them as some others before and I make it quick:

They are confetti cannons. No damage whatsoever. Even a C1F pulse laser is more effective at everything.

The upsides:

- They can deal damage through shields

The downsides:

- Little to no damage
- 550 m/s shot speed (which is exceeded by quite a lot of ships)
- Can be shot down by PDTs
- Ignore velocity of firing ship
- Can damage yourself
- Small explosion radius
- Repels from objects instead of detonating

So you can see, there is absolutely no point in using them.
Their damage is 13 per shot and their total ammo count is 72+1 ... which equals to a total damage of 936 damage ... and only 50% of that is a guaranteed breach damage.
Considering your opponent has no MRPs, you technically *could* shoot out someone's weapons and/or thrusters but since its shot speed is only 550 m/s it is barely going to hit anything.

Even with possible engineering blueprints and effects I doubt this confetti cannon will be of any use.
To solve this issue, I'd suggest to tweak just a hand full of values for the next major update.

1. Double its shot speed to 1100 m/s. A flak needs to hit and this is only possible if the shot speed is higher than your opponent's flight speed, not lower.
2. Double the explosion radius. I can see the particles inside my cockpit and yet I am not damaged ... neither is my opponent.
3. Increase the ammo capacity to atleast 250 rounds.
4. Instant detonation upon direct hit with damage addition of 50% more (so you get rewarded for direct hits more instead of being punished by replling shots).
5. Allow engineering.
6. Increase raw damage by 200% from 13 to 39 while keeping the breach damage at 6.5/shot.

This should make it a little more relyable and a nice and unique weapon to use with the special effect of dealing module damage through shields and punish paper thin - no MRP shield tanks. Basically what a tarditional flak cannon is meant to be.
Larger ships are relatively unaffected due to their high armor hardness and seize of their modules.

EDIT: It's important to note to not take all proposed changes at once as it would be OP otherwise. Maybe take two for example increased shot speed (or adaptive speed in regards to ship speed) and higher ammo count.

Last edited:
They're mainly for Thargon swarms no?

(Plus I believe some pirates have found a sideline in hull damage through shields etc)

They're mainly for Thargon swarms no?

(Plus I believe some pirates have found a sideline in hull damage through shields etc)

No, there are two different ones. The FLAK launcher is for thargoids but the FLECHETTE launcher is for human ships. That said, FLECHETTE penetrates shields, FLAK doesn't.

They do have at least one purpose.

PARTY SHIP!!!!
Q9faGQ0.png

This should make it a little more relyable and a nice and unique weapon to use with the special effect of dealing module damage through shields and punish paper thin - no MRP shield tanks. Basically what a tarditional flak cannon is meant to be.
Larger ships are relatively unaffected due to their high armor hardness and seize of their modules.

Na'Qan uses them exactly like that against larger ships with success.

Can't exactly tell if those targets had undersized modules though.

Ii'm looking forward to unlocking the confetti cannons after seeing what a seriously skilful fellow imperial can do with them:
[video=youtube;Ot1G3m303ww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot1G3m303ww[/video]

Just an expert Python without point defence though.

It's somewhat frustrating when a weapon becomes completely useless once point defence is in the way, which is true for the majority of higher ranked targets.

I've only used them in beta, but they were useless for my PvE - since my rank means I mostly get high rank targets.

Just an expert Python without point defence though.

It's somewhat frustrating when a weapon becomes completely useless once point defence is in the way, which is true for the majority of higher ranked targets.

I've only used them in beta, but they were useless for my PvE - since my rank means I mostly get high rank targets.

Meh, I'm learning PDTs seem to kind of suck and many ships don't have PDTs at all, even CMDRs.
With a little practice it's much easier.

I'm dangerous/elite/elite so most of my targets are high level too.
I've used them on NPC elite large ships, but I didn't get so many modules to 0%.
That's the only reason I took the pic, and that was in the early learning phase.
Pretty much nothing was left except for the PP, the shield gen and what you see there.

That one actually took forever to kill because it was getting so cold and would drift off so I couldn't lock.
:D

That said, I do agree with most of the OP.

Sure, and that points to what I suspect you agree is the more meaty problem; hitpoint inflation.

That's another topic on whic hI highly agree, we have too many hitpoints. However, point stands that this weapon should recieve a minor buff for example higher shot speed. There is no point in using a weapon that ignores your own speed so you can fly faster than your own shots, eventually hitting nothing but yourself.

That's another topic on whic hI highly agree, we have too many hitpoints. However, point stands that this weapon should recieve a minor buff for example higher shot speed. There is no point in using a weapon that ignores your own speed so you can fly faster than your own shots, eventually hitting nothing but yourself.

Yes, I agree entirely on all of that.
It's a cool weapon with a lot of potential.

My comments are more along the lines of "It's a symptom of other problems" than disagreement.
Weapons and hitpoints are all over the place in general.
I'd like to see everything tightened up.

Top Bottom