How are you guys not losing tons of money?

If you need to start off, courier missions are a nice way.

But traditionally, Trading is the way to go. It's important to figure out which goods are cheap at one place and expensive at another.
In E:D it has been made easier through Rare Trading and CGs.

If you want to have it easy, follow the road to riches (exploration). Not much investment needed and all the worlds are near the bubble and not far apart from each other.

Also, passenger missions are a good way to earn money, but it requires to have a bit of reputation beforehand.

Bounty hunting requires a lot of investment and the assets need a long time until they are paid off. I don't recommend it for gaining money. Same as Combat Zones and Mining.

Eventually, you'll reach a point where money doesn't matter, it's only a by-product of doing what you want.

If you don't like trading and don't have the skills for combat, go exploring or do combat in asmall ship like a Viper or Eagle. Don't fly your Python in combat, seems like you really can't use it for combat. Exploring payouts have been increased.

Ah. An assassination mission?

They've changed the Mechanic. You don't scan random ships looking for your target (Which is a shame, 'cos I quite like that). What you do now is;-

1. Fly to the Target's system's nave point and scan the Nav Beacon
  2. Go to the planet or Point of interest the nav beacon mentions
  3. Fly around the planet/point of interest until you get a Mission Signal Source (can take a little while)
  4. Drop in to Mission Signal Source and destroy pirate.
  5. return to station and enjoy all those beautiful credits.

Hope that helps.

You gave good advice but it can be done (based on luck) even much more effcient:

Once you have scanned the nav beacon and got the message for the target location - do not leave the nav beacon right away. Just wait for 1-2 minutes. Often the target will just jump in to the nav beacon and you can fulfil your mission right there! Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But especially if the planet is far away (sometimes it can be very far away) it is definitly worth to wait and see...

Last edited:
Did you read the mission and what it asked you to do. Normally you need to scan the Nav Beacon or do an ADS scan to find your target.

THIS!

Ýou gave good advice but it can be done (based on luck) even much more effcient:

Once you have scanned the nav beacon and got the message for the target location - do not leave the nav beacon right away. Just wait for 1-2 minutes. Often the target will just jump in to the nav beacon and you can fulfil your mission right there! Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But especially if the planet is far away (sometimes it can be very far away) it is definitly worth to wait and see...

Thanks.
That is new info for me.
I will try that too.

Deleted member 140600

D
For now, E D is not the call of duty of the space. So, when you do something in this game, be very carefull, read all the texts and don't be too greedy...

Go to http://coriolis.io and post your load out.
After that people can give you tips how to outfit it properly and give some advice to engineering.

Pick your targets wisely, you don't want to fight big superior ships and you should be careful against small maneuverable ships. If you are not good at combat an Elite ranked Eagle with railguns can be more annoying than a harmless Anaconda, so look out for their ranks as well.

Do the training missions.

Try to get the police to help you. When you arrive at a nav beacon they are often not present yet and only come once some shooting took place.

Lastly keep an I out for smugglers, they are usually in a T6, T7 and easy targets if they don't happen to be in a wing.

I would advise not to do that assassination mission or anything like it in the ship you have. For any missions that involve combat, you need a ship fully rated for combat.

For easy money that involves shooting ships, go to a high resource extraction site and help the feds clean up the bad guys. With a KWS, you should be able to make around 5 mil per hour with a bad Python, provided that you're careful who you shoot. Use only pulse lasers to stay safer. If you get a bounty on yourself, immediately boost away and get out of there, then go immediately to the Interstellar Factor, to pay it off.

For an absolutely safe though very boring way to make around 10 mil per hour. Do a search for "Road to Riches", where you get a list of planets to scan. A Diamond back costing about 22 mil is what I'd use for that.

You can still make 40 to 50 mil per hour doing kill skimmer missions last time I heard. There are a lot of different techniques for doing them. Have a look at the various Youtube vids for guidance, but be aware that the number of missions has been nerfed, so unless it's a recent vid, the earnings will be inflated compared with what you can get now.

I keep my money by flying smaller, cheaper ships for the most part - and I have a LOT of money! I would especially recommend doing this when trying new types of missions that you're still getting familiar with. Since it sounds like combat is your interest, consider the Vipers or the Vulture. These ships have serious potential, especially properly loaded and engineered. My Viper III is still one of my favorite bounty hunting ships, and I own a battle 'Conda.

Also beware of the "A" rating trap. Not only do A rated modules cost WAY more than others, thus jacking up the rebuy of your ship, but often they are not the best choice. If you are pursuing combat missions, B-rated modules are actually much tougher, as they are the "heavy duty" version of the modules. Go for an A-rated power distributor, use D rated sensors and life support, and B rated power plant and thrusters. You may have to vary some of these depending on the ship you are using (I often have an A rated power plant and D rated thrusters for example), and Engineering can help compensate for any deficiencies a non-A rated module might have. Module and hull reinforcements can also be a great help.

Finally, learn how to 'get out of Dodge' when things start going south. High wake! "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day."

Last edited:
Take python to a station.

Buy a viper mk3

Upgrade it as best as possible in that station.

Use it to do the combat missions

Enjoy yourself, and appreciate the tiny rebuy.

When done, get back in python and do other stuff.

My guide to happiness.

Buy a viper mk3

My guide to happiness.

Great advice. You also learn good combat technique and if you die, it won't break the bank.

Buy a viper mk3

My guide to happiness.

Don't forget to engineer if you're already advanced in combat rank or your Viper Mk3 will take half an hour peashooting the occasional AI bulletsponge with engineered defense upgrades.

Jex =TE=

Banned
How we are not loosing money? Uhh.. simply said: We now how to do things in game.
Take your first example. So, you've got an assasination missions.

No, you either honk your disco-scanner, or you scann the nav-beacon. Then you get a mission update telling you where the target is. You go there, a mission-uss pops up, you drop in, eliminate the target, fly back home and get money. Takes ~10 minutes in total.

And I don't understand how you got shot down on a nav-beacon, flying a phyton.

The above is how FDev intended it to work, the OP is how it actually works.

Buy viper/vulture. (They have low rebuy)

Kit out ship. (Shields, shield cells)

Go to low/med Res site.

Help cops kill things for a while.

Upgrade to high Res.

Upgrade to haz rez.

Or try taking low ranked assassination missions to get the combat skills up. Using above advice about nav beacon scanning.

Good luck.

Git Gud.

Seriously though, if you are flying a lower spec Python you should focus on armoured trading or perhaps smuggling. I would advise you run data missions for an anarchy faction until you are allied and they start to offer big money for shifting their drugs. Try tipping them into boom and wait ...

I also saw some one tell you not to fly CG's in Open. This isnt good advice. You won't improve with no competition. Also the CG's are quiet enough. I was flying a T9 in and out if Lave and saw loads of other haulers too. The only interdictions I saw were the ones I did last night when I switched to my Pirate ship. I literally had to inject the "danger" into the CG myself.

*And to the Cmdr in the T7 who repeatedly beat me at the interdiction... Your tax exemption certificate will be rendered invalid next time we meet :D 07!

Top Bottom