Abandoned [RELEASE] EVA - Elite Virtual Assistant for iPhone/iPad (NO LONGER WORKING Jan 2020))

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Hi and thanks for this excellent app! Is anyone still using EDProxy now that it isn't being maintained anymore? Does it even work with EVA?

The answer's a bit more complicated than you might think!

Right now, EVA will use EDProxy if it's installed, to get instant updates when you change systems and dock. I recommend using it, but it's not essential. So far, so simple.

Unfortunately Frontier removed some key information, including cargo, from their API data some time ago and I'm still awaiting an answer from them on whether it was intentional or not despite having internal contacts and putting this as an "official" question. This affects EDProxy because the only way to get the cargo information is to use the journal data instead, which is only accessible from a file on your PC or Mac. I updated EDProxy some time ago to support this and have built the corresponding changes into the Android version of EVA. Since then I've simply not had time to do final testing of this, and move the changes to the iPad version of EVA. However, I am working steadily through things and will be putting this out as an update at some point.

Hi,

The answer's a bit more complicated than you might think!

Right now, EVA will use EDProxy if it's installed, to get instant updates when you change systems and dock. I recommend using it, but it's not essential. So far, so simple.

Unfortunately Frontier removed some key information, including cargo, from their API data some time ago and I'm still awaiting an answer from them on whether it was intentional or not despite having internal contacts and putting this as an "official" question. This affects EDProxy because the only way to get the cargo information is to use the journal data instead, which is only accessible from a file on your PC or Mac. I updated EDProxy some time ago to support this and have built the corresponding changes into the Android version of EVA. Since then I've simply not had time to do final testing of this, and move the changes to the iPad version of EVA. However, I am working steadily through things and will be putting this out as an update at some point.

Thanks for the quick answer and for your hard work! I'm using the iOS version of EVA and I installed EDProxy about half an hour ago... currently waiting for it to finish creating its EDSM database which is taking forever! Once it's done, I'll fire everything up and give it a try. [smile]

Yes, thanks Jim for the updates! This is one of the best apps I’ve used for E: D. I can even use it in VR, ...while looking through the nose gap. :p

Flimley

Everything looks great, although I decided to not use EDProxy as it was not automatically refreshing the system I'm currently in. I'm now polling Frontier's servers and it refreshes almost as soon as I jump into a new system. :)

However, I'm getting "EDSM error code 401: Duplicate request". Any idea? Maybe I set EDSM up wrong, but I did input my CMDR name and API.

EDIT: Could it be because I'm also using EDDiscover and ED Market Connector which also send data to EDSM?

Last edited:
Everything looks great, although I decided to not use EDProxy as it was not automatically refreshing the system I'm currently in. I'm now polling Frontier's servers and it refreshes almost as soon as I jump into a new system. :)

However, I'm getting "EDSM error code 401: Duplicate request". Any idea? Maybe I set EDSM up wrong, but I did input my CMDR name and API.

EDIT: Could it be because I'm also using EDDiscover and ED Market Connector which also send data to EDSM?

Obviously 1 request is enough to us, so we block further request ^^
Do you really need to have 3 software sending the same thing on EDSM and EDDN at the same time?

Obviously 1 request is enough to us, so we block further request ^^
Do you really need to have 3 software sending the same thing on EDSM and EDDN at the same time?

No sorry, let me rephrase, I have 3 software with the ability to do it. It was enabled only in EDDiscovery, disabled in ED Market Connector and I just disabled it also in EVA. :)

API failing

Hello.
I am having problems adding my API to the app.
I have used copy paste and even done it by hand.
But I keep receiving a msg that my key is wrong.
But it knows where I am parked and what modules i have on my ship.
The error msg stays on screen for several taps on the dismiss button.
Can any one help me?

Hi Tengill,

I think I already answered this via support but for others - the API key for EDSM must match the commander name. Normally that is the same on EDSM as it is in the Elite: Dangerous client, but you can override that in EVA's settings if you need to. It's your EDSM commander name you need to add, not an email or account name.

Big update for EVA on Android yesterday

Hi all,

I posted a major update for EVA yesterday - Android only for now, but iOS will follow at some point soonish.

Beyond the usual bugfixes, the difference here is that it can now track cargo and fuel again, which means that the trade route guidance is working as it should be. This got broken a long time ago when Frontier removed the cargo data from their API; I've used internal contacts at Frontier a number of times going back a couple of years but never had any answer beyond "I'll ask around". The fix is more complicated than it might appear, and depends on tracking the game's state using the journal logs that are created on your PC. This means that it's now much more important to install EDProxy - a new version 2.4 at https://github.com/jimkeir/EDProxy/releases - which is able to send the journals out.

The plus side of all this is that with access to the journals, there is a lot more information to be sent to EDDN and EDSM, and I'm planning on adding support for Inara when I find time.

I'm also planning to do some videos on how to get the best out of it - is that something that people would find useful? If so, what would you like to see covered?

Wow nice work.
I will check it out to night.
Yes, i for one always love it when developers create videos showing how things work.[up]

So i downloaded and installed the version of EDProxy you linked to.
However when i run the program, it just sits there.
I can not put any info in and the options under file do not work.
I think i might be doing something wrong, do i need to have the game running?

Hi,

You'll need the very latest version of EVA for Android to get much out of the journals. The game doesn't have to be running but since EDProxy sends across realtime journal entries, it's pretty pointless otherwise! You should be able to see EVA appearing in the client list once it starts, and EVA's running.

Beta available with test features

Hi Commanders,

I've just posted a beta for Android only with a cool new feature - you can completely customise the speech options!

This is very new and needs to be tested, so suggestions or feedback would be most welcome. Right now the customisations don't have a "user-friendly" interface, you need to alter a configuration file by hand, but it's not too tricky if you're careful. Here's the procedure:

1. Download the beta version of EVA from https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.lightroomplugins.eva
  2. Go to the Speech section of Settings and tap the "Export" button for "Transfer Phrases"
  3. Save that file anywhere you can get hold of it and edit it - email, OneDrive etc.
  4. Edit the file - see below!
  5. Back in EVA, tap the "Import" button of "Transfer Phrases" and select the file you just edited.
  6. If you want to, set the "Familiar Name" to something other than your Commander name. You want EVA to call you "Sir"? This is your chance!

You can, of course, send the resulting file to friends for them to import.

I'd love to see what people can come up with for this. You want a less "cold" ship computer? One using all Holly's favourite phrases, or Marvin, or HAL? Go to it - and let me know!

The File Format
It's a standard JSON file with a fairly simple structure. Each entry is a map from a Journal event name (see http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/journal/v11/Journal_Manual_v11.pdf for more details). The value will be either a simple bit of text, or an array of several bits of text that will be chosen at random, or a structure containing two options - "With" and "Default". Some examples:

A simple bit of text:
Code:
"HeatDamage": "Systems taking thermal damage."

A choice between several bits of text:
Code:
"RefuelAll": [
    "Fuel levels at maximum.",
    "Fuel tanks full."
  ]

Different options, depending on whether the "Submitted" value was sent by the Journal and is non-zero, or true. In this case, for the journal entry "Interdicted", if the "Submitted" value was part of that journal entry and was true, then one of the first two phrases will be used otherwise the "Default" phrase will be used.
Code:
  "Interdicted": {
    "With": {
      "Submitted": [ "Allowing interdiction by {Interdictor}.", "Submitted to hostile ship {Interdictor}." ]
    },
    "Default": "Interdicted by hostile ship {Interdictor}."
  }

You can use more than one value name inside "With" too, so you can use different phrases depending on the exact details of any given Journal event. They can also be nested, so anywhere you would expect to see a phrase, you can also use a list of phrases or a further sub-condition. This should allow for a lot of subtlety.

Customising the Messages
Each phrase will be modified by EVA, replacing anything in braces if it's recognised. In the last example, "{Interdictor}" would be replaced by the name of the interdicting ship, as the Journal entry gave it. Alternatively, you can use any value from the data that's sent out by Frontier's "Companion App API" such as "commander.name" or "commander.credits". Finally, one special case is "{FamiliarName}", which is a value you can set in the Settings page to be used for anything you like.
Code:
"DockSRV": "Welcome back, {FamiliarName}."

Attachments

• journal_speech.json.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 184
@ jimkeir
Nice to see this still in development. You may ask a moderator to get your threat moved to: Released & Active Player Tools

An while I'm here allready: Could you add the "marketId" field to your EDDN commodities, outfitting and shipyard messages? It's in the cAPI response of "market" and "shipyard" as "id" field. This makes listener more robust as they can check the system and station name against an unique id which is the same for all.

Hi,

Yes, still very much here!

The marketID field - I can add that easily enough. Yes, I just re-checked the schema descriptions and it's on there, so I'll get that added to both iOS and Android builds immediately.

I have made a raregoods list with the corresponding marketids: rare_commodity.csv

You can let your user know when they are docked at a station which should have a raregood on the market (the raregood may be suppressed because of various reasons, eg, faction change, government change, ...).

Hi all,

I've found a crash bug in EVA when running against the latest version of Elite:Dangerous, for iOS only. There's already a fix waiting for approval with Apple, so please bear with me for a day or two. I'm going to be doing a lot more testing with the new ship types that are now available, so more updates should follow soon after that!

Tiny font on engineered modules

Engineered modules are showing up in teeny tiny font on iPhone X.

p.png

Also, Chieftain, Challenger and Crusader all show up as “Type X”.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom