First Great galactic census

Okay, i brought here the content, i hope you can take a look.
Very interesting project.

On data collection: the tick time moved with the release of 3.1 and is now at approximately 1545 UTC. Data collected within around an hour of the tick can be stale due to delays in tick propagation and caching. So your survey window will need adjusting in the guidance. With the production of EDDB data at a fixed time this reduces the time available for sampling, unfortunately.

If you repeat the exercise later, it may be worth using EDDN rather than EDDB as your data source - you would then be able to collect data over an entire tick cycle, rather than just a fraction of it, though you would need to set up your sampling a little differently.

OK, I was probably being dumb but I had a quick look at the Reddit last week and couldn't really work out what this was.

Then yesterday I finally got around to watching the video.

Terrific video ... but I still had no idea what this actually was.

Today I checked the ED newsletter and finally found out. So for others like me who are still confused here is the link that should probably have had top billing in the OP.

The Great Galactic Census

Very interesting project.

On data collection: the tick time moved with the release of 3.1 and is now at approximately 1545 UTC. Data collected within around an hour of the tick can be stale due to delays in tick propagation and caching. So your survey window will need adjusting in the guidance. With the production of EDDB data at a fixed time this reduces the time available for sampling, unfortunately.

If you repeat the exercise later, it may be worth using EDDN rather than EDDB as your data source - you would then be able to collect data over an entire tick cycle, rather than just a fraction of it, though you would need to set up your sampling a little differently.

Thank you most for pointing it out. It is right and now tick times are adjusted in the FAQ.

We would gladly use real-time data collection methods from EDDN but we were unaware where faction influence data were available in the network. Hybrid data collection is not an issue as our ecosystem already use our own SQL, now eddb.

Alec Turner said:
Terrific video ... but I still had no idea what this actually was.

Today I checked the ED newsletter and finally found out. So for others like me who are still confused here is the link that should probably have had top billing in the OP.
Thank you for the info. There actually is an "official" thread in the events section of the ED forums with links to the census site (we are disciplined and tried to post it to where it officially might belong), but I don't think most commanders (including our commanders) visiting the ED forums find anything there. Your kind help here is highly appreciated.

Top Bottom